How to aim properly

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by isaac318, Mar 18, 2014.

1. isaac318

isaac318 New Member

I was told by some that when aiming it is better to keep bother eyes open if possible for better depth perception. As opposed to shutting one eye. Is there any truth to this?

I have practiced this technique without actually taking a shot, and it feels comfortable.

Thanks!:D

2. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

Thread moved to "Training & Safety"

3. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Depends on preference mostly and what type of shooting. I was trained both eyes open for things like raiding houses and cqb for situational awareness but when I shoot for precision with a scopes rifle I will close my left eye

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I never miss the toilet bowl when I use both eyes. You should practice in the dark too. Sorry...I am a bit evil.

I shoot with both eyes open to be aware of surroundings. I do not see a difference in my shooting using one or two eyes. Plus, in a gun fight you will not shoot one eyed. Trust me.

5. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

It may feel strange at first but once you are train both open it will become natural.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Trying to close one eye while aiming does use more facial muscles than keeping both eyes open.

In a weekend long competition, using those extra muscles does tire you out quicker.

Try walking around and keep one eye closed.

7. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

When I first started shooting pistol last year I used the one eye method. It worked but as mentioned above my eye got tired quickly. Started practicing at the house with both eyes open. Had somewhat of a double vision sine I had the pistol on one side. With practice I quickly learned which object was my intended target.

Another thing to learn is keeping the front site in focus.

When I got the scope for the rifle I have been keeping both eyes open and it has been working out pretty good. Every once in a while I notice I was closing one eye with the scope though. Could be a habit thing.

8. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Im hoping you shoot righty.

With a scope i close one eye, but if using a red dot i keep both yes open and the dot appears to hang in your full sight view

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

In a dynamic drill or shotgun hunting/clays, both open. In a static drill, including bullseye and benchrest, one eye.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Even when I use a scope I shoot with both eyes open. I would look like Elmer Fudd trying to acquire a target with one eye closed, even with a scope.

Which way did he go? Which way did he go?

Here is decent link by Glyn Bindon the founder of Trijicon.

[ame]http://youtu.be/NpGSKKgWWks[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  11. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Both eyes open here all the time; open, peep or optics.. The only time I will close one eye is to preserve a bit of night vision if the situation requires it.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

Mr bindon didnt invent the "bindon aiming concept" he just gave it a name, created optics which made it a lot easier, and marketed it.

Two eyes open has been the correct way to launch projectiles since the first hominid discovered that a handful of poop tossed on a buddy was funny... With optics it is how its been done if you want to survive dangerous game or as a sniper in war.

Trijicon makes it very very easy to do with their superb illuminated reticles.

13. isaac318

isaac318 New Member

Wow, tons of great information here. Looks like i'll be practicing with both eyes open. It does feel more comfortable and the depth perception is nice too.

Thanks guys!

14. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

You beat me to it Jager. :D

One open or both open makes no difference to me. Then again, I am blind in my right eye, so that could be a big part of it. When i could still use both eyes, I only dropped to one for precision shooting, or if I was shooting non dominant eye. Everything else was both eyes open for situational awareness and target aquisition.

15. jarrodsquito

jarrodsquito New Member

This depends on if you are using your sights or not. If you are not using your sights and are using natural body alignment you leave both eyes open and allow your focus to be on the target/threat.

If you are utilizing your sights to gain precision you would close an eye and allow you visual focus to be on the front sight.

If you need to gain precision and utilize your sights you should utilize them to the best you can. These situations are actually less common than not using your sights. The result of leaving both eyes open and focusing on the front sight is both eyes are pointed in a straight line at the front sight.

This would be the point where your vision crosses and the result is seeing 2 targets. The further away the target is the further the separation is. Many older ways of thinking taught to shoot at the middle of the 2 targets.

If you need to gain precision by using your sights gain every bit you can. Giving it back by shooting at the middle of the 2 targets is foolish.

As far as a gain in peripheral vision is concerned your eyes only focus on very slim margin of what is in front of them. Stop the known threat then assess your area to get a much better picture of your surroundings.

16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have lazy eye. But even my lazy eye does more than one might think. No, I can't clearly see a target with my lazy eye. But I can see the location of the target with my lazy eye.

17. nosaj

nosaj New Member

I have a lazy son.....and he aims/shoots pretty well:D

18. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Which ever works best for YOU! Personally I am very left eye dominate so I close my right eye unless I am not using my sights (point shooting). ;)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014