How safe is your gun safe from a toddler ?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by downsouth, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'm calling complete and utter bs on this one. Yes small cheap safes can be thrown down on a corner and broken open and a child could watch you push a 3 or 4 button code and replicate it but half those safes weren't locked and I know that kid isn't better at picking locks than me.
    Anti-gunner bs!
    I'd like to see that kid pick up my 200# safe that's lag bolted to the floor and wall.

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

yeah my combo has 7 button sequence. and im pretty sure the manuel tells you to bolt, or other wise secure it down. this video was rigged.

3. FAS1

FAS1 Member

4. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

I only trust combination locks. And the box must be bolted down.

5. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

Got A cheep safe. But its bolted to the shelf which is also reinforced. It can be pryed open still. But locks just slow down crucks and kids. Your better off teaching kids that guns are not toys

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Why would someone leave a safe unbolted and laying around for a kid to play with? You would think a cop would know better.

7. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

If any kid can pick up and drop my 800 pound safe to get it open, I'll let them have anything in it.

8. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

a child of that age should NEVER see that safe OR see you putting your weapon in it!!!:mad:

9. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

This looks like BS to me..

My safe was almost 1200lbs empty and now chalk full of guns and ammo.. I bet its got to be close to a ton now and in the basement.. If you can even budge it nevermind bounce it you can have it.. But you have to load it yourself lol

10. orangello

orangello New Member

I don't see a kid getting my safe open very easily; i also don't see any kids in my house.

11. Rarity

Rarity New Member

I don't have a gun safe yet, I am thinking of getting a really big one when I can afford it sometime around. There aren't any toddlers/children.

12. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

The whole video is just a setup. First I do not consider those to be safes, those are lock boxes. Part of a correctly installed lock box is bolting it or chaining to to something secure, this was not done in the vid nor by the cop whose kid got ahold of his firearm. Using something incorrectly is not really the fault of the product. I keep my pistols and ammo in a large steel lock box, you could pry it open with a large screw driver, its purpose is not to keep out thieves, just my kids and it does a fine job at that. I will be getting a real safe soon though.

13. FAS1

FAS1 Member

Quick access handgun safes fill a need for many people and are here to stay. There certainly are better quality ones than the ones shown in the detailed report on my earlier post. Most of the issues they discuss and show in the videos have nothing to do with bolting them down, although I agree they all should be. Gaining access through gaps and unused holes was one of the easiest ways they were defeated. If your handgun safe has plastic or rubber externally, there seems to be a good chance of access in that area, sometimes without tools. The keypad cover on some are just glued down and can be pulled off with your hand aparently. A toddler won't be able to do this but an older child could.

14. billt

billt New Member

My home is 100% "safe" from toddlers. We have yet to have one in it since it was built almost 16 years ago. No intentions of breaking that streak. ;)

15. GrimReefer

GrimReefer New Member

my mom still calls me a kid... can i give it a shot?

16. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

My gun safe is very dangerous, if a toddler managed to rip the bolts out of the wall, and it fell on the little S.O.B., he'd be crushed beyond recognition.

17. kirbinster

kirbinster New Member

My home is quite secured against toddlers. We have two large Siberian Huskies which would likely prevent a toddler from breaking in. In the event they did we have gates to keep the dogs out of the room where the safe is, so it would probably keep the toddler out. In event the toddler got by both of these lines of defense the safe is bolted down -- I think we are good to go :)

BTW - they should not call these things safes, they are locking boxes. They are not designed to keep thieves out, just keep honest people honest.

18. Rentacop

Rentacop Active Member

Why keep a kid around the house anyway ? You hear about accidents involving kids every day . I suppose if you are a properly-trained licensed day care provider, maybe that's okay . But these people who want to have a kid just to prove how manly they are...forget it...I can see this discussion is going nowhere...You have your opinion--I have mine . Nobody has to have a kid . End of story .

( satire )

19. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Whoa..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.