How prepared am I?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by JR36, Oct 27, 2010.

1. JR36

JR36 New Member

Disclaimer: Post could get long-winded.

Due to being sick and stuck in my apt I just swapped my bug out bag from summer to winter setting and did some inventory. In the process I thought about bouncing my gear and plan off other like minded individuals to get some feedback from another point of view.

My situation: I am a 25 year old former USMC 0311. I live in western NC, home is 1.5 hrs(drive)/75 miles east of where I currently live. Drive a Jeep with 4wd and always keep at least a half a tank of gas. Ex girlfriend lives in the same town as I currently do and home is the same for both of us. Home is rolling hills/forests with plenty of game/water/pasture, low population density, buckle of the bible belt where everyone knows each other and average distance between houses is roughly 500m.

My plan: Grab the girl, my bag, and head for home. Between here and home there are several bridges which could become my main obstacle depending on the disposition of local riff-raff. Ditching the Jeep (as heart breaking as it'd be) is certainly a possibility. I'd hope to make it at least half way in the Jeep due to several reasons: that would put main population centers behind me, from there is a straight shot east to home, and half way is a deep gorge with the longest bridge I'd have to contend with and its at the bottom of a 6% grade.

Assuming other people are bugging out and I'm not just crazy, I figure most people would be heading West and not East. West being into the mountains of western NC and away from Charlotte. So now I'm on foot. I'd plan on sticking within eye/ear shot of the road simply for ease of direction but could ditch the road if I had to. I might swing south at one point to avoid going straight through my last population center(two city area of around 12k pop.) before the happy hunting grounds of home.

The gear: Current bag is my bug out/camping bag but as of two days ago all of the listed items are in/on the bag. Bag goes with me in the Jeep if I go more than 30m from my apt. I really need to weigh this thing and start cutting it down I think.

-Bandaids x14
    -Neosporin
    -Floss
    -razors x2
    -bar soap
    -liquid soap
    -toothbrush
    -toothpaste (travel size)
    -pain killers
    -baby wipes
    -chapstick
    -toe nail clippers
    -medical tape
    -second skin patches x2
    -tp
    -condom
    -electrical tape
    -whistle x2
    -WP matches x50
    -firesteel
    -magnesium block
    -bic lighter x2
    -sharpie
    -chem light x2
    -bug spray
    -change $2
    -Batteries x4 AA, x2 AAA, x4 cr123
    -sheets of paper x4
    -hand sanitizer
    -NC road map
    -small notebook
    -map pen
    -sewing kit
    -Nat Geo Nat. Park maps x4 (Doubt these will last much longer in the bag)
    -knife sharpener x2
    -Flashlight x2 (rotary) (Fenix P3D runs on CR123's)
    -Headlamp (Princeton Tec Aurora runs on AAA's)
    -Cotton sleeping bag liner
    -sleeping bag (Kelty Tundra 15-Degree)
    -sleeping pad
    -gloves x2 (cold weather)(work)
    -bandana x2
    -grunt roll (boxers, tee shirt and pair of cold weather socks, all synthetic)
    -socks (cotton)
    -base layers (patagonia capilene 3 top/bottoms)
    -rain coat
    -sunscreen
    -ENO single hammock
    -Fixed blade knife (Buck Omni)
    -cheapass compass
    -pure aqua tablets
    -duct tape

Loose items around apt to be tossed into bag:
    -KaBar
    -personal daily notebook
    -big ol survival book
    -USMC guidebook for Marines (to train conscripts to beat back the Reds)
    -spare set of woodland cammies
    -NC state map (85 pages of 1:150,000 maps) (Might just tear out the pages I'd actually need)
    -toboggan
    -scarf

I've a list of items to grab from around my apt stuck in my daily notebook. The list includes those loose items listed above. Ill not post the portion that contains my PC tower, guitar, and other luxury items for fear of mockery :) Not every situation is the Defcon 1 Zombie Invasion and if I can take my ol guitar ima gonna. I've a few items already in the Jeep like a gallon of water, spare food and some spare clothing.

Currently planning on getting a new headlamp that uses 123 batteries to cut down on needing two types of batteries. I need to toss a tarp in the kit, restock my 550 cord and get a decent lensatic compass.

As for the gigantic oversight that I'm sure everyone has noticed. I'm planning on building an AR to join me in this hypothetical journey. Was torn for a bit on shotgun or handgun over AR but I figure I'm just trying to get to home base in this plan, where we have plenty of shotguns/handguns.

Thoughts? Opinions? Feedback? Anything I've overlooked? What do I need to ditch? I could certainly could drop a lot the weight of current set up if I had two bags dedicated for both the camping role and bob role but currently funds don't allow me to double up on almost everything. I'm also fairly sure I'm blurring the line between a 72hr bag and survival bag.

Edit: Everything that cant get wet is in zipplock bags. Essentials (first aid, water tabs, etc) are in 3 layers of bags.

Thanks for reading my novel.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

There seems to be a bit more than you may need or want to carry there.

I know that one is none and two is one, but since this will be more of a Get Home Bag, you may be able to eliminate some redundancy.

Two razors? Take one

Liquid and Bar soap? Pick one

Cut back on your batteries

Two knife sharpeners?

Two whistles?

Three base layers? Can you get by with two?

Do you need the cotton sleeping bag liner?

What does your GF have in her BOB? Does she have one?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Ya might want to add these....;)

Good nylon rope.

[​IMG]

Set of various carabiners.

[​IMG]

4. JR36

JR36 New Member

Good points CA. Reckon I'll set aside my current double ups for the start of a different bag. I should have been more clear on the base layers, there is only one set in the bag, they are lvl 3's which is the warmest of the Patagonia line. Seems I forgot to remove the cotton sleeping bag line when I changed over to winter setting. The gal ain't got a bag and isn't swayed my arguments on the subject, so I guess I'm packing for two. Thanks CA.

Thanks for the rope suggestion IGETEVEN. Not sure how I overlooked that detail. I've got some cheapo carabiners attached to the daisy chain on the bag which hold my knife and Fenix light. Should snag some legit ones considering their uses and weight.

5. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I would suggest some food, water, and a water purifier.

Something as simple as prepacked tuna, jerky, or energy bars could keep you going. A couple of bottles of water would be my minimum and a steri-pen or filter straw could make found water good enough to use.

6. JR36

JR36 New Member

Seems I forgot another detail. I have 1 bottle of water, a nalgene and pure aqua tablets for water. For food I have a diminishing supply of MRE main meals and peanutbutter crackers that needs restocking. Thanks for pointing out my oversight and reminding me to resupply.

7. CA357

JR, you're probably way ahead of 90% of the population.

8. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I'm thinking I'll find an old double edged razor at a garage sale and buy blades!

A good bag liner can lower the "Thermal Protection" 10 degrees. If your bag is rated to 15 degrees, with the lliner it becomes a 5 degree bag. They are light weight and when rolled into the bag and stored in a stuff sack, they take up no room.

Egyptian Cotton - 7 degrees
    Silk - 9.5 degrees

9. CA357

I stand corrected.

10. JR36

JR36 New Member

Ooo thanks for the heads up dune, I never thought to just keep the liner in the sleeping bag. That should free up some space inside the pack itself. I need to find a suitable size WP bag instead of the stuff sack if I can considering the bag is outside my pack. Or just a large enough poncho to cover the whole pack hmmm.

Thanks CA, that's reassuring.

11. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

Good Pack :)

Sir; how about a few garbage bags;{leaf bags}
    how about some zip ties; {much can be snugged together}
    Tampon's; work well for both you and her/them in case of a large wound

you have a well thought out pack:)

12. Seven

Seven New Member

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  13. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

You need to lighten up this trip should take 5 days at the most.
    Dump :
    Road maps...you have travelled this route many times
    sleeping pad...why do you need that with a hammock
    sharpie, map pen, sheets of paper, daily log...you can write the novel later
    you are X2 on a lot of stuff.....added weight
    large survival book

The main focus IMHO is food, the bare minimum in clothing,(military ecwcs is light and waterproof) good boots and plenty of socks and underwear to prevent blisters and gaulding. Water is another issue. I would start heavy with 2 3liter camelbacks and then rely on aqua tabs. Use your hammock and dump the sleeping pad, the tarp you intend to get will provide your shelter. REmember you will also be carrying approx. 10 more pounds with the AR and ammo. Test some different configurations for weight and go with your gut. I think you are adding too much weight trying to prepare for every possible thing that could go wrong.....just my .02 cents. Sunscreen in winter, bugspray in winter?....there is a 1/2 lb.

14. JR36

JR36 New Member

Good man 556, just what I was after. I think you confirmed what I thought with "I think you are adding too much weight trying to prepare for every possible thing that could go wrong...". I'm certainly prone to this issue and I think a lot of this stems from this bag serving two roles. I need to get two bags or cut this one down to what it needs to be. I go camping with a lot of guys who are perpetually under prepared and I nothing stokes my ego like saying "You need X? Oh I got that." Course see how my ego feels when I'm humping three extra pounds of **** I don't need when it counts. By just running the numbers of average walking speed divided by the miles I have to cover, I'm running too much weight if I plan on this being a "Get home" bag.

Appreciate it.

Neophyte1, garbage bags are a solid idea as are a few zip ties. Little to no weight for multiple applications. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  15. CA357

Tampons are good, but don't forget sanitary napkins. :eek:

They make excellent field dressings and don't weigh hardly anything. ;)

I pack 'em.

16. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Why not split it up into 2 bags and make that ex-girlfriend carry one?

17. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

JR36: You will be okay because of your concern for preparedness.
    From your initial list you were well prepared to spend a week at Boy Scout Camp...not hike 75 miles. Someone could have probably tracked you by the trail of discarded items.:D I've only had one major hike in my life, (60 miles in New Mexico over 5 days) so I'm no expert but the pounds seem to multiply times 2 after 5 miles or so. I have done several 12-15 milers with all my gear so I know a little bit about it.....A good fitting pack can make the added weight a little more bearable.:)

18. quigleysharps4570

quigleysharps4570 New Member

Am I the only one that thinks his "ex-girlfriend" oughta carry any god damn thing?

19. JR36

JR36 New Member

Shes more of a hiker than I am so I'm sure I could toss some stuff in her pack and take some of the weight.

I'm in the process of cutting down my pack now. I'm going to try to weigh it before and after just to see the difference. Odds are next time I'm back home I'll saddle it up and go tearing through the woods and get an idea of its actual weight.

20. CA357

Sounds good. Let us know how it works out.