How old were you when you decided to get your CCW and why?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Gh0zt36, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Although I have owned firearms most of my life and love to shoot I was 34 had 2 guns pulled on me and just was really lucky both perps were cowards but I figure jails are full of non cowards who WILL pull the trigger. So that being the case I decided the third time I will not be a surviving victim again.

How bout you?

2. Hollander

Hollander New Member

Had one for years but decided to purchase and carry at age 66. To old to run or to fight. Instead I got proficient with a variet of guns and now carry a Kahr MK40 elite but have two Springfield EMP's, Srpingfield Ultracompact Stainless 45, and have a Springfield Microcompact 45 on order which will be carried in the winter months. I have gotten myself educated on many different guns and shoot three to four times a month to stay sharp.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I was 21 when I purchased my first handgun it was a Smith and Wesson Model 27 5". Still have one today! That is when I applied for the CCW in Indiana. That same year I started working as Reserve Deputy on the County Sheriff's Department.
    I think it was the same year Noah ran the animals off the Ark if I remember!:D

4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Nothing bad for me. 31 years old and CC became legal in florida in 1986 I think. Grew up with firearms and would take a jeep or buggy to the woods at 13 with a shotgun or 357 and back then we all kept our rifles,shotgun or handun in our trucks even at highschool. Just seems like the natural thing to do when it became legal and able to do so. Been carry'n since.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  5. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

the need of ten (10)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  6. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

56 years old. Why? Because that's the first time the were legal here.

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I was 23 and it was 2001,whenever oklahoma first passed the self-defense act the age was 23+ to get it.they have now changed it to 21

8. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

I just got mine in January 2011, so age 30

9. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

Got my permit and purchased my first pistol (in my name) on my 21st birthday. Always been a hunter and a sidearm is a must when in some of these woods. Needed the permit to carry in vehicle loaded. Now that I am older and have learned my firearms well, I carry 90% of the time.

10. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Lemme guess WI? :D

11. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

How come? .......

12. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

39, because there are some crazy people out and about.

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Dang you old sucker you!! :)

14. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

I was 50. A lot of my friends were getting their permits. And it was still pretty new here so I took the class and got my card. I kind of felt like it was the thing to do. I also had a crazy azz niece running around at the time and I didn't really know what she would do. She would get on her "pharmaceuticals" and it was a whole 'nother story. Now, I believe my wife is real close to going and getting her's.

15. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

Got mine at age 27, no real reason why i waited i have been shooting forever just seemed like the right thing to do

16. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

I was 24 and joined the local Sheriff's dept. At that time I did not have a small side arm - - - got a S&W SS model 60 5 shot 38 with 1 5/8" barrel in 1975 and carried that either on my ankle or under my left arm untill mid year last year - - - still a good weapon but I got a Bodyguard 380 that is a little lighter and easier to carry.

17. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I was a 24 YO grunt stationed at Ft Lewis WA living "on the economy" with a with a wife and 2 small children. Rough neighborhood combined with having my spine fused made the decision for me.

16 years of daily carry later and I've still not had to pull the trigger. Sure hope my luck continues to hold!

Tack

18. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

I've always enjoyed shooting but i didn't really get the "itch" until late November 2010 when i bought my first 9mm. And when my wife and I decided to have a baby, I had the sense of protection. It's now more important than ever to me. I take it very seriously and try to practice every day w/my ccw draws and gonna try for competition this spring. I have the fever bad...bought, traded and sold 9 guns since...

19. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Thanks bro! Er wait......I'm sad to say I've got the gray to prove it.

20. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I was 68 & ready to retire. I expected to be making a few sight seeing trips, shopping at night in hot weather, etc. & wanted to be armed. Before that, I worked for a company which wasn't anti-gun, but because of some employee problems in one of it's branches, adopted a no weapons policy. Being a salesman & spending 12-14 hrs. per day in/on company property, plus illegal to carry at the chemical & power plants I called on, couldn't justify a CHL or I'd had it sooner.