How often??

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by mahall, May 29, 2013.

1. mahall

mahall New Member

What's the general rule on cleaning guns kept in a safe, unused!! Some guns I rarely shoot!! I wipe down with cleaner and oil once a month!! With a detailed clean and field strip about every 6 months!! Does that sound about right?? Anyone??

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I don't own a safe. I have a carry pistol and a shotgun in a sleeve leaning against the corner of my closet.

My carry gets wiped once a week, and thoroughly cleaned once a month (or after range, whichever comes first), same with my shotgun.

No general rule, just my preference.

3. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

Id say what you are doing is plenty just make sure you have some sort of dehumidifier to keep the moisture in your safe down especially if you live in a humid climate.

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Do you live on the coast with the smell of salt in the air? Humid, or dry desert? If you live near the ocean or anywhere there is high humidity, I would clean them often. Anywhere out west in Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Montana, I would clean them once a year, but check on them periodically 1 or 2 times in a year.

5. mahall

mahall New Member

I'm fairly close to the beach(10 miles) but they stay in a safe, in the AC

6. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

The moist air can still sometimes get trapped in there and a cheap dehumidifier and a light wipedown with oil every now and then would probobly be a good idea to prevent surface rust.

7. mahall

mahall New Member

Thanks! Small safe! I guess they make small dehumidifiers?? Probably at gun stores??

8. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Nope. They make them in factories, and sell them in gun stores! lol :D

9. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Large sacks if desiccant work for me.

10. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

If you don't have the funds, get a small open can of uncooked rice and keep it in there. Rice absorbs humidity. Or even better, some of those packets of silicone that are found in new electronic equipment, etc.

11. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah. Every grocer has uncooked, canned rice on the shelf. ;)

12. mahall

mahall New Member

I'm looking online at different deals!! I need something wireless and maybe disposable!! Running power to my safe is more than I want to tackle at this point!!

13. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

White rice is disposable, when it starts to get clumped together that means its doing its job, and then toss it and get a new one :D

14. mahall

mahall New Member

Only own 4 guns! And one of them is usually on me or near me!! Not the most expensive guns, but still I want them kept like new and last a lifetime-:)

15. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Just cleaning it the once a month and they will outlast you and your children's lifetime

16. MisterMcCool

That is a terrible reward for a job well done. :)

17. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

then put it in one of them plastic vacuum bags and save it for shtf times :p

18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

You can take a sock and fill it with Kitty litter, every month or so put it in the oven and bake it at 350 for a half hour to dry it back out and put it back in the safe. Works well as a dessicant and its cheap to boot. If you want to spend some money on it you can get a silica gel dessicant bag for the safe and do the same thing by baking it in the oven periodically. If you want to get fancy you can get one of those moisture strips to monitor the moisture inside the safe.

19. mahall

mahall New Member

image-396185317.jpg

Thinking something along these lines!! No batteries, no cords, recharge once a month-:)

20. MisterMcCool

Unused litter!