How often tear down frame?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by CHLChris, Dec 11, 2010.

1. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I was cleaning my 1911's today and decided to remove the mainspring housing pin. Now, to let you know, I'm someone who just jumps right in and figures it out as I go along. The mainspring housing ends up popping off the end because of the hammer spring (OF COURSE, everyone here says). Hmm...a little more complex than I wanted to deal with this afternoon.

Well, I decided to just put the housing back, replace the pin, and return another day.

How often should one take the entire frame apart, down to all the parts, to clean and oil?

Every time? Only every few months? What?

Thanks.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I never take it down to the frame unless I'm refinishing the pistol.

I just remove the grips and field strip it, spray the entire thing down with Hoppe's Elite and clean it. Then I just lube it and reassemble.

Sometimes I just field strip it, wipe it down, hit the rails with some Q Tips, scrub the barrel and feed ramp, then lube and reassemble if I haven't put many rounds through it.

Before I leave the range, I usually wipe the exterior down with a gun wipe and run a Boresnake through the barrel a few times.

3. kenhesr

kenhesr New Member

On a new weapon or new to me, before I shoot it. Check for burrs and shavings and wipe off their lubricants and replace with mine.

My carry piece, every year around New Years day when I replace the smoke alarm batteries. It gets quite a bit of range time, like to check for normal wear and relube it. Every other time, (2 yrs) It gets new recoil, main and firing pin springs. Don't really need them, but they are creap insurance.

All the others, after the first time I try to do it every 4 or 5 years, unless they were rained on or brought in from the cold and they sweat. Then they get the full treatment right away.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I typically strip a weapon when I first get it, after breaking it in and after that....whenever the mood hits. My normal cleaning consists of field stripping and rinsing the frame with brake clean, allowing it to dry and then oiling so it gets some attention between complete breakdown.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  5. JonM

JonM Moderator

i detail strip my 1911's for a thorough cleaning about every 500 rounds. good time to inspect for cracks and excessive wear. same for non-1911's as well.

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

For those out there (like me) who are weak on some terminology, what do you mean, exactly, by "detail strip"?

No single part is left connected to any other single part? The slide left intact and the frame taken apart?

That portion of the frame that houses the firing pin and extractor is a little daunting for me.

7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

"Detail strip" is taking the whole thing apart. I do it about once a year on most of my guns, but my 1911's are apart a bit more than that.

8. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Damn Jon, I don't want to strip mine every weekend!!

Scubie

9. surgicaltech

surgicaltech New Member

I'm anal as hell. I strip it down to a bare frame after every range session. I just can't help myself.

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

For me, about twice a year unless I've encountered a problem or I shoot a bunch of rounds in a single session...

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I am kinda lazy. Only when refinishing or repairing.

12. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I built my AR-15 from parts. The experience has let me know that I can take apart the whole thing, throw the parts into a pile, and still get everything back together without problems (a couple detent springs might mess with my brain...).

But the 1911 I just bought as is. I'm a little intimidated by a total tear-down, but I know it will be for sure worth every minute.

Any thoughts, particularly good books or videos? I can run a Google or Youtube search...that's not what I'm asking. Something in particular that has helped you?

Thanks for your time and help!

13. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

My only advice would be to pay very close attention to the orientation on the prongs of the main spring. I thought they were kind of intricate and a pain in the arse to get set right. I put mine together wrong a couple of times before I got it figured out, the pistol would only half cock.