How often should i clean my weapon

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by gearhead396, Jun 29, 2012.

1. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

I go to the range 3 times a week and shoot roughly 200 to 250 rounds. I always use lawman and monarch 230 fmj. Do I have to clean it every time I go?

2. marc29th

marc29th New Member

With modern non-corrosive ammo you don't have to clean them every time you go to the range. And if I went 3 times a week I might only them every other time. I go 2 or 3 times a month so I clean after every trip to the range. In fact just finished cleaning my Polish P64 and my S&W M&P Shield.

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I clean after every trip to the range.

4. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Also I hope you reload because that's a lot of .45 rounds going down range every week.

5. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

When the guns get dirty just trade them in for clean ones.

6. cuba

cuba New Member

If it's a new to you pistol clean it every time, that way you'll have an opportunity to inspect her and get well acquainted, and theres nothing wrong with caressing, and showing her some love too :rolleyes:, if you treat her good she will reward you with many years of security and fun.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  7. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I clean every range trip. Granted I go once a month or two due to work. I break mine down completely after 300 rounds, just because lol.

8. gollygee

gollygee New Member

If it is also a carry pistol, I wouldn't carry a dirty gun. If not for carry, it should be able to handle 200 rounds or so without a problem, so once a week should be sufficient. But personally, I clean after every trip even if I shoot only a couple of mag loads because almost all my pistols are subject to being carried & if I decide to change my carry, they are all cleaned & loaded.

9. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

Depends on your gun and the ammo you use.

But few guns need to be cleaned after every range trip.

I always wipe them down with a silicon cloth.

But I don't clean them very often (I shoot a lot)

:cool:

10. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Wipe them down good after each shoot. When the round count hits 500 or so its time to think about a good cleaning. That is for 1911s not other guns.

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I clean mine every 1,000 rds or so weather they need it or not :)

12. porkchops

porkchops New Member

Well, if you ask me clean or not, the gun should fire every single time as your life depended on it! so clean every 10k rounds or so. But that's just me. Signed Gaston

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012