How often is a CCW used against it's owner?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by texaswoodworker, Mar 21, 2013.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Tried searching for this, but couldn't find much.

How often is a gun forcibly taken from a CCL holder, and used against them? I guessing rarely, but would like to see some actual numbers.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i am sure it has happened from time to time, but honestly, i can't remember ever hearing about a case like that. sorry, i know, i'm not much help here!:eek:

3. shouldazagged

shouldazagged New Member

That's one of a number of reasons I carry a J-frame EDC. It's much harder to take away if it's in my hand--the barrel is short, and the leverage is mine. But I don't know where you'd find figures on how often it happens.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I am sure that number would be directly tied to how often the CCW person trains with their weapon. For some of us that would be almost an imposibility. For others they are simply lucky that it hasn't happend yet.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Is it all about training? We have no idea how many people are armed each day? How many times does a civilian use his firearm to stop a crime without firing? We just do not know?
    Police however are trained and retrained. Each time an officer is involved with the use of a firearm it is recorded. So we know that 511 officers well trained were killed with their own weapons from 2000-2010.

6. towboater

towboater Active Member

Thats quite a few. Maybe they would be safer without em. jk

7. towboater

towboater Active Member

But the bad guy knew the police had a gun. Thats why I prefer Concealed Carry .

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

I always hear it will happen, must happen, lucky it hadn't happened yet. Yet no one, and I mean absolutely NO ONE has ever been able to provide the answer for me, to the very same question you've asked.

I have heard stories (legit, from newspapers) of robberies resulting in a stored gun being taken, FROM IT'S STORAGE PLACE, i.e. closet, behind the door, etc. etc., and used against their owners, but NEVER have heard of one being snatched from the hands of the owner or from a holster of someone legally open carrying.

That's more a gun storage issue rather than an oc vs cc issue.

9. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

That pretty much the response I expected. Just wanted to make sure. It's interesting that there is almost so data or really anything else on this. I can't really recall ever hearing about something like this happening. Like trip said, you'll hear about stored guns being used, but never concealed guns.

10. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Found this a while ago, statistic from FBI.

ForumRunner_20130321_213639.jpg

Incase you can't read it, it says only 1% of handguns used in self defense are taken by the criminal from the defender... or something like that.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Sounds like a very negligible number to me. I would suspect the instances are probably outnumbered by NDs.

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Much agreed

13. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

The only way my carry piece will ever be used against me is as a hammer, causr itll be empty :)

14. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

believe me, if it is happening, the news media would be reporting it like crazy in an anti-gun kinda way!

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

the percentage of that happening is probably around the same percentage as joe biden not lying in front of a camera

16. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

I am not sure about firearms being used against their owners i am sure it happens. But their are cases that the firearm was used to accidentally kill family members.

17. lfcshooter

lfcshooter New Member

^^Manta what are you up to?

18. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

You have lost me. They are talking about owners firearms being used against the owner i am pointing other negative things that can happen. So if you decide to carry a firearm there are things to consider. It could be taken of you and used against you other negative possibilities. PS I am not saying people should not carry firearms that's their decision there are plenty carrying them here.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  19. lfcshooter

lfcshooter New Member

Hmm thought for a minute there you were baiting

20. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I go with towboater on this one. That is why I do not like open carry.

I keep mine concealed. Nobody will know I have a gun until I have to use it.