Firearms Talk banner

how often do you.....

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  c3shooter 
#1 ·
clean your gun?

i usually bring it home from a trip and clean it. Or if ive been at the range ill always bring it home and clean and oil it ASAP. When i clean i break the entire firearm down and clean. Is this overkill? Ive heard of people only fully cleaning their guns a few times a month or even year?

#2 ·
It depends on the weapon really. I'd be careful with super high end bedded actions and some gas guns benefit from a little bit of carbon, but other than that, I strip them down and scrub the crap out of them for an hour or so when I get home from the range.

Also, as an aspiring sniper, you should get used to shooting "cold, fouled".

#4 ·
okay. just wanted to make sure that i wasnt the only one that got home and scrubbed the hell outta em before anything. :p
You aren't the only one, but I wish more were like you.

Every year, about a month to two weeks before hunting season, we see an influx of rifles, some needing new scopes put on, some needing a "trigger job" - which usually leads to a story about a "missed" shot, some wanting bedding, a muzzle break or a once over before going out to the range to site in. On more occassions than I care to admit, after over 5 years, I have seen perfectly good hunting rifles, fired only a few times, with barrels having a years worth of copper fouling and corrosion brought to light with the help of the mighty bore scope.

Funny though - the ex-military guys, almost 10 for 10, have weapons that are in perfect condition. How come you think that is? :p

JD

#6 · (Edited)
No such thing as "over-kill" when taking care of your equipment!
After a couple of hours enjoying my $1000 investment, a half hour cleaning it is not asking too much IMO.

#7 ·
Our snipers clean after every session (once a week) and fire one fouling shot through a clean bore to prep it for the shot that counts (and hopefully never comes). For extreme accuracy, many consider a perfectly clean barrel to be a bad thing.

#12 ·
I clean my firearms after everytrip to the range.
Like RL357Mag said, there is No such thing as "over-kill" when taking care of your equipment! I know guys who never clean there guns and don't understand when they jam or fail.

#13 ·
I clean my firearms after everytrip to the range.
Like RL357Mag said, there is No such thing as "over-kill" when taking care of your equipment! I know guys who never clean there guns and don't understand when they jam or fail.
That kinda reminds me of the people that never change their oil, or change the oil and not the filter - then they wonder why "that damn piece of sh$% is in the shop again!"

#15 ·
After eveery shoothing I do basic cleaning and then ATLEAT once a month I try to do a full cleaning

#16 ·
I think I'm borderline obsessive-compulsive when it comes to cleaning all of my guns. I clean the hell out of them every time I shoot them. The only exception to this rule is my deer rifle. Right before the season opens, I'll take it out and make sure it's still hitting where I want. I clean it and then shoot it one more time. Periodically throughout the season I will do the clean it and shoot it thing, especially if I get caught out in the rain.

#17 · (Edited)
I clean them when I get to them. It may be the same day may be next week or a month from now. I hate cleaning guns it is boring and monotonous and drives me out of my skull. Plus I can't clean in the house (In the AC) I have to clean out in the shed with no AC and bugs big *** bugs that kamakazy in to my head.

I feel that every time you run a patch down the barrel that is equal to one bullet. So if I shoot 50 shots and run 500 patches down the bore it is like shooting 550 rounds. I would rather shoot more and clean less. Kind of like exercising, your heart is only good for some many pumps so by running around all over the place keeping your heart rate high you are burning threw your limited ammount of pumps your heart will make. There for exercising will kill you faster than if you sit on your butt and do nothing.

#18 ·
Depends on what I am shooting. 22LR? Clean when the carbon starts to foul the action, or leak down onto my hand! (GRIN) But I also shoot 7.62 and 8mm CORROSIVE primed- clean immediately after shooting. Others in prep for storage, etc. Ref: patch= bullet, well, I clean from the breech- push a wet patch thru, and DO NOT pull it back thru. Jacketed bullets will leave metal fouling. I shoot a lot of soft lead wadcutter, and use a Lewis De-leader at least once a season. My auto pistols? Clean and lube after a shooting session. One exception is a Winchester Mdl 100- the gas system on that should never be put away dirty. Action gets pulled, weapon cleaned every session it gets fired. Go to the range, watch the benchrest shooters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.