How often do you clean?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by General_lee, Jan 23, 2010.

1. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I just wanted to see how many of you are as OCD as me about cleaning your guns.
    I clean mine after every range session.
    Sometimes I'll clean them even if they haven't been shot since the last cleaning. Like this morning, I noticed my Keltec was getting dust and pocket lint on the back of the internal hammer, so before I opened the store this morning, I gave him a good cleaning and lube.

2. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

I clean mine after every range session as well.
    I also cleaned my concealed carry pistol every month or so due to lint and dust as well.
    I dont think I would consider it OCD, Just good practice.

3. NYPD13

NYPD13 New Member

They all get a good cleaning after each time used with at least one really in depth cleaning and winterizing come fall. Carry guns every 30-90 days depending upon usage.

4. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I rotate and clean all weapons after use. Since my carry guns consist of three different guns and are the same ones I use firing in range shooting competitions, IDPA and shooting practice, they are well used and cleaned after each session.

This rotation of handguns keeps me proficient in their use, muscle memory and my response reaction, and the quality together time I spend with each, none of the handguns get jealous. ;)

Jack

5. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I clean them after each trip to the range, too. Sometimes, if they are really dirty, I leave them soaking in oil (or Hoppe's for the barrels and revolver cylinder chambers) overnight.

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

You soak them in oil every night?

7. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

The M&P gets broken down and cleaned after every time I go out to the range. The Mk III, being a b*tch to take down, only gets the chamber and barrel cleaned every time, and gets fully disassembled about once a month.

8. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

he said over night...

not

every night...

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

LOL I meant overnight. Every night would be overkill...just like overnight.

10. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

I clean after every visit to the range. My carry weapons I clean every 2 weeks. My hunting rifles will be wiped down with oil before I head out to the woods. Even if I'm unsuccessful during a hunting trip, when I'm back home the rifles get a thorough cleaning. The firearms that I don't use too often get a cleaning every 6 months.

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

When they need it! [​IMG]

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Thanks Cane for making me feel better.

I don't clean mine till I get misfires and jams. Until then I just keep banging away. They are guns made to be shot not primped like a women. I whore mine out a lot never had a single problem with them.

Same goes for rifles. I will clean my varmint rifle once maybe twice a year. Or if I have a good season 3 or 4 times. I will clean it at the beginning of the season in march april time then shoot it spring summer and fall then clean it again about november when I am done killin vermin with it.

13. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

These are all just opinions on how often each of us clean our guns, but I wouldn't wait until my carry gun has a misfire or jams before I clean it...I may not get another chance to clean it. :(
    I'm just saying...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  14. red ryder

red ryder New Member

depends on the gun.

i clean after every range trip. but not after every time it is fired.

however with my "sentimental" guns. i clean them after every time they are fired, and oil them and tuck them back in the cabinet.

they do have to be passed down to my future son/grandson some day :)

15. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

After every shooting session... I would go insane not knowing if my barrel was rusting if I didn't.

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I don't have a carry weapon.

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Barrels don't rust from some powder fouling. Unless your shooing some corrosive ammo.

18. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm picky about all my tools or machinery which includes my guns because I want them to last and to function properly. I clean my guns after every range outing. I just like knowing they are clean and well lubricated. My deer rifle gets cleaned before the season starts and then again when it's over.
    I don't disagree with tango or cane at all, my cleaning is overkil but I like it. Guys, I was my lawn mower deck, my weed eater and my chainsaw.

19. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I used to clean all the time then I get lazy and fed up with buying patches every time I turned around. I have seen ZERO decrease in life span or accuracy in any of my guns.

20. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

No self defense or home defense either?