How often do you clean your dirty magazines?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Hectocotylus, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Yes those magazines. Title says it all I havent cleaned the magazines for my .22 ever and am wondering if you have any guidelines or criteria for yourselves on these things.

2. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

I usually spray my mags with some form of break-free spray then wipe them down. Then afterwards I spray them down with a silicone spray to help keep dirt from collecting on them.

3. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Clean who? what? I'm confused, lol. I've never cleaned a magazine in my life soldier or civilian.

4. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I clean my rotary mags pretty often. The rest don't seem to need it.

5. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

If I come home from one of those range trips that I shot all my guns, there is no way I going to clean my magazines after spending 2-3 hours cleaning the guns.

If I have several hours to kill and I just feel like doing some spring cleaning, I'll clean my mags. So...maybe 2 or 3 times a year at MOST!

6. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Interesting. I just cleaned the magazine tube on my mossberg 500 after probably 1000 rounds and it was totally rusty and gunked up

7. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I've never cleaned mine. Maybe wipe a follower down...

8. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

I clean my Mag's fairly regularly and also clean them on customer guns when they come in. I've been brought many a gun to clean without the mag,same goes for repair. One of the first things we were taught was if an auto semi or full is not functioning correctly check the magazine. We pay outragious amounts buying just the right mag and then don't take care of them. Think of them as what they are a part of the gun without which it can not operate up to its full potential. A fancy way of saying without a mag it's a single shot. If you don't want to disassemble them every cleaning at least spray them clean with brakleen or gun blaster and lightly lube them with something that dries like clp. They collect burnt powder and it will become gummed up with a wet lube.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  9. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I do clean all my handguns and rifle mags after each range visit. They are easy to clean. Only 2 mins to clean each mag so why not?

10. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

What are the reasons for cleaning a magazine? What negative effects can come from not cleaning them?

11. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Cleaning magazines......

Never had too, I never loan out my mags. , Esp. my playboy......lol :)

12. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Any gunk built up your chamber after firing is also going into the magazine. That magazine follower can get to the point of being unable to move smoothly enough inside the magazine to cause feeding problems.

Just another thing to keep your eye on.

13. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I haven't found or read any negative effects for not cleaning mags yet. But as i said to me it only takes a very little time cleaning each of them. It's all about individual preferences.

14. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

I have one mag I tossed into a bunch of dirt while performing a mag change (lawn dart, follower down). You can see and hear the dirt on the follower. Out of curiosity I loaded it back up and ran it as my primary ever since. That was 3 months ago. I would hate to see a mag so dirty it wouldn't function.

15. Car54

Car54 New Member

I've never cleaned a mag either, I guess to each their own.

16. Kodeman

Kodeman Member

Up here in the Northeast, we usually are stuck inside every year because of snowstorms or blizzards. During this time I take almost the whole day to clean all of my long guns, pistols and revolvers, including the magazines. I'm not sure if cleaning the mags is necessary but being stuck inside gives my the opportunity to give everything the once over.

17. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Can the same be done on a Mossberg 590A1 magazine tube? Or are they different in some respects? :confused:

18. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

i clean mine every time i clean my gun most mags come appart with no tools i wipe down with a oiled rag keeps the dirt out of your gun and reduces where mags can get full of dirt it your droping them on the ground doing quick re loads
    same with tubler guns just run a brush down at minium keeps you spring from rusting then brakeing

19. KansasCandR

KansasCandR New Member

Dirty magazines? I stopped buying them after my first child was born. It turns out that the internet has much better p0rn...

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Back on topic, I throughly clean mine if they've been dropped on dirt or gravel. Otherwise, I just blow loose dirt out with canned air or my air compressor.

20. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I inspect and clean mags after every use, whether they look dirty or not, even if it's just a wipedown. Always, war or peace.