How Often Do You Change Your Oil in Your Car or Truck ???...

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by LONGHAIR, Nov 27, 2011.

1. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I got my oil changed today and now they say you can go 7,000 Miles before your next oil change...I wen't from 3,000 to 5,000 miles and I know oil is better but 7,000 miles is a bit far to me...Oil is Cheap..Parts and Labor is-not...My dad was a mechanic and said that all the time....The young guy changing oil says it's the new standard...You tell me ???...:confused:.....I never Rotated my Tires but I'm going to start,with the new-one I just got......

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have been a mechanic for many years and i still believe in 3000-5000 mile oil changes, even if using synthetic oils. i don't think you can overdo an oil change, worst case is spending the money for the oil. in 2006, i bought a new Chevrolet Silverado truck, had an oil change indicator on the instrument cluster, i had already changed the oil three times by the time it told me change the oil.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have the oil changed in my car every 3-4,000. I want my car to last a long time and I'm doing everything I can to see that it does.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

I change the oil every 3k because my vehicles are a bit older and have some miles. My sister has a brand new sequoia (toyota) that the owners manual says toyota's new proprietary synthetic only needs to be changed every 10k miles. Amsoil is supposed to be a real high mileage oil too. I just can't bring myself to go 50k between oil changes though.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i know what you mean. but as far as i'm concerned, i change my oil when it suits me, not some engineer writing the owners manual!

6. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I have old cars too, so about every 3,000... unless a fuel pump goes out, then the oil gets changed with the pump..

7. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

The only people telling you to change oil every 3k miles is the oil companies. There was a study done a few years ago they took a fleet of new taxis and drove them for 100k miles. Half had their oil changed every 3k and the other half every 10k. After 100k they disassembled the engines measured wear and found no difference. If you change every 3k you aren't hurting anything but you are wasting money and time. It's your money and your time do what you want with it.

I had a turbo charged Mazda 626 that I changed oil every 15k. That car was still running very well with the original turbo after 250k. I used Shell Rotella exclusively. I also changed the anti freeze every other year.

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Oh, yeah, let me add my car is a 2001 and has 127,000 miles on it.

9. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

I have the oil changed in my 1996 vehicle every 3,000, give or take a few, miles. At 80,000 miles on the odometer (there is just over 89,000 miles on it now), I switched over to synthetic oil. I've owned the car since I bought it brand new and I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off. That hopefully won't happen because 4 times a year I take it to the Ford dealer and have them do a full "work up" on it. I ask them to check all mechanical operations, basically a safety check, to make sure nothing is loose, worn badly or just plain outlived its usefulness.

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a 1982 Chevy Blazer. I have either 214000 or 314000. I am not sure which. I bought it used. But I drive it hard. I change my oil about every 6000 miles. I have had it for at least 8 years.

My wife has a Kia Sedona. It just turned 100,000. We bought it new. The warranty called for changing the oil every 7,000 miles. It did not even specify a synthetic.

11. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

12. vincent

vincent New Member

My car has 190000 so every 3K, my truck is newer, use Mobil 1 and if I keep it out of the dirt I can go 4-5K and not worry...much

13. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

i have 260,000 miles on my old chevy pickup and changed the oil about every 5 to 7000 miles.I run synthetic oil in my harley because its proven to run 10 degrees cooler and the viscosity does not break down for way longer periods.
    Years ago in the very hot south western deserts during desert races with dirt bikes kawasaki built a kx 500. There bikes would walk away from every thing built at the time. But they suffered problems with the transmisions disentigrating.Once synthetic oil became available the tranny problems vanished.Then kawasaki took over and dominated this style racing.
    So I run the synthetic in my harley tranny ,engine and primary case. I still run regular oil in my pickups but am considering switching those to synthetic also.What ever your oil change interval is you can double it with synthetic so the cost is off set.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah, my next change is due at 341,000 miles. It's also just about the worst motor Ford ever used, the 2.9 cologne V6, so I have to do my part to keep it on the road.

15. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Every 3000 miles = dino oil + filter

Every 2000 miles for motorbikes.

16. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

There have been several studies done by consumers, where they pull a sample every 1,000 miles or so. The synthetics are lasting 12k miles. My new fiesta comes with 10k oil change recommendations. My '07 Charger with 5.7L Hemi had 3k recommendations in the US, but the EXACT SAME CAR sold in Europe came with 6k recommendation.

I've talked to this guy on the phone, and he loves to talk about the technology of oil and how it has changed over the years, he's had multiple customers run trials on their oil. IRC one guy got up to 15,000 miles and got nervous about not changing the oil, even though his oil analysis was still showing less wear than the commercially produced oil at 5k miles link . I've only purchased one quart from him, and that was for my generator. Did I love to mention he loves to talk about oil? LOL

17. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

The biggest thing you fighting is dirt in the oil, the oil itself still does it's job but it gets full of dirt from the burnt fuel. Keep in mind that 7000 miles is under perfect driving conditions which is driving 70mph with no additional load on the car, clean air and no stops.

My truck currently has 326,000 miles on it and I change my oil every 3-3500 miles.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

I take my vehiclew in to the dealer. The cost is the same as jiffy lube and just 7$ more than me doing it and i dont have to find a place to get rid of the oil. It gets done 3-4000 miles. It may not be neccessary but having a trained mechanic do it and inspect the vehicle has saved me thousands in preventative repairs.

On a 4x4 finding a cheap part wearing out before major damage is done is cost saving. More than once in the last 100k miles ive been able to avoid costly repairs by having the vehicle on a lift able to look under it.

I used to be my own mechanic and do it all myself so i know what im looking at under and in a vehicle. I just dont have space or time or desire to do that anymore

19. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

First off- Amsoil is awesome. There have been powerstroke owners that have run it for 20-25k before oil breakdown.

I run Mobil 1 0w20 in my Camaro. 400hp at the wheels. I drive it Like its stolen, so I change the oil at 2-3k, which is about every 6 months.
    The Sonata gets 7k as the manual calls for.

The American petroleum institute did an in depth study within the last few years that concluded most Dino blends do not begin to break down until 9k in typical applications.

20. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

In diesel work trucks (Ford F550's) change about every 3000 miles. Delo 10W-30.
    In gas trucks (Chevy & GMC's) change oil whenever message center on dash tell me to. Chevron 5W-30.