Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My first adult job was in Construction. I carried a knife on my tool belt but RARELY if ever used it (that I remember).

I usually had a utility knife on my belt and if I need to cut something used that.

In the army I don't recall ever carrying a knife in garrison although I usually had my Buck 110 or my Buck Lite in the field.

After the Army (still in the National Guard) I worked as a carpet installer for 5 years and carried a utilty knife specifically designed to cut carpet.

Then I worked in a factory for 7 years and my knife lived in my rollaway. I was still in the Guard and I carried my Buck Lite and a Gerber Multitool in the field (every month was a FTX).

The last 12 years I've worked as a Security Guard I carried a knife and Multitool every day/night. I used the Multitool frequently when part of my job was rehanging signs on the fence but rarely the knife.

Now in retirement I carry a knife (and still a multitool) everyday but about the only thing I use it for is opening mail

For all those years of carrying a knife f I almost never used one and does anyone else have similar experience

·
Supporting Member
13,109 Posts
I carry two every day as Pictured below!
And I use one or the other frequently,
Opening Boxes
Opening Plastic Display Containers (*For mostly weapons related items!)
Opening Corn Feed Bags
Clipping Fingernails (When broken while working)
Cutting Rope
And other tasks also with the Swiss Army Knife
And the Gerber also for Protection. It is Clipped at the top of my Right Pants Pocket.
I have carried both of them for years. In fact this is my second Swiss Army Knife. I wore the first one out over the years.
Tool Knife Kitchen utensil Everyday carry Tableware

Font Service Rectangle Fashion accessory Carmine

Reactions: RJF22553

·
Administrator
737 Posts
Multiple times a day. I have a Leatherman on my left hip and a single-blade folder in my right-side knife pocket.

Reactions: Maineiak

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Actually my small Buck pocket knife gets used at least a couple times a week. I carry a Buck 110 when I am traveling. It does not get used often, but I like having it available just the same.

·
Registered
127 Posts
with the intent that it might be used as a "weapon" (title here : "Other Weapons") - never

but I sometimes carry one on my belt if the job that I'm going to do around the property might call for one (cutting the strings holding Hay Bales together, for instance)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I carry one daily (currently my Bugout & a Multitool) I just rarely have need of it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I use my knife pretty much everyday. I also have knives deposited in every room of my house and in my office at work for those times that I'm not carrying my EDC; such as when in my PJs etc.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
I use my knife pretty much everyday. I also have knives deposited in every room of my house and in my office at work for those times that I'm not carrying my EDC; such as when in my PJs etc.
I keep a weapon in the room when I'm watching TV or whatever I'm doing at night...including sleeping.

Not gun related but it may keep me from shooting someone someday. We put in some Ring cameras and, let me tell ya, you can't hide from them. They pick up EVERYTHING including spiders and have an 8 point buck pic it took in the backyard. I've a Ring believer.

Being the cruel person I am, I had to put the chipmunk electrocuter back beside the driveway. They are getting in my garage without permission. With four D cell batteries and sunflower seeds for bait, they walk over a powered plate and get the hot foot. They carry diseases just like tree rats do. Caught one of those yesterday in the trap. No, I don't belong to PETA. Chipmunks are rampant this year but not squirrels. Go figure. They see me in the sunroom......

So, yes, I use a knife for something or another everyday.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Wood Knife Utility knife Hunting knife Blade

I carry this while hunting in a leather sheath. I don’t normally carry a blade on me but when I do it’s a ceramic blade folder. I have steel blade knifes in all my vehicles though.

I’ve had to pull my knife out on two occasions in my life to defend myself once while my wife was with me. Just pulling it out quelled both uprisings.
The first time the neighbors beside us get in a very bad fight. She comes over to our place with their small child. He follows moments later and proceeds to punch the front door glass out. I hustle her, child and my wife out the back door. Grab a drywall hatchet and utility knife and show it to him. He stands down. He’s drunk.
The next altercation was some drunk guy. I show him the knife and he stands down as well.

·
Premium Member
2,382 Posts
I use one several times a day. So much so that i made my Havalon Piranta my EDC. The 60 A blades can be sharpened... but why?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Use the kitchen cutlery quite a bit as well as cutter knife to open packages. Other than that not much anywhere else these days.

·
Registered
Whatever tickles my fancy in the morning and what I'm going to be doing
136 Posts
Well...though we lived in town, where I always found use for a pocket knife, I grew up on farms of friends and family and have carried a 3 blade Stockman pocket knife since I was probably 10 or 12. I wore to a thin wisp the clip blade of an Uncle Henry Stockman skinning trap line critters. I still carry a "3 blade Stockman, clip, sheepsfoot and spey blades" every day and I don't believe a day goes by I don't use it at least 3-4 times for something. I don't cut many bull calves these days and I'm glad. Don't skin many critters either and I kinda miss that.

·
Premium Member
2,382 Posts
Well...though we lived in town, where I always found use for a pocket knife, I grew up on farms of friends and family and have carried a 3 blade Stockman pocket knife since I was probably 10 or 12. I wore to a thin wisp the clip blade of an Uncle Henry Stockman skinning trap line critters. I still carry a "3 blade Stockman, clip, sheepsfoot and spey blades" every day and I don't believe a day goes by I don't use it at least 3-4 times for something. I don't cut many bull calves these days and I'm glad. Don't skin many critters either and I kinda miss that.
I had an old timer 3 blade that was my grandfather's. Was visiting ellis island with my wife. Completely forgot about it and didnt realize they had TSA security beifre you got in the ferry. They confiscated it. They would not let me step out of line and keep it.
I didnt know whether to cry, spit or piss. That was one of the few things i had from Granddad.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
After jamming a Marble's folding hunter through my wrist. cutting tendons and nerves to all four fingers of my right hand, pretty well stick to a Gerber multi-tool. Farm, fishing, fixing stuff - it gets used several times a day and does hold an edge pretty well. 32 years of prison stickin's taught me what a shank can do. Ugly.

·
Premium Member
6,823 Posts
Though I have a 70s Buck 110 and 112 I carry this little gem. Seems like I use it everyday.

Wood Wood stain Font Hardwood Publication

1 - 20 of 78 Posts