How often are you going to the Range?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by glockman55, Apr 19, 2018.

1. glockman55

glockman55 Active Member

I have a range on site so I get to shoot more than a lot do, but if you carry you should practice as much as you can.. I get out once a week most of the time twice.. and I practice with a variety of different guns. I know, I hear you should use just the one you carry, but I change carry guns weekly, so I need to know how to use any gun I own. I feel comfortable with a 1911. Glock, CZ, most any DA, SA, revolver.. How do you practice?

kfox75 likes this.
  2. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

Down to just once every two weeks... Working too much

Don't really practice anymore... Just take a few guns and have fun

winds-of-change and glockman55 like this.

3. 762

762 Active Member

i own 10 acres of land about 45 minutes from my house, so i've been going a lot. just finished a 100 yard range. nice and quiet and no morons out there with that may or may not blow my head off.

Ghost1958, Danoobie and glockman55 like this.
  4. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Only to zero a rig in. Then it's out to the field to hunt.
    Have three rifles to zero (changed some scopes).
    The ol lady bought a .22 rf rifle so she will need to practice.
    I shoot decent groups with zero practice. But I shot a lot when younger.

Ghost1958 and glockman55 like this.
  5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I haven’t been in a while. I had a bit of an unpleasant experience last time I was there. Kind of took the fun out of it for me.

6. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Right now the county range is a mud bath. It’ll be dry in another few weeks though. Depending on the weather, and the progress I make on the tiny truck, I may go out to the National Forest, and do some shooting on a meadow. It’s pretty easy to set up an ad hoc range if you have a target stand, and a range finder. The County range only goes out to 300-yds, so I do it fairly often to get longer ranges.

7. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

Poor range neighbor? Injury/slide bite? (Hope not)

8. Danoobie

Danoobie Well-Known Member

Or whiny, coffee saturated RSOs. Get your own range setup, you never turn back.
    At which point, it boils down to how much ammo you want to shoot. I "go" to
    the range about twice a week. It's nice, when you can fire a handgun one-handed,
    weak hand, close, belly gun range, 1,3,5,7,10, 12,15, 20, 25, 50, 75 & 100 yards.
    Shoot wood, cans, paper, metal gongs, filled jugs, Tannerite. Open all day, every day.

9. aarondhgraham

aarondhgraham Active Member

Now that the weather here in OkieLand has cleared up,,,
    I'm getting to my rifle/pistol club range every Sunday.

When we get a half-hour more daylight in the evening,,,
    I'll probably get there on Tuesday and Thursday evenings.

I'm in the same boat as an earlier poster,,,
    I go not so much to practice but to plink paper and enjoy myself.

Aarond

winds-of-change and glockman55 like this.
  10. Ross82

Ross82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I legally "can" shoot on my own land but I don't want to make the neighbors nervous.... I'm a member of range about 10 minutes away, and go down to the river (public land 1000+ acres). Here lately I haven't been enough but since it's warmer now I'll go about every other week

11. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I shoot on my land and I don't give a damn if the neighbors get nervous. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they were a little afraid of me. :)

12. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I used to go weekly. But after my move and my ranges are much further its only once a month.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  13. OldBlue

OldBlue Member

I have a little land, and I'm usually out shooting both guns once a week, in between work and "life". Been tough lately w/ all the rain we've gotten so far this (so called) Spring. Probably go through 200-300 rounds a month.

14. Imurhuckleberry

Imurhuckleberry Well-Known Member

Twice a week. One day for handguns another day for rifles.

15. Donn

Donn Well-Known Member

Once a week, sometimes twice, carry guns only. Rifles are zero'd. Taking them out is a waste of ammo.

Ghost1958 and glockman55 like this.
  16. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

two to three times a week most weeks. Less over the last few months, between snow (198.5 inches this year, less than an inch from Buffalo NY's record in 1977.) and injury, keeping me from time with the rifles and bows.

What I take with depends on the time of year, and my handgun practice involves from 5 to 7 handguns, as I rotate what I carry, more often than not. I have a small bore and handgun range at a local club a few blocks away, and the state land range about 15 minutes from the house for long guns and large bore rifles. I also go there to shoot the black powder stuff, as the local indoor range does not allow me to shoot BP there. it seems it plays havoc with their ventilation system, and the other members there don't like to breathe that smoke in (Can't understand why.)

the last couple months have been RH only, but I should be back to shooting LH again by the end of the week.

glockman55 likes this.
  17. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I try to get out and shoot once a week, but this cancer has screwed with that some. Under normal circumstances I shoot one of my carry guns and at least one more. I try not to have any safe queens. The range is 10 miles away, and since I am retired I get there during “Geezer”time when it is damn near empty.

18. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

NOT as much as I like to, but that is about to change !.............

19. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Can shoot in my backyard out to 40 yards.
    For more than that it's easier to drive 5 minutes to huge farm I have access too. That's where our church security team trains as well.
    I shoot 5 10 rds at least once a week keeping accuracy and speed up from 15 to 40 yards in the back yard

And the team meets about every two weeks at the farm I mentioned.
    There we share ammo so fire much more. Work weak hand, moving fire, barricade, timed multiple target engagement etc etc.
    And head shots on FBI qualification bottle targets at 25 to 50 yards.

I only carry and train with my EDC a Ruger sr9c exclusively, that's been rock solid reliable for several years and alot of rounds.

Long guns i can shoot fine without practice as I've been shooting since early childhood.

20. 1911NUT

1911NUT Well-Known Member

Once a week, Every monday. (half price range fees) I'm currently working on finishing my range at the house. I'm sitting on 27 acres in East Texas and we just stop running livestock on it.

Daoust_Nat and glockman55 like this.