How NOT to shoot a revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Dearhunter, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

This may benefit some new shooters. I think it clearly shows how NOT to shoot a revolver.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFBAcz16GvU[/ame]

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've actually had someone give me the warning, ”don't put your hand in front of the cylinder!" So with an empty gun, I tried dry firing that way. I couldn't pull the trigger, because my forward grip wasn't allowing the cylinder to turn.

If I could find that gun, I'd open carry it everywhere.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I already knew about gas blow by and lead shaving though, because of my granddad's old .22

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

5. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

That guy scares me. The tip about the cylinder gap is a great tip, but his finger was constantly on the trigger. I would not want to be on the range with him.

6. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Pretty good advice even with the itchy trigger finger. I dont think I ever fired any real pistol that wasnt a revolver until I joined the Army. Shooting lefty was always an additional hazard when firing a pistol, very few were created for us. My dad tossed the safety on our Webley Fosbery back in the 40's (not the smartest thing to do but he was a lefty also). That said, Ive never experienced the powder-burn nor have I discharged a round by mistake because the pistol didnt have a safety on it!

7. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I had never thought about it before. Last year, I was shooting my Single-Six, with the mag cylinder, and accidentally got my finger in that spot. I was surprised and shocked. No powder burns, permanent damage or anything, but still…...

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The same basic hold I use works for semi-autos and revolvers.

I like his demonstration of using paper instead of his skin.

9. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

You never even suspect it unless you have an alignment issue and feel spatter on you. If you only use an outdoor range without lane dividers you would probably never know until you shoot at night. The flash out of that gap is impressive, especially with a moderately hot load of 2400 in a .357 magnum round.

10. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Night fire ranges without revolvers are pretty impressive! Never guessed just how much fire and shrapnel are flying around a range until you see it at night! Tracers do a great job of demonstrating deflection, ricochet and deviation form the anticipated path. Gives you a whole different respect for what is really the danger zone down range (and up)!

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Good lord I was blown away at boot camp when i saw my first night fire. I was like, "why the hell is everyone shooting up into the sky?"

12. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

13. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

The first time my son shot a revolver her burned himself. He was probably about 7 years old. He had only shot rifles until them. I was mainly worried about him putting his hand in front of the barrel. We talked about gun safety things like, don't point it at yourself or anyone else. He knew not to put his finger on the trigger until he was ready to shoot. But honestly I didn't think to warn him about the cylinder. He had the gun in his firing hand. I though he was going to shoot one handed. But before I could stop him he cupped his hand on top of the top strap and pulled the trigger. Not sure why he did that. But it burned the inside of his hand pretty good. Not bad enough to need medical attention. But he has never done it again. It was only a 22lr revolver. I always start people out small.

14. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

This makes me want to do the test but slightly different. I wouldn't want the paper being next to or ahead of the bbl. Being he got the force form both places when firing. I am more than sure that you do not want to get your body parts around the gap but I want to see just the blow by form the cyl/forcing cone area. Me and my pesky curiosity...:eek:

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have had to stop experienced shooters from shooting a revolver with their hand by the cylinder gap. They had shot semi auto pistols all their life. They wrapped up on the revolver like it was a Glock.

16. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

My grip for both semi autos and revolver is the same, so I'm good. :D

This is basically the grip I use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Here's a question. What is the proper way to grip this gun? (I already know the answer) :D

[​IMG]

18. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Ahhhh, finally, a good use for hot dogs!

19. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I can't believe no one has posted this one:

[ame]http://youtu.be/nucg5VAff4c[/ame]

Yummy chicken fingers.

20. notoriousM3

notoriousM3 New Member