how much power do you like?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by SafariSam, Oct 27, 2011.

1. SafariSam

SafariSam New Member

what is the most powerful cartridge you would want for hunting dangerous game? also what is the most powerful cartridge you would get if it was only just to get something for the heck of it and just to have something very powerful?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

welllll.... i have used a 458 winmag winchester model 70 african express since 1989 on white tail. i imagine it would work fine on any critter on the planet

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I think I'll go with Jon. .458 Winchester Magnum is good for me or the most powerful load you could make for a 45-70 in a Ruger Model 1.

4. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

I am impressed with my mod.70 Super Express .375 H&H. Not as big a hole as the 45s but the trajectory is better.
    I find it works well on whitetails, not nearly the meat loss of my .270
    TGR

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Have shot .505 Gibbs and .460 Weatherby. Decided that detached retinas were not good, and stopped that. :eek:

Think they would be more than adequate for any animal this side of a Blue Whale.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

the lack of meat loss is why i like the big 458. use a bullet designed for very thick skinned game it doesnt expand and just instantly kills the whitetail very humanely but doesnt tear things up. ive shot deer and seen deer shot with 308s that have waaay more meat loss

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I still want to get the baby of the dangerous game cartridges. A 9.3x62 in a classic old Mauser. I fired a .375H&H that rattled your fillings. Another on my wish list is a .416 Rigby. It's a low pressure cartridge ya know. ;)

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Assuming the need as "inside the North American continent" and including the ability to reload:

How can you vote against the .30-06?

Up, down, the cartridge can take damn near everything! It's available everywhere in SHTF, but can be tuned to whatever you are after. Even man. :cool:

JD

9. fmj

fmj Active Member

well hell pardner...just give me a .50 BFG.:D

that being said i really dont need anything more than my 30-06.

10. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

For what I do personally, I don't need anything bigger than a 30'06.

But I really want an AR in 458 socom, but then again who wouldn't? :D

11. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

Had some buddies that used to hunt with a .460 Weatherby. Talk about overkill! Gun could put you on your a#* when you shot it. I do not hunt anything bigger then a whitetail and my .357 lever gun with open sights works just fine.

12. boomenshutzen

boomenshutzen New Member

This works well for Graboids.

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I have a winchester model 70 7mmwsm...i would also like to have a 300wsm

14. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

Hey I was going to say that! ;) For hunting in N. America that will take just about any critter. But for SD I've been thinking about going bigger than my 30.06. I've been flirting with the idea of getting a .45-70 but I'd rather have the Marlin guide gun because the Ruger #1 only fires the one round. You may find there's more than one bear wishing to chew on you. Not likely but possible. Bear attacks are getting a lot more frequent BTW. There have been as many in the past decade as there have been in the century before that. And the 90's was the decade of the highest number of attacks before the 2000's. There's a lot more bears and people are out in their backyard a lot more. ATV riders have put people in contact with a lot more bears. But I've seen quite a few in the past 5 years while I only saw one in my 50 years before the last 5 years. Bear populations are exploding around my area like deer did back in the 80's. And I've had a bunch of run in's with them too.

Still if you're hunting you don't need to shoot until you get that perfect shot. Nailing a charging bear is another thing altogether and I'd just as soon have more power in case it ever actually happens.

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I doubt I'll go bigger than the 30.06 or .44 Remington magnum anytime

soon.

I simply don't hunt anything big enough to merit a larger caliber.

16. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I think JonM has the right rifle for heavy-duty stopping power. The .458 has a proven record for stopping BIG critters.

17. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Why not use one cal. on everything? How does it do on squirrel.

All kidding aside, I can't think of anything 30.06 is too under powered for.

18. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I always thought dangerous game was something that might make a meal of you. I'm not seeing the .30-06 fitting the bill for a charging Grizzly.

19. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

.30 US... Who am I to argue with a big game hunting former president?