How Much Of One Caliber Before It Is Reasonably Thought Of As Hording?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by AR10, Mar 10, 2013.

1. AR10

AR10 New Member

I have a few firearms, of many calibers. Today I was doing an inventory, to look for holes in my stash, and the numbers surprised me.

At what point does one turn from prudent to hording?

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

when you have to move furniture out of the house to fit another ammo shelf or gun safe then you are a hoarder. Anything short of that is prudent. :cool:

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

In reference to your thread title, it depends on your definition of reasonable.

I think it's reasonable to have 5k per rifle (even for rifles of same caliber), and 1k per handgun (same as above).

I'm no where near either of those numbers.

It also depends a LOT on how much you shoot. The above numbers I based on how much I shoot, which isn't very often. That stockpile would last me a year or 4 if I suddenly weren't able to buy anymore for whatever reason. Competitive 3 gun? IDPA? You may want your own warehouse full.

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Whatever you want and can afford.

There is no such thing a "hoarding,"

That's just a sick excuse for people too stupid to plan ahead.

5. res45

res45 New Member

Actually the term Hording is way overused,in it's basic form it applies to acquiring and failing to throw away large amount of useless items with little to no value and often time clutters a home to a point that it's no longer a viable living space.

I guess if being prepared to a point not to pay high prices for ammo or reloading components because of either natural or man made shortages,being able to shoot what you want when you want or providing security for yourself and your family in a time of crises because you just assumed you could just run down to the LGS or WalMart at anytime and get some ammo is considered hording then count me in.

In this day in time especially with all the unrest in the world ,it's not only prudent to make sure you have an ample supply of ammo but other basic necessities you may find yourself or your family in need of. There are many individuals that will find themselves woefully unprepared,take nothing for granted.

6. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Hoarding: is a general term for the behavior of people or animals to accumulate food or other items during times of scarcity. -Wikipedia

By that definition, we're all guilty as charged!

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Don't think theres a line in the sand-
    When you think you have enough------Buy another box :)

8. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I think it also depends on the pricebof the ammo AND the rifle.

For example whats the point of having a $2400 LaRue Rifleworks AR but only 400 rounds of ammo? Or on the other extreme of a one 600 dollar mini14 and 50000 rounds of ammo?

So while for a 22LR rifle 5000 rounds might be reasonable minimum, for a 50 BMG barrett 200 rds might be considered plenty.

The rule of thumb I suggest is this:
    -Take the cost of the rifle, spend the same on ammo as your "stash" and that is then the reasonable minimum.

If u have 2 rifles in the same caliber? Then add the cost of both together and then you have a reasonable goal

This method adjusts for a lot of variables :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

IF you have more ammo than all of the currently living generations of your family can shoot in their lifetimes..... you planned well. :p

10. AR10

AR10 New Member

I ask because I just went from storing my ammo in ammo cans, locked in a safe, to putting the ammo directly in the safe. Makes it easier to see what you have. I was surprised to see I have 25,000 + rounds of .22 LR.

I always look for more ammo, in box stores, and order off of the internet when I find some I want, but maybe I can quit looking for ammo for a while. lol

Might even sell some.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Was in my LGS this afternoon- like everyone, ammo has been scarce for them. Asked the owner "What do you think you could do for a case of Remington 9mm Parabellum, 115 grain?"

He looked me, grinned and said "About $1000."

I said "OK- how many cases do you want?" :rolleyes:

I got pelted with foam earplugs for about 3 minutes....

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  12. trip286

trip286 New Member

That was almost cruel, c3. Funny as hell, but just almost cruel!

13. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I currently shoot 9 calibers of handguns/rifle and 4 gauges of shotgun. When I get to around 50,000 rounds of loaded and components for reloading on hand, I will be satisfied with my stockpile. That number goes up for every new caliber that I add in the future.

14. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

anything more than I have is hoarding.

I need more! I haven't gathered enough stores to last my kids lifetime yet ;)

15. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I just learned from another thread that you need 30,000 rounds per gun.

16. Engine5truck

Engine5truck New Member

You can never have enough ammo! I may draw the line if you have to add another level to your house or add on an addition to store firearms /ammo.... Ahhh on the second thought, draw the line when u have to put an elevator in ur house to get to the 15th floor :)

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

Its somewhere north of being able to fire one round per second nonstop for the rest of your life.

18. mymaro

mymaro New Member

Thats 252,288,000 on an average 80 year life so considering how much ammo the gubment has bought and how old the potus is that should supply him with a shot every 2.7 seconds.... coincidence?
    Idk but im goin to make a tin foil hat

19. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I don't hoard ammo but I do have a fairly large stockpile that I have built over the years and I am very happy that I did so. Based on the average number of rounds fired on my trips to the range over the past fews years I am good for at least three or four years. I also saved a ton of money by doing so.....

20. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

I don't call it hording, I just buy a large amount of ammo when it is cheap.:D
    That makes it easier when there is a panic or run on ammo like we have seen lately.
    For us that have stocked up we can just sit back & watch the panic, I have even told others about ammo deals that I have found without buying any myself.
    The only thing that is hard for us stockpiling types is to have start buying again before the price has dropped back to where we last bought.:confused: