How much is too much??

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by coopertrooper, Dec 6, 2013.

1. coopertrooper

coopertrooper New Member

I'm just wondering how long before you need a new barrel? I've got about 10,000 rounds through my 10/22

2. hkhunter

hkhunter New Member

Jim Clark Jr told me you would probably never shoot out a 10/22 barrel. With general maintenance it should last a long time. My oldest two are 21 yrs old. Been shot a lot

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

.22 bores don't get abused much from actual shooting. there isn't a whole lot of high pressure, ultra high velocity, or hard projectiles to wear the bore out. Crwons may need recutting, lead will build up, you could get an obstructed bore that causes a ring in the bore. But I'd bet most barrels that end up sunsuitable is from neglect, such as being left outside, having moisture in the bore and rusting, or similar problems, rather than wearing them out in actual shooting.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

That's too many rounds. I suggest that you package the gun up and send it to me for a decent burial. :D

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to agree. most 22's will last several generations of shooters if properly maintained.

do 22 barrels wear out? yes they can. if accuracy has fallen off to a huge degree and it's been properly cleaned and has no lead build-up in the barrel, then it's possible it may be time for a new barrel.

i have an older Marlin 60 that i purchased used and had been shot a bunch if it's condition was an indicator of that, that i refurbished. it still can shoot better than me on most days. it's about 35 years old and is still plenty accurate. it's still easily Minute Of Squirrel at 50 yards!

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It is just getting broke in.

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

until it starts doing patterns from the rest with quality ammo on a clean cold barrel. Read: longer than it will take Al Sharpton to apologize for Tawanna Crawley.

8. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Ive heard of 10/22 barrels that have been maintained still going strong after 100,000 rds

9. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I don't know about ruger but i have an old mossberge and sons bolt action 22 that me granpa had when he was 12 then it went to my father then to me. It has a nice patena to it god only knows how many rounds it has through it we all kept it clean and it still shoots qaurter size groupings out to 50 yards havent shot any farther then that with it. We good care a ruger should last a good long time ive heard they have real good rifles.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

My grandkids are shooting the Marlin 39A that Mom bought Dad for their first wedding anniversary.

11. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

Own a BSA model 12 martini 22LR. Once belonged to an shooting club in England. Hard to date how old the rifle is, but production of the model 12 began in 1910s. With its peep sights, can outshoot any of my scoped 22 rifles.

Also own a Stevens model 44, probably made prior to 1900. Rifle has British proof marks on barrel. Bore has been relined by A.G. Parker, in England. When relined? Suspect sometime in the 1930s. Chuckle, bore of this rifle looks more worn than one on my BSA. Even with its buckhorn rear sight, which I can't seem to get the hang of using, rifle shoots well.

I can only imagine how many rounds have been fired in these two rifles.

12. mboylan

mboylan New Member

.22s get damaged by excessive and improper bore cleaning not by getting shot out. A barrel lasts many tens of thousands of rounds. The best rim fire manufacturers in the world recommend cleaning the bore every two thousand rounds. It takes at least 20 rounds to season a bore with bullet lube before best accuracy is obtained. Some high level shooters want more than a hundred rounds down the bore before they shoot for record.

13. hkhunter

hkhunter New Member

I have a friend who has a Savage that would shoot an oval 1.5" group at 50 yds. He had a cryogenic treatment at 300 below. Groups dropped to 1/4" consistently. I was impressed

14. hkhunter

hkhunter New Member

Also had a friend that competed with a a Ruger MKIII and never cleaned it. It started spitting out lead. The barrel had a solid tube of lead in the barrel.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  15. mboylan

mboylan New Member

It should also be noted that rimfire primers use silica for friction. Running a rod through grinds all of that glass against the rifling. Do not over clean the bore.

16. mboylan

mboylan New Member

He probably has a bad bore.

17. cliffspot

cliffspot New Member

Keep going!

My boss has a Remington from 1962 that still shoots eggs at 100 yds! He only uses patches to clean the barrel. The most wear you can get in your 22 barrel is from CLEANING! The bore brush is a LAST resort...only if you have crazy lead build up that you can't see the rifling. Like it was said earlier, only blatant abuse and corrosion will ruin the barrel.