Firearms Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
Right now, around here, pieced together AR's are a dime a dozen. Get it to an urban gunshow, it'll bring more. Night vision? Even though you can hunt coyotes at night, I have yet to talk to a single person interested. Now - if a ban seems to be looming, we'll probably see a repeat of a few years ago when prices went bonkers. It's strictly what someone will pay.

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
Guy next to me at the last gun show sold three AR's he "built". All three were "tactical" - you know the genre. Yes, he sold all three - without background checks as he was a private seller. Last one went to a fat lady accompanied by a younger lad with saggy britches who's head was on a swivel the entire time. Asking price was over $600, don't know what they settled on but it was cash. The other two were similar guns. Cheap red-dot sights, collapsible stocks, foregrips. Two went to "regular-looking" males, also cash without background checks.

"What's it worth?" ...I suppose what it sells for and what risks one is willing to take. Playing "Spot The BATF" or having a crime gun traced back to me is not worth a couple hundred bucks to me. Buy parts cheap, sell parts at a profit, let someone else play games ..or sell to an FFL. Might lose money, won't lose sleep. My fun has been putting a few together for my own use/entertainment, each for a specific sporting purpose, not urban warfare. Anyway ....whatever turns your crank..

·
Premium Member
6,189 Posts
Guy next to me at the last gun show sold three AR's he "built". All three were "tactical" - you know the genre. Yes, he sold all three - without background checks as he was a private seller. Last one went to a fat lady accompanied by a younger lad with saggy britches who's head was on a swivel the entire time. Asking price was over $600, don't know what they settled on but it was cash. The other two were similar guns. Cheap red-dot sights, collapsible stocks, foregrips. Two went to "regular-looking" males, also cash without background checks.

"What's it worth?" ...I suppose what it sells for and what risks one is willing to take. Playing "Spot The BATF" or having a crime gun traced back to me is not worth a couple hundred bucks to me. Buy parts cheap, sell parts at a profit, let someone else play games ..or sell to an FFL. Might lose money, won't lose sleep. My fun has been putting a few together for my own use/entertainment, each for a specific sporting purpose, not urban warfare. Anyway ....whatever turns your crank..
Well put. Another reason gun show are a put off to me.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
An AR that someone built for themselves is worth nothing to me.
This doesn't mean it was "built".
he simply stated he had an LWRCi upper on another brand lower.
Many folks, myself included, buy high end complete uppers and put them on lesser brands complete lowers.
I do not consider this a "build".
We have no indication this was done in any other way, quite the opposite. He would have talked about the component parts more if he had "built" it.
90% of the accuracy and reliability reside i the upper.

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
Selling to first-time or relatively inexperienced folks is not a problem. Everyone has a "first gun", just like your first car, first chew of tobacco, etc. My reference is what I've been seeing, first hand, at a series of urban gun shows in St. Louis. Attempted straw purchases, actual straw purchases, outright thefts, gang fights (three) inside the shows, and such. Don't need Dick Tracy to profile most. Some are ''regular folks" - all colors, nationalities, ages, etc. Some are Illinois residents buy to avoid the FOID thing. Others simply want a gun without paperwork. All apparently willing to pay a premium price.

Here's the rub that I've seen happen (and it's not a new thing). Group of old guys made a hobby of setting up, buying and selling at gunshows, did it for years. Started going to different states. No FFL's, C/R, nothing. If memory serves me, five or six were indicted. One died of a heart attack. One committed suicide. Big story at the time (and that was years ago) before the present hoopla and media frenzy.

At one time, tracing a firearm was done manually and required real, live BATF personnel to run down paper records. There's still a bit of that required in some cases, but more and more, traces are done electronically. No one can fore see where a firearm you sell will end up. One place you don't want to be is the link in the chain that violated a law when the doo-doo hits the fan. So, what's my gun worth? Not me in a courtroom, even as a witness, let alone a defendant.

Best references are what we are now seeing after each high-profile "gun violence" incident. Within hours, the guns are traced and the seller's on national TV. I might not receive my asking price, but following the law is best for me. Consignment through FFL's works. Meeting in a parking lot with someone you don't know? Really bad idea.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
1)One place you don't want to be is the link in the chain that violated a law when the doo-doo hits the fan. So, what's my gun worth? Not me in a courtroom, even as a witness, let alone a defendant.
2) Meeting in a parking lot with someone you don't know? Really bad idea.
1)In most states the only requirement is making sure the guy is a state resident. Why go out of your way to create extra papertrail for the surveillance state (the greatest danger to the Republic) to weaponize against We the People?
We NEED as many paperless firearms in circulation as possible to minimize that threat.
Criminal activity by robbers and the like is a trivial threat compared to the neo marxist takeover of our institutions and government (s).
We should all do the absolute minimum required by law not one iota more.
2) It's Freedom. Some of my best friends I met this way.

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts
1)In most states the only requirement is making sure the guy is a state resident. Why go out of your way to create extra papertrail for the surveillance state (the greatest danger to the Republic) to weaponize against We the People?
We NEED as many paperless firearms in circulation as possible to minimize that threat.
Criminal activity by robbers and the like is a trivial threat compared to the neo marxist takeover of our institutions and government (s).
We should all do the absolute minimum required by law not one iota more.
2) It's Freedom. Some of my best friends I met this way.
I agree with you. Only problem is once you've done a transfer on a new gun with the 4473, that gun can be easily traced to you. Records start with the importer or manufacturer since 1968 on new ones, but factory records still exist on many older ones, too. As I understand current guidelines, selling over six in a year for profit can be considered an "unlicensed dealer" - now that's a rumor, not a fact known to me nor verified by any ""official" anything.

Throw in literally hundreds of thousands of reported stolen guns entered into the NCIS system, the "bargain" may not be a really good deal, either. As Sheriff, I made the stolen firearm system available to anyone wishing to check on a firearm for stolen. An average year, we found about a dozen "hot" guns people were trying to sell at pawnshops, FFL's, and gunshows. Saved good people from getting stuck with one and stolen ones returned to victims. One was a Browning "Renaisance" set - several thousand dollars at the time - buyer was at the Tulsa gun show, called our office before buying.

Future confiscation might happen and is to be guarded against. Present situation is getting sticky. No one I ever knew violated a law if they knew they'd get caught. Most figured it would not happen to them. All needed a different set of facts.
Lying to a federal agent is a punishable crime. Never, ever, go there.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
It’s been a week now since the op made this thread and still hasn’t replied. Pretty sure he disappeared never to return lol. Again, it’s one of those users thats creates a thread just to waste our time, we all pitch in to help and they take off, smh.

·
Premium Member
6,189 Posts
It’s been a week now since the op made this thread and still hasn’t replied. Pretty sure he disappeared never to return lol. Again, it’s one of those users thats creates a thread just to waste our time, we all pitch in to help and they take off, smh.
And it's his first post. I quit answering questions when people obviously come here just to use other people instead of contributing in some way.

·
Administrator
1,513 Posts
Yeah...we’re done here.

Thread closed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.