How much do u invest in ballistics numbers?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by BeyondTheBox, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

... To make your decision on defensive round.

And where do you invest most? Velocity and energy? Bullet weight/size?

Or is it driven by other facts, like concealability and comfort? Or capacity in relation to concealability?

Are you a bigger is better type? An accuracy is godliness hugger?

What drives your decision making in what you carry and/our use at home?

For me it's all about the concealability to comfort ratio. A gun is neither my primary nor most effective defensive tool, it's an incase sh!t happens backup. My mind being first and body second. So I carry simply what's most convenient, concealable and comfortable to.

I could care less about ballistics other than making sure I have a reliably expanding Hollowpoint. Size matters little to none because all can and will kill and I shoot what I have well or don't have it.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

i put nothing into the actual number crunching when it comes to ballistics so long as your talking about defense vs goblins and your sticking with rounds 380acp and up.

i like the 45acp due to diameter, bigger holes leak faster, but i carry 380's 9mm's and 45's. size of the gun isnt always important to me as i will carry fullsize firearms when im not going anywhere like a theater or a restraunt or such for those endeavors ill take a compact 9mm or 45acp. easier to keep covered by a shirt. no need to scare the sheeple after all.

i like a variety of ccw guns i get bored carrying the same gun all the time. i know some people have issues switching guns a lot but it doesnt bother me.

i always have my ruger lcp regardless what other gun i carry.

my main criteria is it MUST go boom everytime the trigger is pulled. if one of my ccw guns doesnt function it gets sold and ill get a new one. i also change springs, clean them, and change parts that get worn on a regular basis.

if your defending against large animals like bear and moose, then ballistic performance comes into play. hunting is the same thing.

defending against criminals, the only unbreakable rule is have a gun that functions.

3. tCan

tCan Active Member

edit......

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  4. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Lol I thought that seemed like a slightly off topic.

5. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

I load my ammunition to approximate what I know has served me well in times past.

I don't pay a lot of attention to ballistic lab figures, just performance.

Bob Wright

6. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

So your a reloader them eh Bob? I wish I was that dedicated but that's simply WAYYYY too much effort for me. I'm off the more recent generations where patience is unheard of. Lol

7. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Neither patience nor dedication has anything to do with generation, they are developed individual traits.

And handloading has allowed me to shoot far more than if I had to depend on factory loaded ammunition. At one time I had aspirations of becoming an exhibition shooter, but never got good enough to look for a sponsor.

Bob Wright

8. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Reloading cost is very tempting.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  9. hoovco

hoovco New Member

Being that I've never been shot, I'm going to make a guess and say it sucks, whether it's a 380 or a .45.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Some are Light/Fast fans (.357 Mag)
    Some are Heavy/Slow fans (.45 ACP)

I prefer Heavy/Fast (10mm)

11. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

After reading some of these posts, I remembered Jeff Cooper's old axiom for a minimum combat round:

".40-200-1000" That is, a minimum of .40 caliber, 200 gr. bullet weight at 1000 fps velocity.

Still seems pretty good formula to me.

Bob Wright

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

That was a good system when lead bullets were the only bullets available. Pretty much meaningless with modern ammunition.

13. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Modern ammunition was available when he formulated that!

Bob Wright

14. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

True, but he was old school, as I use to be, and he did not consider expansion!!!;)
    With the best modern defense ammo the 9,40,45 are realistically equal in terminal performance on a human target!
    First you MUST have immediate access to your PPD, and
    Second you MUST be able to place your shots where they need to go.:cool:

If you don't have it with you and/or can't hit what you are shooting at the biggest, baddest gun/caliber is irrelevant!!;)

15. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

The question was, in effect, "How do you select your ammunition?" or do you crunch the numbers or what?

I'll trust the ".40-200-1000" criteria.

Bob Wright

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

And I'll trust 9MM/115/1350:D

17. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Most people get hung up on the platform which launches to projectile, not the projectile.:eek:
    A .355/.357 dia. bullet, 115 to 135 gr, MV 1250 to 1400 fps is 357 magnum ballistics.

When the 9mm +p+ loads came available they changed the 9mm, standard pressure load, from a 38+p to a high capacity 357 magnum! ;)

18. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

I used to think as most of you do. Now I look for velocity over all else. The reason for that is the video at the end of this post. It's 30 minutes long and full of facts from a trauma surgeon who had seen first hand the lack of killing potential of almost every caliber of handguns. Opened my eyes.
    I am currently seeking to switch all of my carry ammo to the new halo point round because of the rifle-like velocity. Initially made me want to switch to the FN 5.7 but with the ability to get those velocities from my standard handgun, the halo point ammo will work. Yes it is long and technical but, if it doesn't at least make you think about why the military only sees pistols as a backup weapon I will be disappointed. 30 minutes that will explain my point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tku8YI68-JA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

19. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Easy to achieve those numbers when the bullet is almost a 3rd the weight of standard. You don't feel like you're losing stopping power when a your halo point 9mm weighs the exact same as an FMJ .25acp?

Not worried about over penetration? Because I would be, extremely so!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  20. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

You didn't watch the video. Until you do you have no basis to understand my thought process. If science over opinion does not sway your opinion then there is no hope for changing your mind. Or expecting you to understand my point of view. In which no point in discussing this.

Under penetration is the problem with most handgun rounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.