How much cheaper would it be to buy a kit and build an AK-47?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by RonPaul2012, Aug 16, 2012.

1. RonPaul2012

RonPaul2012 New Member

I've been searching on Atlantic Firearms and can't really find an answer. I'd like to buy an AK-47, but they're like $700 on that website. Which is fine, I wouldn't mind paying that, but, being that I'm also interested in gun smithing, I'd also wouldn't mind building one! :D So what do the kits usually run for? A round about figure

2. DeanWormer

DeanWormer New Member

K-Var has some AK74 kits for between $180 and $250.

3. RonPaul2012

RonPaul2012 New Member

Alrighty, Thanks! And which parts must I register? Just the lower receiver, right?

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

the hard part with the kits is mounting the barrel to the reciever straight. you need a barrel press once its aligned in the press any lateral movement can and will ruin both the barrel and reciever. if it twists while pressing its got to be pulled and try again.

once you get it in there its then got to be drilled for the barrel pins. its not like putting an ar15 together at all.

converting a saiga to be 922r compliant is a very good starting spot to familiarize with the ak platform.

i would not recomend the complete build unless you have experience with and/or access to a barrel press.

5. RonPaul2012

RonPaul2012 New Member

Well, I have absolutely no experience with building weapons. I'd like to start getting experience, though. :/

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

then i recomend either going AR15 or getting a unconverted saiga and doing the 922r conversion. both are well inside the easy zone for a learning curve

7. RonPaul2012

RonPaul2012 New Member

How much do you think it would cost in the end to have bought a Saiga, then do the 922r compliance conversion to a Saiga AK-47?
    (Assuming I do want the nice looking wood on my finished weapon.)

8. RonPaul2012

RonPaul2012 New Member

I'm seeing Saigas going for around $350, but as I said earlier, I have no experience with building weapons. I do know about the 922r Compliance, though. The list of 15 items under regulation (16 with muzzle break) and the 5 needed American-made items on imported semi-auto rifles and whatnot.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

i think you can easily beat the arsenal price but not under a wasr from aim or some such thing. with a saiga your starting off with a better quality gun than a wasr at its best. with careful shopping i would guess around 500-600 total cost including gun.

10. RonPaul2012

RonPaul2012 New Member

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I looked at these kits but wheres the receiver ?
    Cheapest I have found complete is from centerfire systems , but which one is the better rifle ? , so many to choose from .

12. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Nothing needs to be registered!
    If you buy a complete receiver like NODAK you will need it to go through a FFL for transfer.
    If you fold your own receiver from a flat like a AK Builder flat there is no record of the gun & it doesn't need to go through the BATF.

Centerfire is a ok place to buy from, but there quality is very iffy.
    You got the right idea, you need a kit that doesn't need the barrel replaced or has already had the barrel replaced for your first build.
    Here are a few links to kits of this kind.
    http://whatacountry.com/romanian-ak-47-parts-kit.aspx

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=231

Remember on your first build you won't save any $$ doing it your self but you will come away with the knowledge & tools to do it again!
    Good Luck with your build!:D

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  13. RonPaul2012

RonPaul2012 New Member

Indeed! Thanks a lot! :D

14. RonPaul2012

RonPaul2012 New Member

Haha I wish I could fold my own receivers. My whole family is full of metal workers of different trades and I have an uncle who makes different weapons. I'm almost 18, maybe I'll go to a trades school and learn gunsmithing. ;)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The kits seem like a good idea, but the receiver isn't included,

which put the kibosh on the whole idea for me.

16. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

You can fold your own receivers I think as soon as you turn 18.
    All it takes is a press and a folding die.
    Here is the press that most builders start with.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/shop-presses/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html
    This is the AK Builder die.
    http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30083
    Using the two of these it takes only a few minutes to learn to fold your own receivers starting with flats like this.
    http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=171
    If bending a flat is still too much, there is an 80% blank receiver that you can build with.
    http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=239
    All it takes is to drill the holes in the proper place & weld the rails in then you are ready to rivet.

Gunsmithing would be a good trade to go for!;)
    Around here most gunsmiths just replace parts almost no one can really rebuild a gun they just want to send it back to the factory. That is why I build my own.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  17. RonPaul2012

RonPaul2012 New Member

VERY Helpful post, my friend. GREATLY appreciated. I'm actually kind of boasting at the expertise in Metalworking within the Family, but as unfortunate as it is, there is only a couple who work with Weapons. I want to learn GunSmithing, however, and here are some great resources! I couldn't appreciate it more! Keeping the 2nd Amendment alive is what matters the most. Thanks

18. nfafan

nfafan New Member

Dunham's has WASRs on sale this week; $429.00 8/18-29.