Firearms Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much can you bench press? How much do you think someone *should* be able to bench press for training purposes?

·
Banned
6,964 Posts
Ideally, you should be able to press at least your own body weight.

Speaking of which, anyone looking for an interesting and vigorous routine that changes every day might want to check out Crossfit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am sad to say I can only bench about 2/3 of my weight. I'm not proud of either number. If you have a BMI of between 10% and 20%, you weight should be a good number to go for.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I have a buddy that lifts a lot, but I haven't lifted since I was in the army. I surprised us both when I put up over 300 pounds a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Give me 20

If you can grunt out 20+ proper pushups, well that's good enough.

·
Registered
332 Posts
as long as you are hanging and banging in the gym trying to keep youselves in shape that's all that should matter :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
496 Posts
I always heard that you were to be able to press out at least your body weight. Now, if that amount is for regular training or your max, I have no idea. I can press my weight and then a little more, but it's not spectacular:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
The last time I bench pressed was about 5 years ago and I was able to lift 255 lbs which was a little more than I weighed at the time.

·
Banned
13,934 Posts
About 16oz. is all I lift anymore.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've recently gotten back into the gym after a 3 month break. I didn't do too bad lifting 275 lbs. I'm trying to work my way back up to 300+. I think young to middle aged people should be able to lift their body weight 10 times. I shouldn't say anything because I can currently only lift my body weight 6 times, but I'll fix that in the coming months. Good overall physical condition is important when defending ones self.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
About 16oz. is all I lift anymore.
LMAO...I find that time spent on the "reloading" bench gives me a distinct advantage over those who spend it on the weight bench!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
With 2 screwed-up shoulders, I have a hard enough time lying down to sleep, let alone to lift weights.
I squatted 502 clean in high school.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
With 2 screwed-up shoulders, I have a hard enough time lying down to sleep, let alone to lift weights.
I squatted 502 clean in high school.

Last time I squatted was in the woods...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts