How much can you bench?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by BulletFist, Jul 26, 2007.

1. BulletFist

BulletFist New Member

How much can you bench press? How much do you think someone *should* be able to bench press for training purposes?

2. bkt

bkt New Member

Ideally, you should be able to press at least your own body weight.

Speaking of which, anyone looking for an interesting and vigorous routine that changes every day might want to check out Crossfit.

3. Spartan

Spartan New Member

bench

i do five pounds im a leprechaun lol

4. Bear_Down

Bear_Down New Member

I have not weighed the wife lately. No seriously I couldn't tell you.

5. MarkoPo

MarkoPo New Member

I am sad to say I can only bench about 2/3 of my weight. I'm not proud of either number. If you have a BMI of between 10% and 20%, you weight should be a good number to go for.

6. GlenJohnson

GlenJohnson New Member

I can probably bench press twice my age, which is a lot better than a lot of people I know. :cool:

7. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I have a buddy that lifts a lot, but I haven't lifted since I was in the army. I surprised us both when I put up over 300 pounds a couple of weeks ago.

8. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

Give me 20

If you can grunt out 20+ proper pushups, well that's good enough.

9. h&k bigdaddydieseldan

h&k bigdaddydieseldan New Member

as long as you are hanging and banging in the gym trying to keep youselves in shape that's all that should matter :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. fapprez

fapprez New Member

I always heard that you were to be able to press out at least your body weight. Now, if that amount is for regular training or your max, I have no idea. I can press my weight and then a little more, but it's not spectacular:)

11. juicetree

juicetree New Member

The last time I bench pressed was about 5 years ago and I was able to lift 255 lbs which was a little more than I weighed at the time.

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

About 16oz. is all I lift anymore.

13. chorst294

chorst294 New Member

I've recently gotten back into the gym after a 3 month break. I didn't do too bad lifting 275 lbs. I'm trying to work my way back up to 300+. I think young to middle aged people should be able to lift their body weight 10 times. I shouldn't say anything because I can currently only lift my body weight 6 times, but I'll fix that in the coming months. Good overall physical condition is important when defending ones self.

14. brointheknow

brointheknow New Member

I can bench 295lbs. I rep 225x10, 245x8, 265x4, 295x1RM

I workout 5-6 days a week.

15. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

LMAO...I find that time spent on the "reloading" bench gives me a distinct advantage over those who spend it on the weight bench!

16. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

With 2 screwed-up shoulders, I have a hard enough time lying down to sleep, let alone to lift weights.
    I squatted 502 clean in high school.

17. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Last time I squatted was in the woods...