How Much Ammo?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by idareya, Apr 2, 2013.

1. idareya

idareya New Member

I'm looking to start stalking up on ammo. How much ammo would you store for one caliber?

2. marc29th

marc29th Member

Everyone is going to have a different answer. But I like to have 1000+ rounds per caliber.

3. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

This isn't the time for the question. Whatever answer we give, collectively, how many thousands of dollars do you have?

22lr: 5,000-20,000 depending on how many 22's you have. I would think at least 5,000 per firearm.

Primary handguns: 1,000 FMJ and 500 JHP per major caliber. These are my goals for my 9mm and 45acp.

Primary rifle: 2,500-5,000 for you primary battle rifle should be a good goal. And don't forget at least 10 magazines for each rifle.

Any secondary weapons don't need all that much. Maybe 250-500?

A shotgun have have a really good mix of buck, shot, and slugs, but perhaps not a huge volume. Again, 250-500? If you love trap, skeet, etc., perhaps you want more for those sports above the numbers I listed.

Good luck funding the purchases and finding the ammo...

4. Ruger22lr

Ruger22lr New Member

1,000 each gun is an ideal stockpile.

5. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Wait untill the prices come down.
    For me
    1000 per centerfire.
    3000 22lr.

6. jebsca

jebsca New Member

I like to try to have a years worth on hand. With this, I try to keep more of what I use, like 22. I hope as you start stocking up, that you can find good deals. It is hard to believe the prices that people are paying right now.

7. thum1995

thum1995 New Member

10 bullets per gun is more than enough, your not even allowed to hunt with that many.
    Lol

8. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I started stockpiling my ammo supply in 1977 with no total quantity in mind. I presently don't have an accurate count of rounds per gun, but I know that I have at least 1K FMJ and 250 JHP for each SD handgun and at least 1K rounds for each rifle and five cases of assorted 12 ga. Shotshell loads, and what ever amount of .22LR ammo it takes to fill two .50cal ammo cans.

A person should have a plan to relocate the ammo in a short time period if the SHTF. Remember 1K rounds of .40 caliber weighs about 40 lbs. I have bug out ammo set aside from my stockpile to facilitate a rapid departure if necessary.

9. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I probably have about 4000 rounds of center fire ammo divided among 13 calibers, and about 3000 rounds of .22. Am I still slowly acquiring more . . . yeah, but sometimes I wonder why in the hell I think I don't have enough. I mean, common' -- I think I'm covered for anything likely to happen.
    '

10. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Stock pile hell. Biden him self said all you need is a shot gun to fire a few shots in the air. That'll scare off anyone. Why stock pile for more than one gun?
    As long as you have at least one or two shells on hand you should be golden man.

11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

A basic military load out is more than adequate. 210 rounds of .223, and 50 rounds of 9MM.

If you need more than that, you'll be dead anyway.

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

You picked a helluva time to start :eek:

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

100% agree-

14. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

WHAT?!?!?!?

What about the second day of rioting after the EMP? What about protecting your family after that really bad day?

Marines reload after every day of action.

The real question may be: How many "basic military load outs" must you prepare for? It seems to me one should be ready to fill 10-20 load-outs. Using your logic, at least.

15. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

How much ammo you need really depends on how good a shot you are!:D

16. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I carried twenty 20-round mags preloaded with 19 rounds per (3/1 ball/tracer) plus a bandolier of 5.56. More than adequate for a quick firefight but not always enough for extended-duration contact. I remember a few occasions when we had to call for emergency resup.

Depends on circumstances. A civilian in a SHTF scenario can't call up an emergency ammo drop. My motto re ammo is you can never have enough.

17. 11B3OJ3

11B3OJ3 New Member

I've birned through a 210 round combat load in less than 20 min on several occasions. The combat load is a good rule of thumb for what to have with you or ready to go at a moments notice, but the point of a combat load is not to sustain you through a potentially long term incident, its to sustain you through a firefight. We always had thousands of extra rounds in our gun trucks or in our rucks at the rally point as you should have thousands of rounds at your home, camp etc. I guess the question to ask yourself is what you're preparing for. Do you plan on being on your own for a long period of time, or are you planning for something like katrina where you just need to hold out for a week or so? Also, do you forsee heavy firefights going on? The more combat and longer time would mean more ammo. Also do you, or do you plan on reloading?

18. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

So your wanting to become part of the problem. The ammo will come back and it won't be hard to get if everyone will just stop buying everything they can and just get what they need.

19. TimKS

TimKS Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Too many variables to give an accurate answer. Where you live, in town or remote area, will be one of the big factors. And then how much turf do you plan to defend & why & how long? Having 10K rounds per gun will mean nothing if you're location is not reasonably defensible and you get snuffed in the first exchange.

20. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

What EMP???

And btw, did it ever occur to you that if you start laying down fire, your opponent is going to shoot back??

Why does anyone believe that if there is a significant social upheaval, we'll all start getting into protracted firefights??