How much ammo per caliber do you stock?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by 408essj, Dec 24, 2012.

1. 408essj

408essj New Member

What's your safe number to keep for stock for the just in case scenario?

I've been steadily keeping 350-500 rounds
    And rotating out with newer purchased ammo when range shooting.

2. Renegade44

Renegade44 New Member

First post. I usually keep 2,000 each and rotate it out. All bought when on sale or bulk discounts.

3. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

These are my goals:

22lr: 10,000
    .223: 5,000
    Any other long arm: 1,000

Primary handgun calibers: 1,000 FMJ, 500 JHP
    Secondary handgun calibers: 500

These are just goals. I am hoping I get there someday. There is no need to buy anther gun if one only has a few hundred rounds of ammo. Otherwise you just have a heavy club. Buy ammo before a second gun in a caliber. Buy a second gun in the same caliber before buying another caliber. Those are my rules.

4. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Its more what you are allowed here. Usually 1000 rds per firearm.

5. 408essj

408essj New Member

Geez I feel so undergunned haha

500 rounds is reasonable for me, If I see more than 500 rounds in my safe I tend to bring more to the range to shoot then my bi weekly 200 rounds through my g19.

I'm not ballin like that to be throwin 200 down range each week or every other week and keep 10,000 stocked.

Kudos to you all for your huge stockpiles!!

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

more than you have :cool:

7. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Are there quantity restrictions in the UK?

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I see so many gun owners who say that their guns were lost. They are going to hide them from the enforcers of Federal Gun Laws. We also have people who brag on their stock piles of ammo? It seems we have many different ideas on what is to come over the next 4 years?

9. 408essj

408essj New Member

..............Jerk ;)

10. eldarbeast

eldarbeast New Member

I have a box or two...

eldar

11. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes normally 1000 rds per firearm. You can request more if you are doing a lot of shooting target shooting etc.

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Enough to fill my mags, that's it. I don't believe anything is going to happen that would find me needing any more than that. Also always have thousands of rounds of 22lr, but thats just because the boxes I buy have more than I shoot in one session. Sometimes I've got an extra 50 of 9mm or 45acp after a range session, like now, but I don't ever feel any need or desire to keep a "stock pile".

13. paulbrower

paulbrower New Member

For the past two years, every week when my wife buys groceries, she gets 100 rounds of .380, 9mm, or .40 cal. Whenever we go shooting, we buy what we shoot. I'd say we're pretty stocked up. Do I think I'll ever shoot it all? No. Do I think the world is going to end? I hope not, but if we do have any major economic collapse, I plan on trading ammo for toilet paper and food. :)

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

As many ruonds of JHP as you think you'll be able to shoot before you either win the fight or get killed/captured.

Seriously, enormous amounts of ammo may be good trading stock if the SHTF.

But a basic load of 210 5.56 and 50 9MM JHP is all you need for your own use.

I have a lot more, but I consider it trading stock if he balloon goes up.

15. jebsca

jebsca New Member

About 150 rounds less than when I got up this morning.

16. weapon

weapon New Member

As for 22LR, about 5,000 rounds mixed between various types of target, subsonic and supersonic ammo. As for everything centerfire, a Dillon 650. You didn't ask about how many primers, bullets and brass so I'll say...enough. :)

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I am figuring to build a shed using battle packs for bricks. That way when Bob Thefed comes to search the compound he won't find it all. I just have to figure out how many battle packs it would take.

18. 408essj

408essj New Member

Well it turned out to be a white Christmas.. Winchester white box Christmas..
    Got 350 rounds of wwb from the wife.

Range here I come! Practice makes subpar decent ;)

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

sold all mine to some dude named juan valdez from juarez

20. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

I normally keep at least 200-300 rounds in every caliber that I own. The only issue is that I own 12 different calibers of firearms. I have found that I am purchasing more ammo in bulk now, so that 200-300 rounds have grown...... Until I go to the range