How many rounds will the AK take......

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by theunsuspecting, Sep 8, 2012.

1. theunsuspecting

theunsuspecting New Member

Last year my buddy(bearded guy) Decided to see really how bad corrosive ammo is on a rifle that was designed and built with shooting only corrosive ammo in mind. So on the first of this year he made a resolution to fire one tin of 5.45x39mm 7n6 corrosive ammo (1,080 rds) every month without cleaning the rifle for one year, for a grand total of 12,960 rds through the rifle. We got 6,480 rds through it by about june, and got a little bored so we decided to see what the rifle could really take! we loaded up 40 30rd magazines and this is the result, The rifle is a saiga 5.45 converted back to original military configuration

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs6iSB85hi4[/ame]
    ......24 full magazines and 17 rounds of the 25 mag, in about 6m20s. 737 rds total in the Florida heat lol
    more amazingly...........
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1s-5-0eoko&list=PLABCC76CEFC3929F4&index=2&feature=plcp[/ame]

Shooting continues.....

2. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

Welcome to FTF . Awesome video... I got a ?

How do AK's run full auto in firefights but catch on fire in semi ???? soldiers/rebels let them cool between mags or ?

3. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Damn that's crazy **** man welcome to the forum also

4. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

People put a bunch of lube under the guard for effect.

I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember seeing this video posted a couple years ago on a different forum.

5. theunsuspecting

Thanks guys, Because nobody expends that volume of fire in firefights in that amount of time, 737rds in 6m20s, most engagements in Iraq and Afghanistan soldiers may only expend 4 or 5 magazines over the course of anywhere between 3-10 minutes, like wise with the insurgency. As a m249 gunner in the marine corps i would not have expended that many rounds in a real engagement with suppressing fire.

6. theunsuspecting

Glad you liked it, Thanks man.

7. theunsuspecting

We put no lube under the hand guards, wood will start burning when its close to 5-700 degrees lol. I just made the video in june of 2012.

8. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Must be my mistake. There have been a lot of those videos out there.

9. nfafan

nfafan Member

Agree.

Now we know why the shortage in AK74 mags and 7N6 ammo. Maybe its me, but I couldn't afford to waste .22LR ammo or a .22 gun on such a stunt.

10. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

All that means is if you take reasonable care of your AK it will last forever!;)

11. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I think that the action of corrosive ammo in the destruction of a firearm doesn't come from firing a gazillion rounds in one sitting, but firing a few rounds, and leaving the firearm in an atmosphere where humidity can work with the corrosive salts to eat the bore. A process that is slowed greatly by the chrome-lined bore, but can still work on other components of the weapon.

As far as burning through ammo, long and fast enought to turn the weapon into a torch, I just don't see the point. Seems almost like vandalism to me; but then again, I am an old fuddy-duddy, and I have a limited ammo budget.

12. nfafan

nfafan Member

+1000 same here on limited funds. Like someone crash-testing their own cars just to see if the mfg lied or not.

13. theunsuspecting

Its really seeing what the system can take, and showing others what a great system this is. We did this to satisfy others curiosity, because no one else would do this.being as though we dont have access to the factory testing, the weapon still works however the rear sight needs to be at the 800m setting to hit targets @100M because of the barrel droop. we will continue to shoot till the end of the year. New Barrel on standby, for 01-01-13 lol

14. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Seeing this video has made me want to look it to getting an ak also thinking about making my own stress test video for the ruger sr9c I can't find any