How many rounds do you have laying around?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Rifling82, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

None "laying around". I prefer neatly stored.

chaswea and Ghost1958 like this.
  2. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

No, just a visit from ATF... :)

3. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

i have an underground magazine. There are approximately three million rounds in cans stored on pallets. Most is military ammunition acquired many years at no/low cost.

4. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Somewhere between 5000 and 8000 rounds considering all calibers I would guess. Internet sales are hard on my credit cards!:D:D:D

5. Danoobie

Danoobie Well-Known Member

THANK YOU, all, for once again co-operating in our voluntary survey of your
    private personal assets. In the event of any real emergency, we will be around to
    confiscate your inventory. Of course, we'll be sure to whitewash it, in the media,
    by labeling you as a "survivalist prepper" and your personal stash as an
    "arsenal"...

SWSinTN, JTJ, Fred_G and 2 others like this.
  6. Shopfox

I'm sure the IRS and NSA already knows exactly how much ammo is purchased by each individual through the internet.

No need to wait for a real emergency. When additional revenue is needed by the government, they can begin combing through the the history of internet purchases, and ensure everyone has properly paid the sales tax they needed to on transactions in which it was not collected by the seller.

Dallas53 likes this.
  7. mikld

mikld Member

I have waaaay more time to reload than I have to shoot so I have lots of ammo on hand. Because of the rain, forest fires, and life, I haven't been shooting for mebbe 6 or 7 months. I have a lot of pistol ammo, 9mm and 45 ACP are my "just in case" guns so I have prolly 300-400 each. My Garand is my favorite rifle so I have a bunch (100-200) loads waiting to be tested and about 300 HXP surplus. Plus ammo for my assorted guns (25 ACP, 380, 38 Spec., 357, 44 Special, 44 Mag., 308, 7.62x54r and 303) that may be around 500 or so. For several years whenever I'd go to a store that sold ammo, usually a big box store, I'd pick up a brick of 22s, just cause I was there. I was able to build up enough bricks to tightly fill a 5 gallon bucket and two large ammo cans. I also have a tupperware container, loaf of bread size, to keep loose boxes, so I figger I have roughly 11,000 rounds of 22. I've never had any problems with ammo during any of the "shortages"...

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    oO_Rogue_Oo likes this.
  8. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

it wouldn't do them any good with my inventory of ammo. since at least 90% of it is handloaded! :D

and the sales tax is already collected at the time of the sale if it's taxable. if you buy off the internet, and the seller is in different state, then it's tax exempt. if it's sold within the same state, then it's taxable. so they would have to change the tax laws regarding internet sales to be able to collect those taxes. and that is always a possibility of happening. i'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

kfox75 and mikld like this.
  9. Shopfox

Not necessarily. Some states, mine included, expect you (by law), to self-report, and self-pay when you do your state taxes. Here's a quote from elsewhere that states it better, "
    For consumers that order tax-free items online, but live in states that charge a sales tax, they are technically required to report that purchase to their state tax agency and pay the sales tax directly to the agency. When consumers are required to do so, it is often called a "use" tax.

The sole difference between a sales tax and a use tax is the person that ends up giving the money to the state government. When it is a sales tax, the retailer is the one handing over the money, while a use tax is handed over directly by the consumer. However, collecting use taxes on small purchases often costs more than simply letting the consumer not pay the use tax. Instead, state tax agencies try to focus more on collecting use taxes for big ticket items that are purchased online with no sales tax, such as cars and boats.

Be aware, there are a number of states that have stepped up their enforcement of their use tax laws and are now trying to make their state residents pay the taxes that should be paid."

kfox75 and Dallas53 like this.
  10. Shopfox

There are so many laws, and so much complexity, not even a simple, honest man can follow them. The purpose of the thick books of laws is to keep the common man guessing, and fearful of the government: which might give him the Mueller treatment and destroy him, if he becomes too noisy and outspoken.

11. Judah_BenHur

Judah_BenHur Member

My problem is not how much really, it's what I do with it.
    I like to 'plink' with 41 mag, 308, 30-06 and the like. Then I get back to the stash and think..dadgum!...I just bought 500 rounds of that stuff. $$$. Where'd it go? :rolleyes:

Maybe I should learn how to plink with 22lr.

mikld, RJF22553, PaBushMan and 2 others like this.
  12. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

I never have enough

Lman57 and Rifling82 like this.
  13. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Active Member

1,142 pounds in military surplus ammo cans.

14. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Im snowed in maybe ill get an exact ammo count today.

15. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

While not disclosing total quantity, I generally have 1,000 rounds minimum per weapon, so if I have six .22s, I have 6,000 rounds. It varies: there are some I seldom shoot and some I would only shoot as a last resort (my Grandfather's Rem Model 12 .22, for example). I generally try and limit the number of different calibers, and with very few exceptions, a particular caliber of ammo is completely reliable in every weapon I have of that caliber. Only have one 12g shotgun, and keep less than 250 rounds for it, for example. It is solely for HD and the occasional proficiency shooting.

oO_Rogue_Oo and Rifling82 like this.
  16. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Ok counted less what is in mags and partial packs in my range bags.
    22 mag 250
    22 lr 3000
    40 sw 900
    9mm 1450
    380 450
    45acp 550
    38 spc. 200
    357 mag 150
    44 mag 100
    Shot gun shells 20 and 12 ga 200
    3.06 20

Rifling82 likes this.
  17. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

I have enough that they will take me out with a missile long before I run out.

18. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Active Member

I attempt to maintain for each SD handgun; HP=500rnds, target=2K rnds
    Rifles; 2K rnds

PaBushMan likes this.
  19. Strat688

Strat688 New Member

Seeing that I live in New Yorkistan, I don't share that type of info. :D

SWSinTN, kfox75, chuckusaret and 3 others like this.
  20. Traveler1952

Traveler1952 New Member

22LR over 45K
    20k of various others for the firearms I own.
    Enough reloading components for several thousand more.
    Not going through another ammo shortage.

PaBushMan likes this.