How many people use a Shotgun for Home Defense??

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Stillersfan, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

I have a Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g) and was thinking about using it for home defense. My only problem is that my wife may have a problem using it if the need would arise. For some reason she just doesnt like rifles. Dunno why. She is great with a pistol with no problem. I may end up using both just for that reason. Your thoughts?

2. vincent

vincent New Member

I can't see the harm is using both, you on the shotty, her with the handgun...I'll definitely call before I come over!!! :eek::p;)

My HD gun was a shotty for years and years. When I moved into the place I'm at now, I had to switch to a handgun but for the simple fact that this house has a long and narrow hallway, almost impossible to navigate with a long gun...

Do what it takes to make sure you're safe...:cool:

3. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Me an Ben have all four corners coverd.......Lets dance.......;)

4. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

Thanks brother! I totally agree. Seems that is the course we will take. Shotty for me and hand gun for the wife. :D

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Women are smaller and weaker and generally needed a smaller, lighter, shotgun all-around. that would also imply a 20 ga. Nothin' wrong with that...

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I keep the pistols and a double 20 handy. Just remember that shotguns have to be aimed. Do not believe anything Hollywood shows. A cylinder bore 12 gauge will pattern 6" at 7 yards.

7. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

This is the plan me an my wife have. I know she doesn't like anything but the pistol so I give her what she feels comfortable with and is practiced with.

8. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I keep a loaded 12 gauge in the bedroom. 9mm in the living room and another 9mm in the kitchen. That covers the top two levels of the house. The gun room is in the basement. That is where the ammo and other guns are kept.

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

My wife has a Browning 380 in her lamp stand as a general purpose weapon close at hand. We do also have a Remington 870 Mag. 12 ga. in the gun cabinet which although she does not like to shoot it she has been trained to do so. I instructed he using light bird shot to start and only let he shoot a few bucks and slugs. The moral of the story in a critical situation and firing the 12 ga. With slugs or buck you will never feel the gun hardly recoil or hear it. But a shotgun is a great defense weapon and the slide operating in the presence of a scum bag has a universal sound of understanding. Pulled one on a burglar in a business late one night and when I jacked the round in he immediately messed his pants and sat down on the floor and gave up! :D

10. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

Yep... I would to if I heard that sound. The sound says .. "Get the F**K out or be carried out in a body bag"!! :D

11. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

QFT. I have 1 shotgun, 1 rifle, and 2 pistols located in the bedroom every night when I go to sleep. The only one in the house that can't use a gun is the dog. And for some strange reason, I really don't think she needs one!:D

Both of you need to use what you are comfortable with. The shotgun (12 gauge 870 with youth stock, mag extension, and a light) is what the wife uses. I prefer my Ruger mini 14 GB20, I use either my 1911 or my GP100 as a quick grab "bump in the night gun", and she has a Ruger LCR in .357 (loaded with .38+ps) in her nightstand. It's not that we live in a bad neighborhood, we live out in the country and the nearest LEOs are 20 minutes away. The only time I have needed to use on of our HD guns at night was when a coyote was killing off my uncle's cats. The only reason we have them out at night is that you never know when trouble can happen. It's not like the BG will call ahead and see if you are ready for him. If he would I wouldn't need a gun. I'd just make sure his arival in my house was right around the same time that I was pouring a cup of coffee for the cops.:D

12. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

Tried to get her to shoot the shoty with bird shot and she still had issues. So.. She will just handle the pistol. She did say that if she had to she would grab the shoty. Go figure..

13. Datalore

Datalore New Member

My pitbull and I live alone. I do not have to worry about the bump in the night may be another family member up getting a glass of water. I have three weapons that I keep out of the safe in the night for just such circumstances. Understand that I do live in a very small country town and we do not have 24 hour police patrol several nights of the week so when it comes to your personal safety you are on your own. The three guns that get the call in this order are Kimber Pro TLE , Mossberg 590 mariner with OO Buck and 50 cal Beowulf just in case I need to get a point across. I shoot each of these very routinely and feel comfortable protecting my home and my life with each. The shotgun has always been on the short list for everyone in my family.

14. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Here is part of my home defense system. pistol grip Shot gun with slugs.

[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

15. mountainskytop

mountainskytop New Member

At up close HD/PD ranges of engagement, I choose Buckshot!!!

16. davva360

davva360 New Member

I plan to get a Mossberg 500 or 590 after Christmas. Currently use a pistol for home defense. Have a holster mounted to my bed frame that is not visible unless you know it's there.

17. mountainskytop

A load of buckshot at close range will literally "cut you in half"! I chopped down a young live cedar tree about 3 inches I diameter many moons ago just using a field grade load of #6 upland game load at a 4 foot distance just to prove that to myself! Try it yourself!

18. mountainskytop

The shot wad never had the ability to expand and the tree died! Check that experiment out to confirm!

19. Robert121571

Robert121571 New Member

Yep shotgun for HD. lIke others said small shoot at short rang is going to do the job. I have a box of federal 7.5 went with that since live in apartment. But oh man at close rang a perp don't have a chance.