How many magazines

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by tenntyrant, Jan 26, 2012.

1. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

Should I have in stock for my 5.56 AR? I have 8 but should I have more and if so what is the minimum number?

2. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

That depends a ton on what you are doing. If you just go to the range and shoot, why would you need more than 4 or 5? If you are one of those AR self defense guys and seriously think you might get into a situation that you blow through 8 mags before you have time to reload...well it's basically impossible to give advice to those guys anyway, so just get what you think you need. Personally, if I had 8 mags, I wouldnt pay for another. If you find a free one, keep it though.

3. Sniper75

Sniper75 New Member

Mags are like ammo why have a few when you can have alot?

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got about 50 loaded ar15 mags. i keep 6 in two military belt pouches plus one in the rifle.

the military load out is 210 rounds in 7 magazines.

the reason i have 50 loaded is that they are on hand and easier to carry ready just in case. i can toss em in a backpack for a quick range trip or whtever. i dont have em loaded ready in case the chinese show up demanding their obama bucks back. its just a handy way to store range ready ammo :)

i would say 6+1 is the minimum i go by its whats ready for me to jump right into it. my wife also has a lce with 6+1

5. spack762

spack762 New Member

So true. Personal i got 10ak mags. 1,20rnd 8,30rnd and one 75rnd:) saves time at the range to reload. Plus i gotem ready for the zombies.

6. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

More ...... ;)

7. mcb

mcb New Member

Too many is never enough.

8. Soliferrum

Soliferrum New Member

how fast can you load a mag? but just to be sure-

1000 rnds/ 29 rnds per mag

35 mags.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

This is true. Think you need more than those guys?

Jon goes on to say that he has 50 loaded. There is nothing wrong with having as many on hand as you want, but if its a question of NEED?

You have enough for combat operations in Fallujah. Do you have enough to satisfy your personal preference?

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Wow, I only have one 20 round and two 30 round. You guys are going to give me an inferiority complex or something.

11. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Get as many as you can afford. It's not about need it's about want. I have lots of things I don't need.

12. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

I have all pmags are there any others that are better or that I should consider?

13. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

If it makes you feel any better I have 7 or 8 and I don't even have an AR...lol. Seems like every time I clean out the attic/shed, I find another.

14. hmh

hmh New Member

Depends do you think the assault weapons ban or a variation will ever be reinstated?

15. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

Ill take them off your hands lol. I got one 30 round mag that came with the gun.

16. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

I have 2 "gi" mags, one in the gun, one in the buttstock pouch, plus 2 20 round pmags and 2 30 rounders on the shelf. The catch with pmags is those damn protecters are a pain to fit on the pouches, and I don't have practice enough to get them out in a hurry.

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

How many can you carry?

18. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I have 10 or 11 mags I keep loaded in the safe right under my ARs, and one in each gun . Should I have more ? maybe but I feel pretty confident I can get by with what I have , Some are Pmag and some are LE used aluminum mags they all work great and the used mags were really pretty cheap I got them for $6 each. Oh I leave the mag covers that come with the Pmags attached to the bottom of the mag I have no need covering them up :)
    I think a good tactical vest will only hold about 6 double stacked anyway, unless you have put another carrier on

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  19. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

My guns take clips not mags... :(

20. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I have as many mags as my chest rig will carry, plus one for the rifle. That means 9. Then, I have a 10-round mag for table work at the range.

I have heard people suggest that as a minimum, with the next level being double that number, for those instances when you may lose some in the field during a SHTF situation.

It is true that there is no maximum number, but we all have priorities of more guns and more ammo and only so much money.