How Many Have A Hard Rod???

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by HOSSFLY, Jan 24, 2014.

1. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yeah Yeah---Most would lie to me anyways :p
    Seriously---Is there much or any benefit in adding a stainless steel guide rod :confused:
    I'm about to order a few little things from Midway & thought I might get one for my 19-----

2. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Good question....I've been wondering the same thing and was thinking of getting one. I dknt see why it could hurt. Im interested to see what the others say

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Me too- only about 20 bucks----
    I've heard a few say they had to remove them cause their glocks just wouldn't run with them but never really heard any say they were a benefit :confused:

4. kyboy

kyboy New Member

The only thing ive read regarding this is that most guys that get the steel rod get a new spring as well which is usually stiffer thus requiring using hotter loads all the time. Ive never known anyone who just put the rod in with the stock spring. I wonder why it wouldnt run ?

5. vincent

vincent New Member

Metal being stronger than plastic?

I suppose if you get the same spring tension, cycling wouldn't be an issue?

I've heard some say the added weight helps control muzzle climb although I can't see it being enough to make a noticeable difference...

IIRC GLOCK recommends an upgraded RSA for +P, +P+ loads as the plastic will fatigue faster...

It's a wear and tear part, can't hurt to have an extra on hand, metal or plastic...

6. blackxpress

blackxpress Member

I was told be a Glock armorer that it puts too much strain on the frame because the polymer guide rod is designed to flex a little whereas the steel rod doesn't. Don't know if he was right about that or not but I leave mine stock just in case.

7. kyboy

kyboy New Member

Yea...now that I think abt it when the slide is locked all the way back the barrel does curve up a little. That rod may be a bad idea

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'm not interested in trying one. 95+% of Glocks, including mine, work fine with the stock plastic guide rod so I'll stay put.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I expected mixed opinions/reviews--
    I dunno-
    I'll decide Monday when I place the order -- don't concider it a big deal-as been said--vast majority will & do run fine with factory :)

10. 44_Special

44_Special New Member

I got the Lone Wolf stainless steel guide rod for my G19....never a problem and the price was right.

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Think i'll get one & a spring - least i'll have a spare set :)

12. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

I used the Lone Wolf in mine, thing I liked is, if the spring needs replaced you can unscrew the allen head screw on the end. I just didn't feel like a plastic guide rod would last long..

13. blackxpress

blackxpress Member

I haven't heard of anybody having trouble with the stock guide rod wearing out or breaking. Have you?

14. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

No, it's just piece of mind, I don't trust a piece of plastic with a spring on it to keep my pistol operating. Besides, the SS Guide Rod and New Spring tightened the action right back up.

15. kyboy

kyboy New Member

I just looked up that lone wolf guide rod and I like it...plus its cheap. Any issues after you installed ? I have a gen 3 g21 id like to put it on and id prob keep the original spring

16. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

Nope. None whatsoever.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Firearms Talk mobile app

17. blackxpress

blackxpress Member

Whatever. It's your gun so do what you want. Not trying to be a jerk about it but I do think it's interesting that you trust a plastic gun but you don't trust a plastic guide rod. Personally, I trust Glock to know what they're doing. I've never understood why people buy a Glock and then immediately start replacing all its parts. I always replace the sights but only because I like night sights on my guns. Other than that I leave them stock and I trust them to get the job done, which they always do. But that's just me.

18. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Enuff- I asked for experience with one- not a pissin contest over aftermarket parts "Should or shouldn't you" use them ;)

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The plastic guide rod in glock and kel tec pistols was designed to make the pistols more reliable. Installing a metal guide rod is not going to make your pistol more durable. Call customer support before you install a metal guide rod in your pistol, they will confirm my words.

Plastic guide rods have a larger head that prevents the recoil spring from slipping over the head of the guide rod, something that will bind up your pistol. Plastic guide rods flex eliminating binding.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  20. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, bottom line is after reading is I didn't order one-
    Figure Glock is a Glock for a reason :eek:

You know, i'm pretty surprised nobody compared my question to the age old classic " does a FLGR help my 1911" question :p