How many firearms can you disassemble

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by jjfuller1, Nov 25, 2012.

1. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

How many firearms can you disassemble and reassemble simply by memory? No lookin up any hints. I thought of this the other night when I looked at mine. Realized I have a couple I still need assistance with. Time to practice...

14 I know
    3 not yet.

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

When you say disassemble, do you mean down to bits (detail strip) or field strip?

3. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Whatever you generAlly do for cleaning

4. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

5. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

what he said^^^^ :p So generally speaking about 20 different styles and models of pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I could probably disassemble any firearm. It's the reassembly that gets a bit tricky for me.

The only gun I have that I can clean without referring to instructions is the revolver. :p I still have to refer to manuals for the other two. There's always one step or so that I forget. I haven't been shooting lately so it's been a while. I've not owned my guns all that long to be a whiz at it yet.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Way more than a hundred I suppose(I started gunsmithing in the mid-70's).

8. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I say 14, and thats a real number

9. twobilly

twobilly New Member

The only guns I have trouble reassembleing are my Ruger MK IIIs

10. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I think that is an integer.

11. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

I had high hopes with my thread at first :(.. Lol

12. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member

I could count them on one hand :( although, I'm fairly mechanically inclined I could probably figure out more if I had to.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

^^^
    I'm like her, pretty mechanically inclined (okay, maybe I'm not really as pretty as her...) I haven't found a gun yet that I can't detail strip and put back together. Something I like to do is tear things down to their very smallest pieces and see how everything works as soon as I possibly can.

How many have I actually done though... well over 50 different makes and/or models I'm sure. Could be way more, I never felt the need to keep count.

14. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

;)Not even close to being as pretty as her.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i can do a couple, on a good day!:D

16. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I can usually figure it out without instructions.

17. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Lmao, well i feel like some people would throw a high number out to look good. Just an honest answer and im proud of it considering i havent been into firearms but maybe 6 or 7 months

18. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

The only one I take down (detail strip) regularly is Kimber Ultra II Covert, and I still get out the picture for the Schwartz and the sear. But I love exploded diagrams, schematics and manuals.

For cleaning, whew... I'll go with about 5 on a regular basis. I would need to put some recent hands on a bunch for a test.

19. DiabloMan

DiabloMan New Member

How many?

So what if I was the only kid in my 5th grade who could field strip an 08-15 Maxim machine-gun, had his own M1 garland, and my own pickup! LOL

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

the only one that i have ever really needed a manual to field strip was the mk19 grenade launcher. since the geniuses that sent em to my unit neglected to send the needed manuals it took me 5 hours to figure it out...