How many crimes are committed with legal guns?

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Survivalism, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Survivalism

Survivalism New Member

I want to know how often someone legally obtains a gun, and uses that gun to commit a violent crime.

I'm having trouble finding reliable statistics on this.

Number per year in America?

Their percentage of overall violent crime?

2. mahall

mahall New Member

T tried to research stats of that sort!! Strangely, I couldn't get any clear cut info!! There has to be a reason for that!

3. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

The statistics may not be as clear cut as your question..

Example, I'm sure some firearms purchased legally are not intended for misuse, such as a crime of passion- husband or wife catching their beloved with another.
    My guess would be only a small portion of ppl who commit violent gun crimes purchase the weapon with said crime in mind, I do not doubt it happens but my guess is most are committed with stolen or borrowed guns.
    I could be way off base buts that my gut reaction to your question. Hence the lack if available statistic..

Someone once said 75.6% percent of statistics are made up anyways.. Go figure.. ;)

4. mahall

mahall New Member

I agree!! You would have to think think that the true Criminals that make criminal activity a life style doesn't do much of anything legally. That's the long standing argument from all gun owners and CC holders!! Criminals will get there hands on weapons, despite what the law might say!! Therefore, we the people must never give up the right to bare arms!!

5. Survivalism

Survivalism New Member

I'm not concerned with details like motivations or time to crime.

I just want to know how many legal guns are used to commit violent crimes.

Of course the numbers will be very, very small. But how small?

This information should be much easier to find than it is.

6. Survivalism

Survivalism New Member

7. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Even weapons stolen from gun shops were purchased at least once legally, by the gun shop. So without the details all gun crimes are committed by legally purchased guns.
    The details are important, thus making the stats vague.

8. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I'm sure the details and specific nature of each crime make accurate stat keeping as difficult as the the ppl or groups that don't want the true facts and stats out in the open.

9. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

A very very small sample but a great example given the recent changes in NY :cool:

One of the comments at the bottom sums it, the stats are useless if the ppl that matter are not listening. I think we all know and agree the stats in no way support the gun grabbers actions or attempted actions.. The real issue is how to get ppl who listen into the important positions that matter.

10. Survivalism

Survivalism New Member

Those are stolen guns. Those don't count.

I'm searching for violent crimes that are committed with a gun by that gun's legal owner. That is all.

11. mahall

mahall New Member

Very few would be my guess!! And those that are, are probably done in an extreme emotional situation, like finding the wife in a less than compromising situation!! But in no way should a cheating wife or her lover justify a life taking situation, but it has happened and will continue to happen from otherwise modal citizens!! A very large percentage of folks are very responsible with guns that legally own them!! The percentage? I don't think you will find that on a National level!!

12. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

See, the real deal is that weapons not used are never really illegal in themself (stolen weapoins are obtained illegal, they are not illegal by nature), they have committed no crimes just existing. Any weapon becomes illegal the moment it is used to commit a crime; before that, its just a paperweight! We do want to label things, thats what we do well! We would be miles ahead trying to separate the act from the fact that something exists.

Its not that tough to punish a crime but nearly impossible to classify purpose of a device based on its capabilities! A baseball bat isnt illegal, its just a stick; its the physics of the crime not the potential misuse that has value in judgement! Our laws have stretched well beyond the point of securing and defending our BOR's, they are punishment for "what if" not "what is"!

My drill Sgt used to say when he was teaching us to march, "Dont anticipate the command" (loudly I might add)! He would do things purposely to trip us up so that we would understand that reality is more important than perception. "Wait for it, assumption is the mother of all phuck ups!!".

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  13. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

That would depend on whether or not you include suicide as a violent crime. Even then you may have a hard time determining which guns were legally purchased.

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

That is not data that is captured. Doing so is next to impossible.

15. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

You will not find any stats because there is no 'standard' definition of 'legally obtained gun'!!! In some jurisdictions almost all are illegally obtained, and just go across state lines and almost none (obtained in the same way) are illegally obtained.
    Unless the gun is actually stolen from the owner it is legally obtained, at least according to the Constitution!! ;)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  16. JonM

JonM Moderator

Its not anymore impossible to capture that data than it is to record the crime itself. The issue is those that record such data have a political agenda to meet and dissimination of actual data doesnt fit the predetermined mold and desire of gun control.

There is a reason things like a dog stepping on a shotgun setting it off and killing someone along with suicide and justified self defense shootings are all rolled into homicde crime with a gun.... hell the damn data collectors even include stats such as a hunter driving to the hunt getting killed by a drunk driver as gun violence because there was a deer rifle in the car