How many are/were Airborne qualified?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by matt g, Mar 11, 2009.

1. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I was just wondering how many brother Paratroopers I have on the forum.

B/313 MI, 82nd Airborne
    Aug 96 to Apr 99
    31 Jumps

Novice wings, American.
    I just missed a chance to get British and German wings.
    I got scratched from the manifest for Canadian wings.

2. user4

user4 New Member

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I guess submarine duty is out of the question.

We are BOTTOM GUN! [​IMG]

We had a sign over the missile control compartment hatch that read:

"Through this portal pass the highest trained, lowest paid professional killers on earth!"

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  4. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

Wind Dummy here too...

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

That's TURBULENCE TESTER, thank you very much! :)

6. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

yup... plus one paratrooper been a few years though since I went;) but once you do it, you did it one of my best memories, most fun I ever had at a "school"

7. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I fell out of a plane two years ago at 12,000 ft. The dang canvas collapse 30 ft. above the ground in high winds and I bruised my spine. I can't mustard the chops to try it again. I must admit it was pretty cool until I sank my heels into that corn field.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  8. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Just a nasty leg. Hooah.:cool:

9. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

Not yet, give me time though and I'll be one of the (ch)Airmen with jump wings. Either as a TACP or if I'm lucky getting one of the few slots in my career field, even if it is just being a 5 jump chump.

10. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

12,000 ft? WTF? Let me guess, in the daytime, nice weather...blah blah blah...

We are talking 65# of parachute and 100# of gear, waddle to the door, hope for four seconds, and be prepared for combat when you finally hit the dirt/asphalt/trees/truck/bleachers.....

maybe in the deepest darkness of night too....

11. SlamFire

SlamFire New Member

Airborne unit in Ft. Richardson, AK needed a Medic for HaLo training, (High
    Alt. Low Opening) circa 1968 - 70. I'd done a few recreational jumps and so the unit trained me (w/o having to go to Ft. Benning, GA). I got the wings, the pay, and some jumps with the rectangular Para Commander.

12. c3shooter

Slamfire- 172nd Bde ?

13. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

It was raining, high winds, and I had a 225# South African jump instructor strapped to my back. He show me the altimeter at 6000 ft, and the again at 5500 ft. He pulled the cord at 5000 ft. I guess I was suppose to pull the cord, although , I was too busy watching the ground come at me at over 150 mph or was it the other way around.

Doc says I will suffer from back pain the rest of my life from hitting the ground that hard, was it worth it, yes, will I do it again, maybe.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  14. c3shooter

Ah, the good ole days- when your Walkman weighed 25 lbs, and the name on your running shoes was Corcoran! :D Remember one graceful (not) exit when I jumped, aircraft lurched, legs cleared door, butt hit floor, went out flipping forward. Think the jumpmaster used term "hog on ice".

15. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Good luck! I always got a kick out of seeing blue Jump Wings. What is your current career field?

16. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

Services, I'm a cook/fitness guy/lodging. For us to go to jump school is veeeeeeeery veeeeeeeeeeeery rare, but its been known to happen. Just like in the Army I'd have to be assigned to one of the units that has my career field and is authorized jump slots, basically either RED HORSE or something down in SOCOM.