How many actually carry a B.U.G.?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by 304inc, Nov 11, 2013.

1. 304inc

304inc New Member

I can definitely see the advantages, but to a regular Joe like me I don't really feel the need to carry a backup gun. Unless someone felt uncertain that their primary was not going to function properly. Then I would say get a different primary,, I would not carry a weapon if I was not 100 percent sure it was going to work the one in a million time that should need it. But bugs seem to just be more weight,, Holster adjustments,, etc..
    Wondering how many actually do? And are they situation specific, or just going around every day carrying?

2. vincent

vincent New Member

I subscribe to the theory that one is none, two is one...

I carry a BUG whenever possible...meaning whenever I can wear long pants, as ankle carry for the BUG is my preferred method...(Doesn't always work out in the Southern summers unfortunately...:( )

I also believe wholeheartedly in Murphy's Law as well...hence the BUG...:cool:

3. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

I have never carried a back up gun (outside of the military) and have never really seen the need to nor has anybody I knew. In my opinion a B U G is not really suited to your joe dirt but more to your LEO etc. I know some hunters will carry one in back up of say a bolt gun when hunting dangerous game etc, on my mountain outings my typical carry gun was my Stoeger double barrel. As far as CC ing two guns, I think that would be a pain in the ass and chances are if you lose your main gun you are in no position to go for your back up. Just my 2 cents :)

4. TX45

TX45 New Member

I carry the Taurus TCP as a BUG. My main ccw is either the Ruger SR9c or Taurus PT145.

5. 1911love

1911love New Member

LCP weak side pocket. Sometimes when I'm out and about with friends who I trust, but don't have a CWP, I'll tell them. If SHTF it enables them to get a weapon in the fight. Otherwise I just carry it JIC, Mr. Murphy scares the crap out of me.

6. AOK

AOK New Member

I started carrying a BUG (Kahr CM9) about three years ago after a private training session. The instructor was having me run a failure drill. I was in the middle of moving and shooting when all of a sudden the slide of my Glock 23 goes flying off (slide lock spring broke). I would have been toast had that been a real fight.

In addition to the event that changed my mind above I have also seen several people get their hands shot in FOF classes. You never known what can happen in a fight. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Always got my ruger lcp, smetimes its the only gun I got sometimes its an extra. Just don't violate the cardinal of self defense.... have a gun, ANY gun.

8. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

EDC is a Kahr PM9 with 1 BUM.

Weekends or anytime my family is with me, the Kahr rotates to the BUG roll and my 4" Kimber .45 takes the lead.

I agree with the mindset that 2 guns = 1... and 1 guns = none... But 2 guns, or even a bigger gun is simply not feasible for a work environment where 100% no BS concealment is a MUST.

Tack

9. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

I carry my BUG as a main gun. A larger gun is usually within reach in the car.

10. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

:confused.....................

11. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I carry quite a few bugs. They're mostly fleas. They itch a lot. It sucks. Why would anybody WANT to carry bugs?!?!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  12. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

You said it for me.

13. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

Yes, I started carrying a back-up when I stopped carrying a revolver as my primary.

14. 1911love

1911love New Member

What if you can't reach? A BUG makes sense in 99.9999000000 of SD encounters. A BUG is cheap, why not???

15. 1911love

1911love New Member

Don't forget about pocket carry. BUG's rest best in discreet methods.

16. Donn

Donn Active Member

I don't wanna get into a p*ssing contest with the advocates here, as we've been down this road numerous times already. MHO? Unless you're a LEO, VIP security, a member of organized crime or a drug cartel, one should be enough.

17. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Woah did somebody on FTF say one gun was enough?!

ITEOTWAWKI!!!!!!!!!!l!!

Guns are like Pringles. Once you pop the fun don't stop. One is never enough! That's like eating one chip! Or only having one tire on your car! Or only having sex once!

No worse.... It's like only having ONE BITE OF ICE CREAM!

It can't be done. It simply can't. Maybe one per room, or one per vehicle, or one per pocket....

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

Why is it wrong for a citizen to carry more than one??

I don't understand that idea.

My lcp fits in a pocket where it always is, my carry gun is a much more capable firearm. I carry either a xdm compact, colt commander, colt new agent, berreta m9, sigp220, colt 1911, xdm fullsize or a beretta inox compact m9 depending how I feel. There are times when its better to not attract attention so I leave the bigger gun in the car and keep the pocket gun.

What your telling me is since I'm not a leo or criminal type I should be disarmed if its a situation where a fullsize or compact carry is not possible.

Most folks that carry two aren't looking at having it in case of firefight and you need a second gun.... if that was the case I wouldn't bother with carrying a lcp and carry two beretta m9 at 20+1 capacity.

19. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Only on one or two occasions have I felt any need for carrying a second gun; however, besides my carry weapon there is usually another one in my vehicle.

20. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I have a S&W Bodyguard 380 or a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in a pocket pretty much all the time. I keep a bigger gun in my glove box when driving, and when I'm out of my car, I may or may not holster the bigger gun, based upon what I'm wearing and where I'm going. I know the Bodyguard 380 is not the most powerful manstopper, but I live in a pretty warm climate and sometimes I can't conceal anything much bigger. When I do carry a bigger gun, the Bodyguard 380 stays in my pocket, and therefore becomes a backup.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013