how loud is a .41 magnum

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by randy420, Aug 10, 2013.

1. randy420

randy420 New Member

i bought a box of hsm .41 magnum bear loads at cabelas. how loud is the .41 magnum? i have been hunting with that caliber for a long time, i love the sound of gunfire but i am sensitive to noises that are louder than a .22lr. everything i found online for the .41 magnum was for handguns (163db).
    my .41 magnum is a Marlin 1894fg lever action rifle. i don't know what the barrel length is. i also bought a pair of sound filtering earplugs that are made by primos in conjuntion with Earpro, they have a 24nrr. would that be enought to get around my noise problem? please help!

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

For the intermittent shooting that occurs in most big game hunting a 24 NRR is more than adequate to protect your ears.

Strange thing is, when I shoot a deer, turkey, pheasant, etc. I do not notice the sound of the gun even though I do not wear muffs.

I hunted with a group a few years ago and one of the guys shot a 300 Win Mag with a muzzle break and he had to wear industrial ear plugs even when deer hunting. But he hunted in a box stand on a pipeline, so hearing the deer in the woods was not critical to his success.

You should be GTG.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013

3. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

How loud is the .41 mag? You will have some hearing loss if you fire the gun in an enclosed area like a house without hearing protection. For hunting, no problem as long as you wear your newly purchased ear protectors. My father has tinnitus from firing a low caliber rifle without protection on just one occasion. The ringing is horrible!

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

Generally shooting outdoors is better for your ears than indoors. When I'm shooting at indoor pistol ranges, I double-tap ear protection. I wear the orange foam inserts, which I believe have 31db reduction. I also have some cheap over the ear style, that are around 30db reduction I believe. I don't shoot a .41 Magnum, so I can't tell you specifics for that caliber.

I have stood underneath helicopters for four years out of my Marine Corps career, and proper hearing protection was never very important to me. As a result, I have very slight hearing loss. I'm prolly lucky I got smart when I did. Around the time my wife and I started shooting a lot, I looked into better hearing protection. Wanna conserve these ears as long as possible.

Anyway, your 24 db reduction is prolly ok for outside. It will still sound loud, but it will help your ears.

5. readygirl

readygirl New Member

What......huh.....what......

6. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

You are using a rifle so if you are hunting in an open area the muzzle blast will be reduced considerably compared to the same round fired in a revolver. Is it to loud for you, only you can determine that. It would not bother me in the least if I used it for hunting.:)
    So if it is to loud for you let me know, I will take it off your hands!!!;)

7. jackrich3

jackrich3 Active Member Supporter

Well, after about 20 rnds, I usually have the indoor range to myself. I didn't know Marlin made a lever gun in .41 mag. I'll be looking for one pronto.

8. JimRau

I have been, thats why I volunteered to take it off his hands if it is too loud for him!;)

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Marlin Lever guns in .41 are pretty scarce. They bring a PREMIUM. I have wanted one for a LONG time. Even when I see one for sale, it is $800+

10. randy420

randy420 New Member

11. randy420

randy420 New Member

I refuse to sell it. I was given that rifle by a friend when I passed hunters ed. If the government tries to take it or any of my guns, there will be blood and it won't be mine.

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

Certainly a beaut.

13. randy420

randy420 New Member

It's fun to shoot. When I shoot it at the range I use plugs and muffs and it sounds like a big thump when it goes off.

14. randy420

randy420 New Member

I have another question about the hsm bear loads. Are they safe to use in my rifle and if they are supposedly built for bears, what would they do to a deer nowhere farther than 100 yards

15. JimRau

I did not figure you would but I had give it a try.;):D

16. JimRau

Yes they are. You can shoot hotter loads in the rifle than in the handgun. Many reloading manuals show special loads for the 44 Mag for rifle only.:)
    There are very few 41 Mag rifles so I don't think they list the hotter loads for the 41.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

they will be safe to use. they will do the same thing to deer as it does to bear :)

the only possible issue might be cartridge length. some lever guns are very sensitive to cartridge overall length.

ive shot whitetail with 458winmag 458 socom 338winmag 44magnum out of a ruger autoloader 30-06 and 308.

the 41 mag should have no problems downibg any deer at 100yards. just be sure the ammo cycles and you know your bullet drop and zero

18. The Primos ear plugs are really Surefire Sonic Defender ear plugs. I use the Sonic Defender EP7 Ultra ear plugs. They work extremely well as you can use them with the noise caps in or out. Even with the caps out they provide good impulse noise protection while allowing you to hear ambient sounds. For hunting they are the best I've found as I can easily wear them all day and can hear ambient sounds (with the noise caps out), yet a gun shot (impulse noise) is attenuated.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  19. randy420

randy420 New Member

Isn't the .458 win magnum a African dangerous game load? I've seen pictures of the ruger .44 mag rifle. There is two versions : 77/44 magnum rotary and an autoloader that looks like a 10/22 on steroids.

20. randy420

randy420 New Member

I took the rifle to the range earlier today, It shoots slightly less than 1" high at 50 yards with the bear loads. It should be dead on at 100 yards. I put 24 rounds through it off the bench. I used the 24nrr earpro sonic defenders and my 31nrr earmuffs. I always use doubles at the range no matter what guns I bring. It's an outdoor range, 25 50 100 yard lanes and a skeet range. First come first serve, no range master. The reason for the doubles is you don't know what could be going off. One guy had a 50bmg armalite. The .41 mag didn't bother me with plugs and muffs in. The earpros are probably going to be plenty when I'm deer hunting, considering it's completely open.