Firearms Talk banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,789 Posts
I can't confirm this, but I've seen it more than once, that PPU was producing the brass for Winchester white box when it was first on the shelf. PPU jumped head first into the commercial production, and had some QC problems with annealing their brass, and some out of spec rims on their 6.5 Swede ammo.
I suspect, out of spec primer pockets. Over pressure will show on the ones that still have the primer in the fired case.
Did you save the fired brass that didn't lose the primer? Got pics of those?
PPU 6.5X55 brass is considered pretty darn good by reloaders of that round.

·
Registered
45 Posts
PPU 6.5X55 brass is considered pretty darn good by reloaders of that round.
Absolutely! Just saying the first batch they made had problems, and the majority of that was sold to the US market. It wasn't a huge problem at the time, the rim recess cut didn't have just the right angle for most extractors.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm going to look here In bit and see if I can find a couple stray cases that made it in the range bag after ejection. It usually picks some up. Maybe I can find some for pics.

·
Premium Member
7,881 Posts
I the late 70's I found myself in possession of a box of guberment issue 45 acp which pre dated WWI. It was in very poor condition or I would have saved it for a collector. I fired the rounds, and as I said they were in bad shape, and 4 out of 5 fired just fine. I have no idea what the conditions they were subjected to, but by the condition of the box it was not good.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Not Winchester. Federal mil spec 5.56 cases. Looks like reloads. In one of the pics looks like the primer pockets were reamed. Maybe too much... might explain the priners popping.
"LC 14" is Lake City plant made in 2014.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Not Winchester. Federal mil spec 5.56 cases. Looks like reloads. In one of the pics looks like the primer pockets were reamed. Maybe too much... might explain the priners popping.
"LC 14" is Lake City plant made in 2014.
Oh wow, thanks for the info! Not even as old as he thought! Would you shoot any more of them or should I suck it up and go buy new stuff?

·
Premium Member
Glock G42
5,109 Posts
Just found an unfired one in the bag as well. Back of case says LC 14 View attachment 246937 View attachment 246938 View attachment 246939
The Head Stamps with the LC prove it is not any Winchester product. That was made by Lake City Arsenal.
Operated for decades by Federal Cartridge Company.

I cannot read the rest of the head stamp. Is it marked 223 or 5.56??
Years ago I had some LC 5.56 supposedly made to Military Specs. But it wasn't entirely. The primers were not crimped
into place on a number of rounds. Didn't notice until I blew a primer a few times in one day. I started sorting the ammo and found probably 30 rounds out of 100 that way.

·
Premium Member
I hope I never need show anyone....
2,611 Posts
This thread has gained interest to many, Yep me included. I've never heard of a primer just falling out.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
The head stamps have the NATO cross. 5.56 to mil spec originially. This is why i think they are reloads. Crimped primer pockets wouldnt blow out. (Thats the whole point) Looking at one of the pics i think i see where the pockets where reamed. Maybe a little too much, which might allow the primers to pop out. I wouldn't shoot them.

·
Premium Member
Glock G42
5,109 Posts
Good chance Cliff is right about reloads. In any case, I personally would not be shooting that stuff.
I only will shoot my own reloads because you never really know what someone else may have done.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks yall. My pops has something like two or three hundred more but I'm not gonna take the risk. Ill give him a heads up as well and will get new stuff! Thanks again. Happy to keep discussing though If anyone has thoughts or opinions.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts