How long until SHTF?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by partdeux, Dec 22, 2011.

1. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

This is a really long read, but IMO very valuable... According to the author, we are close to the end. Video at the end of the article is also worth watching.

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

9 to 12 months.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've been saying 5 years it less, but I keep shortening the time frame. I'm now thinking 2 years, tops. Unless there is some serious appeasement coming our way.

4. partdeux

I agree with your assessment... but think the printing press will keep running until after the next election.

5. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Imo, there are a number of things that have perculated up to be taken notice of. I feel no need to list them again in this post, as they drip thru this forum with great frequentcy.

Any of the scenerios which we talk about could be the catalyst for what we fear most, the safety of our families and friends and our ability to protect them. Civil unrest and martial law are hand and glove.

I'll go with the Mayan calender. Atleast that gives us 1 full year to the day.

6. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I didn't read it all, but I'm guessing he's after your money by useing scare tactics. A sound financial strategy is to generally ignore guys named Porter.

7. partdeux

There is a sales aspect to it... but, you can't argue with the financial data that's presented.

US hit a milestone today (yesterday?), our published debt now exceeds our published GDP. Our debt to GDP ratio is greater than 100%, and getting worse by the day. And that's only using the published numbers. If we were held to the exact same standard as Greece, Greece would look like a pebble on the street in comparison to the US.

8. bkt

bkt New Member

I'm about half-way through and pretty engrossed. If there's a sales pitch, I'll ignore it. Nothing I've read thus far hasn't been known or discussed before but it is well-written.

If you have a means of refuting his claims and reassuring us they're not as dire as he's making them out to be, please share the URLs!

9. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I classify myself as cautiously optimistic and try not to get caught up in every nanobit of dire news that passes by my computer screen. There is tons of it, some folks can't live without it..others prey on those that can't live without it. And no, I don't have any URL's that refute his claims directly and I have no interest in researching the web to find them. That's a lengthy article...if I were the one taking the time to read it I'd certainly go through the research to help support or negate its contents. From what I can gather, (not sure how factual the internet is) he has a shady past at best and implemented a name change to his organization after running into legal/fraud troubles. There are a million other (good) sources available in the same profession that don't appear to have a black eye...so, why read his?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  10. bar

bar New Member

There is certainly some sort of sales pitch aspect to this or use the article at the very least to draw attention to his services for investment info/strategy. The info and stats seem pretty accurate and is worth the read. The only issue I have with the investment aspect is that if this guy really believes SHTF is less than year away why would anyone bother with T-Bills,etc...?! Seems like a waste of funds when you could put them to much better use for ammo, food, etc...
    I think the scariest thing about the possibility of SHTF in the very near future is that it could happen very quickly when it does go. Also, I believe that it will not necessarily take a large event such as a coordinated terrorist attack, full financial collapse, etc... I think it could possibly happen from a much smaller event which may cause, at first, localized panic which then leads to much more wide spread panic and so on. Much like the rush on gas stations that we have encountered here a few times in the last couple years. Where all it takes is a few ill placed news reports or rumors of gas shutdown or heavy shortages, then you hear the news report and may be a little concerned but don't believe it enough to run to the gas station, but then some others who are feeling the same see much longer lines than normal at the stations and of course start thinking "wow, there is really something to this!" and stop as well thinking that if they don't fill up while they can.... and then the wide spread panic starts to set in with people scrambling everywhere, traffic jams, etc...
    That is my fear anyway, that it may not take an event that, in and of itself, would really warrant an all out collapse, but due to the current state of things with unemployment, banks, general unrest and uncertainty that it would quickly turn into a self fulfilling prophecy due to a wildfire of wide spread panic. I am sure I would be sucked in by it as well because if something happens then you see the news reports hyping things up, traffic begins to build with people rushing home from work to try to get to their families - who is really going to be willing to take the gamble that it is not really the beginning of the big SHTF? Will we know 100% certain - "This is it!" ? Will it begin as a whisper? Or a thunder clap?

11. partdeux

Bar,

There's a large percentage of people that have no clue, and will have no clue if it does happen.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Excellent perspective. There is no lack of possible scenarios and it could be something very simple that starts the slide.

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Did you not get the memo? THe S is due to HTF next Thursday at 1500 hrs

14. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Good commentary. So, what to do about it? Unless you're wealthy I don't see much that you can do. Safehouse? sure..many probably have a rural place they could go to escape the madness of the big city. Then what? Goods and services will probably be worse in the small towns. Ammo? yeah, that's easy enough. Food/Water? ok..stock pile enough for a month or two...then what? Hobby farm and grow your own? Most don't have the means or funds for that. Clothing? ok..I think we all have enough for a while. Firewood? It'll probably be looted the first day. Fuel? Be nice to have an underground 500gallon tank with hand pump..big project, probably have to sell the boat to fund that :( Gold/Silver? hmm..you can't eat that. Transportation? hope the electronics and computer hang in there, you can't swap parts like the old days, Cuba keeps all those old Galaxys and BelAirs chugging along...they'd be better off than us...the new Superpower. Anyway...most are not equipped and lack the means to be truly prepared.

15. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

No reason not to try and prepare while you can,yes I understand I'm not going to acquire a fully stocked retreat between now And then. Neither am I going to lie down and submit to a death by starvation or by the hands of another starving person without giving life in a post shtf world a shot. Those who wish to accept that the end is nigh and do nothing about it can... **** they'll be ahead of 90% of the population just by realizing that it is indeed coming.

As for me,ill continue to buy mags,ammo and food till it hurts,And fill my bug out bag as much as I can afford.Yes ill probably still end up a refugee,but ill be in better shape than most.

16. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Great...what's your address again?..I missed that.:D

17. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Huh??? The memo I got said March 12th, 2013 at 5:42 pm.

18. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Lol I don't plan on being there long once the shtf,and even if you did catch me there it wont be much of jackpot you'd hit.I am but 20 with an entry level tradesman's income so when I say buy till it hurts I mean it,And it starts to hurt fairly quick. But it seems I'm better prepared than most around me,then again those individuals among us who have the fully stocked retreats probably aren't talking about it to others very much.

19. bar

bar New Member

@Sonic82:
    I definitely agree that unless you are wealthy, you can only procure so much food, water, ammo, guns, etc... and also may not know of someone or someplace or have the money to acquire a rural escape destination. I am sure many of us, even in these Forums are not true hard-core "Rambo" types who have an excellent chance of persurvering regardless of the enviroment or situation. Just as Jstrong mentions we have to at least try, be prepared as we can be, etc... Sure it will be difficult, far more difficult than anything we have ever done but that certainly does not mean it is a futile effort and we are destined for failure. If and when it comes all we can do is the best we can with what we have. The biggest factors in your longevity of that situation will certainly depend on how prepared you are, your determination and your skill set. I would guess most of us on this Forum at least have a better than average chance over the "average Joe" out there. One thing to reflect on is that there is always someone else who has endured more with less for longer.

20. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I think the entire forum should agree to meet at zero one hundred hours on ?/??/?? should these events take place. How about your place? Do you live in a warmer climate? trip286 lives in Mississippi, that's pretty warm.