How long have you been shooting for?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Boyerracing343, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I am sure this question has been asked, but how long have you been shooting for? What or who got you into shooting?

I myself began shooting when i was very young. My dad claims when i was 5 years old i loved tearing up soda cans with the 22. I would sit in his lap and plink away. Whats your story?

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I got interested in shooting in March of 2010. I bought my first gun in August of 2010........and I'm not young! :) I'm a newbie when it comes to shooting but I sure do have fun when I shoot. I have many years of lost time to make up!

3. jackandcoke

jackandcoke New Member

BB guns and .22 rifles (supervised, of course) since I was about 6, handguns shortly thereafter. My dad and his friends shot something pretty much every weekend, so I did too.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

i got a plastic mattel m16 for xmas that shot sparks when i was like 4 or 5. down hill from there.

5. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

I'm 18, been shooting for about...2 years? Still not as much as I'd like too :( maybe every coupe months. I'm looking forward to tearing it up this summer after schools out :D

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Over 25 years....dang I'm getting old:eek:

7. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Im 35. Been shooting for 30 years. First gun was a single shot. 22.

8. AusLach

AusLach New Member

I was about 4 when I first accompanied my grandfather shooting rabbits out of his lettuce patch, I started on the pesky little bastages when I was 6 with my dad's .22.

9. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

About 53 years now. Started when I was about 6..........

Jim...........

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I used fired 16 g shells for teething.

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

When I was four, my father bought me a single-lever action BB rifle and under his watchful eye I was allowed to shoot beer cans off a saw horse just off the deck.

By 6 I had my first .22lr and by 8 or 9 I was competing in NRA events.

Later, I earned extra money zapping crows off the Valdez tug boat, garbage dock for $5 a body and made myself enough to buy a new Death Star Plat form AND a new Schwinn BMX bike. ;)

Pistols came much later, but that was were I initially excelled until "long range tactical" shooting became a passion.

I guess I was almost born a shooter. But my old man was a great coach and one of my biggest fans. Got me ammo, to my matches, gave me competition advice and was always there with basic gunsmithing needs. *respect-miss you dad*

JD

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  12. freefall

freefall New Member

When I was 7 (1962) I was given a pretty good Daisy and told to shoot every sparrow I could. Allowance was paid in BBs.

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I can't remember a time when I was not shooting something.

14. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

59 years I started at 6 my father took me out with a S&W K-22 taught me offhand and hip shooting. Then I got a Daisy BB Gun and a Remington 550 22 auto when I got out of 6th grade, and at 13 my brother gave ma a 1911 Colt made between 1917-1918.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

30 years started at 6 years old as well.

My stepfather got me into shooting and I was hooked since the first pull of the trigger on that Daisy Red Ryder.

16. WDB

WDB New Member

Looking at 40 years. I got my first real rifle when I was seven, a single shot 22 had to share it with my twin brother. dad worked with us to figure this was a tool not a toy. First hunting rifle at 11 a Lee bolt action .303 for deer hunting, at sixteen a Savage .308 lever action (I still own that rifle). At 18 a 5.56 given to me by my uncle.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  17. hydrashok

hydrashok New Member

I first fired a gun when I was 12. We saw Tackleberry fire a "Colt Python" on Police Academy, and thought it was the baddest gun around! So I was talking about it to my, then, stepbrother when his grandfather overheard me. He took me out in his back yard and let me fire his snub-nosed .357 Colt Python. I was hooked! He, then, let me shoot a BUNCH of .22s out of his semi-auto rifle.

I found out real quick I loved shooting! Unfortunately, I didn't have much opportunity to do so, inspite of growing up in the country and having a stepfather who was a deputy sheriff (who passed away in '94). Now, I'm grown, and I own a gun store and have a firing range at my house.

I don't know if Mike Bowles is still alive, but I'll never forget him!

18. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I fired my first round out of a Lamma 1911. It was a .380. I was 8 or 9 years old. But started really shooting at about 15 with a Marlin model 60.

19. steve666

steve666 New Member

I fired my first shot at about age 6, Ike was president. My mother taught me to shoot.

20. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I started shooting about 45 years ago at the ripe old age of 5. At that time we had 1 long gun and it was a Remington single shot .22. A few years later I got started on shotguns & a .22 Beretta pistol.