how long does meat last

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by 1911beast, Nov 16, 2011.

1. 1911beast

1911beast New Member

how long does pheasant meat last in a fridge. also whats the best way to store the meat to last the longest time:D

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

prolly two weeks if kept in the coolest part of the fridge.

freezing below zero f. mammoth meat has been eaten that was frozen 10,000 or mor years ago. meat kept frozen below zero f. is pretty much indefinate. it just gradually loses flavor over time. best way to store is to vaccuum seal before freezing. air is the enemy of frozen meats. a chunk of frozen meat will still go bad if exposed to air while being stored. wraping in paper or cellophane meat will keep 3-4 months. vaccuum sealed indefinate

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

3. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I woudn't think more that a week in the fridge. Maybe a few months in the Freezer. If you really are looking for long-term storage, drying and smoking is the way to go.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

The best way to freeze meat is in a non-self defrosting freezer. Usually the freezers attached to your fridge is a self defrosting one. Which means the temp raises a little on occassion to melt any frost building up. For long time storage, I have a seperate chest freezer that does not self defrost. I eat meat out of there that has been in there quite a while.

5. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Vacuum seal it. The home units work fine. Costco has them. I have had meat stored in a freezer for a year and when cooked, the taste and texture are the same as meat frozen for just a week.

[​IMG]

As far as fridge storage, anything beyond 5 days is getting risky.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Fresh game kills will last quite a bit longer than store bought as most store meat has already been dead a week or more. But you still need to vaccuum seal if you plan on keeping more than a week.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Thats the foodsaver i have. Worth every penny.

8. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Yeah, I like mine. I learned though, the FoodSaver brand bags work the best.

I have some Boar sausage that's been in the Freezer for 18 months, and it still looks good.

Besides game, which I don't have the opportunity to harvest often, I use it to package store bought meat when its on sale.

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I do have a vacuum sealer, too. They are nice to have around.

10. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Remember to keep you hands clean if you are not vacuum sealing and freezing your game. Bacteria on your hands will multiply even at 40 degrees in your refrigerator. ZipLock bags don't work for preserving or keeping raw game meat at refrigerator temps, they just keep the refrigerator cleaner. O wouldn't expect much more than a few days storage ion the refrig. before game meat begins to show signs of spoilage. This all depends on how it was handled in the field.

11. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Huntin's over for the nite

[ame=http://youtu.be/l_kaa4CP64s]"GRANDPA JONES" The Huntin's Over For The Night - YouTube[/ame]