how long do YOU leave mags loaded

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by coronadrinker85, Nov 27, 2011.

1. coronadrinker85

coronadrinker85 New Member

Hey guys I was just curious how long you guys leave your home defence guns loaded. Do you worry about spring fatigue in the mags?

2. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I've left some magazines loaded for 30 or so years and they still worked fine. They were M1 carbine magazines. It usually is the use of the magazines that wears the springs out.

3. coronadrinker85

WOW, good to know! I've always been concerned with them not working when the time came. looks like theres not much to worry about

4. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I have never had a problem with the springs getting weaker, no matter how long the magazine was full. I have heard all kinds of stories about spring fatigue, even warnings about leaving the magazine loaded overnight, but I have never experienced this problem.

5. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Spring fatigue primarily comes from the number of compressions made to the spring, not so much how long the spring has been compressed.

6. coronadrinker85

Very nice! Thanks for the info guys, guess I'll be loading up a few more mags :)

7. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

I guess I'm different, I don't like to leave my mags loaded for very long, like a month tops. It's good to leave them empty to keep the springs strong. I try to rotate them every 2 weeks if I can. I know it seems like a lot of work but it will guarantee strong springs. You never know what might happen that one time it doesn't feed right. Better safe then sorry.

8. Olympus

Olympus New Member

You'll wear your springs out faster with that method than you would if you just left them loaded.

9. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Leave your mags loaded until you have occasion to empty them "properly"...

10. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

Right, properly... :rolleyes:

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

ALL my mags stay loaded till i use them-
    Dont care if its a week or 5 yrs ;)

12. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

I also leave my sidearm loaded although it is not at full capacity while hibernating.

13. kystang90

kystang90 New Member

You always hear one group of people saying leave them loaded won't hurt them and some argue unload them as it destroys the springs. I truly dont have or know the answer but I reside with the group that keeps them loaded and ready if I need them!

14. GaryE

GaryE New Member

loaded magazines

I read an article a gunsmith wrote concerning the wear on magazine springs. He stated that its not length of time there loaded but the actual spring movement up and down as there used. I know other shooters who have kept them loaded for years without any weakening of the springs.

15. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

I will echo that the emptying of the mags puts the most stress on the springs. Think of it as bending a wire back and forth. The more you bend it, the weaker it gets. I have seen it with officers at work. There was one who just had the springs replaced last year. This year they were short again. I asked him if he left his mags loaded or routinely unloaded them. He stated that he unloaded them all the time on his days off.

16. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

17. Diesel44

Diesel44 New Member

Until they are shot or swapping magazines.

18. hogrider

hogrider New Member

I have one that I keep loaded with expensive factory rounds that I slap in when I go into public. Been loaded that way for two years now. Once a year I unload it and load it with my own reloads for a function test and it's working just fine. I think I'm going to stop that practice and just leave it loaded because I can't see that it's harming it one darn bit.

19. Polygon

Polygon New Member

They stay loaded until they are fired. I wonder why this comes up so often. Perhaps we need a sticky?

20. tomsawyer

tomsawyer New Member

The only problem one should have is if the mags suffer any damage, or get dirty or corroded. Extreme temperatures might affect the springs over long periods of exposure.

Never had a problem myself.