How is your AR set up when its on stand by as your defence gun?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by lilbailnick, Aug 22, 2012.

1. lilbailnick

lilbailnick New Member

A few questions of specifics in the above title thread. What kind of lubricating does one use. What would be suggestions about where to have it lubricated when being a ready defense gun grab? It seems clear that oil wouldn't be much effective being that it evaporates quite fast. So with that said, I would think most if not all would choose grease over oil? Thanks

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

my wife's ar is our home defense rifle. lubed with 30weight synthetic motor oil. it gets shot every couple of weeks wiped down then relubed.

just about anything is fine. a good quality ar15 will run a full 210round battle load just fine totally dry if there is no choice. tetra gun grease is an excellent longtime lube if it needs to be stored for a while and you just gotta use something http://www.midwayusa.com/product/133862?cm_vc=S014

3. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I use Mobil1 full synthetic 5-30w motor oil. It doesn't evaporate quickly. The last time i check my guns, they are still wet for at least 2 months.

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Biometric safe.
    Electronic earsweaters.
    Aimpoint on. Always on.
    550 lumen weaponlight bolted on.
    Full mag with m193.
    Slip2000 slathered on.

I'm experimenting wth frog lube. Might just have to put it on a double dong bcg.

5. lilbailnick

lilbailnick New Member

Like it all! And thanks to all

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I've got to know what you mean, Tikki. Is this a special product or just another name for normal electronic earmuffs?

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Plz excuse my clumsy attempts at being funny.

If I'm shooting a an ar15 indoors, I'm gonna need some ear pro.

Electronic ear pro suits me best, as I want to hear the quiet stuff

8. Sentry18

Sentry18 New Member

+1. Ditto that for me with good success.

9. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Excuse me for being fixated on this point, but are you saying, Tikki, that you have electronic ear muffs next to your AR? And that you would put them on and turn them on in a real home defense scenario?

Just wondering. I've hounded others about this very question, too, so it's not just you I'm picking on. I am really curious about what people do about hearing protection during HD. Most people do nothing and plan on doing nothing because the primary and only focus is, of course, on protecting the family home.

10. LandMonster

LandMonster New Member

I don't think ear pro is out of bounds. I keep a pair of pajama bottoms with my AR because I often sleep in the buff. Don't want to be caught bare assed on Cops.

11. lilbailnick

lilbailnick New Member

I've become interested in ear protection. Do you have a picture of and is it a costly device for that when wearing them you can pick up quiet sounds? Are they bulky and is it quick to put on? I would call myself quite green still when being that I bought my first shotgun)first of any weapon just about 18 months or so. Since that time I've bought 6 others. The reasoning behind this thread post was because my shotgun needed to be sent for repair, so the current HD is not available. Thanks for listening to my rant off topic in middle of post

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

when your adrenaline gets going you wont notice the shots. what normally would leave you stumbling around with both hands over your ears in a non-life and death situation, you wont even notice it whiled stressed and under the effects of adrenaline rush.

basicly hearing protection isnt needed in a home defense situation.

13. hindle1225

hindle1225 New Member

So true. I've seen a few individuals shoot many thousands of rounds in ranges and mock situations. Only to watch them stumble for a mag when they don't feel recoil anymore during real engagement. In my home the only accessory next to rifle is a sidearm.

14. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I have my range bag next to my safe, my Howard Leight Electric ear pro on top of my safe. Grabbing the AR first....ear pro if there's time.

I haven't shot my ar indoors, not anxious to either.....

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

Not a good idea if you are just training. Ive fired a shot or two from each of my defensives firearms at verious indoor ranges sans hearing protection so i know what its like.

Ive been under life and death stress and fired indoors before i dont remember it being anywhere near as painful as doing it inside under no stress. Everyone ive ever come across has thats done both have said the same thing. Life and death they dont remember the shot sounds.