How Hot

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Fisherking, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

How hot do you guys run your guns. I was watching shooting USA and those guys go through a lot of amo.
    I shoot my new AR about five to ten rounds and let the gun cool right off. I will go shoot my 22 or handgun and then come back to the riffel.
    I would gess that these guys go through barrels preaty fast. What would be the life of a barrel when you are rapid shooting like that 30- 60 rounds rapid fire

?
    What would be the life of a barrel when letting it cool off after every five rounds?

Just curious.
    F.K.

2. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

Thanks, I'm preaty OCD about keaping my guns cleaned. After every range trip I clean them. But on those shows the Guys shoot them dropping mags out and slam a new one in and those look to be 30 round Mags. I figure thier sponcers(sp) keep them stocked in barrels.
    For lubing the BCG I have read that people are using Moter oil. Is this only for warm weather and in the winter they switch to something a little thiner in colder climates?
    Thanks F.K.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I have had M-16 barrels so hot they were glowing orange. They never lost much in accuracy afterwards.

I have pumped 60 rounds through mine as fast as I could jerk the bang switch.

The nice thing about an AR is that you don't have a piece of wood covering 1/2 the barrel keeping the heat in.

For lube I use grease on the high friction points and oil for the lower friction point. That oil is 0w30 Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil.