how hard is to get a class 3 permit

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by jekyllandhide, Jul 23, 2012.

1. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Not hard but you have to have an 01 FFL and make an attempt to conduct business and the SOT stamp is $500 a year. If you are looking just to own a can or SBR/SBS then you don't need a Class III.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

There is no such thing as a "class III permit". Class III is a category of firearm. You can purchase a Class III weapon several ways, each involve a $200 tax stamp. You can also obtain a license to deal in Class III firearms and a license to manufacture a Class III firearm.

3. jekyllandhide

jekyllandhide New Member

i would like to have a m4 full auto

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yep- and as Momma used to say, folks in Hell want ice water, too! :D

First, you have to be at least 21. Second, go find a machine gun dealer in your state. They can guide you on the paperwork. Transfer must be thru a dealer that has an SOT to sell machine guns.

Not to be personal here, but just how hefty is your bank account right now? Reason I ask, the going price for a LEGAL, transferable M16 is AROUND $15,000, plus fees.

Which also explains why you might get something that LOOKS like an M4, but you will not GET an M4. Y'see, only those full autos that had already been registered with the BATFE by May 1986 CAN be transferred to a private citizen. NEW full autos cannot- they can only be transfered to a military or law enforcement agency. And the M4 was not made until after the cutoff date. There are NO transferable M4s.

5. jekyllandhide

jekyllandhide New Member

What would you suggest i get i want 223 it my just be outa my reach

6. c3shooter

A semi-auto AR style rifle will run you about $650 and up. Go over on the AR thread, and folks can offer all kinds of advice on brands.

A full auto is going to cost you and arm and a leg (and first born male child). That is because there is a limited number of them, and there will not be any more. Only the ones registered ALREADY can be transfered to a private citizen.

Now, if you still want a full auto- and want a carbine that LOOKS like an M4, go find a Machine Gun Dealer, and see what is out there. But be prepared for some SERIOUS sticker shock.

Jon- if you are following, I have not personally bought a full auto in a long time. Your thoughts on selling prices? Think you said you recently sold one?

7. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Yep as c3 said arm, leg and first born. Or $16k I believe :D by the way the M4 I carried in Iraq only had a 3 round burst.

8. c3shooter

Yep, the M4 is tri-burst- and that is still LEGALLY full auto. More than 1 bang per trigger pull.

9. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

That's cause the ATF people are DUMB IMHO :D

10. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

Ok not to poke the bees best but what about a compromise like a AR with slide fire or bump fire. I have seen those and hear they are totally legal. Just a random thought.

11. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

They work and are legal. Just out of curiosity... have you considered that 223 ammo is roughly $0.25 a round and that FA fire involves hundreds of these a minute? FA fire is overrated and insanely expensive.

If you have to have it, buy a S&W M&P15-22 and put a slide fire stock on it. A .22 is the only reasonably affordable way.

12. jekyllandhide

jekyllandhide New Member

So slide fire is leagal the 15/22 sounds like a great idea i have been wanting one anyway where can you get slide fire lower done at any gunsmith

13. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Slide fires are pretty easy to do yourself and unless your LGS has them you can order it from their website.

14. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

A 22 with slide fire would be awesome. I agree full auto is a waste.

15. zombie-hunter

zombie-hunter New Member

Hello C3 I was wondering if you know about "home base FFL's" I was looking to find out if I can get a FFL and sell online from my home?

16. c3shooter

CAN you have an 01 Dealer FFL with a business operated from your home- YES- from a Federal standpoint.

MAYBE from a local standpoint.

Before the Feds will issue you an 01, you must show (a) you intend to "engage in the business" of buying and selling guns, and (b) you are in compliance with state and local laws- like ZONING- and having a business license, etc. There 3 folks that I deal with that DO have their business at their home- TWO of them are good gunsmiths- but zoning allows it where they are.

Where you are- I can't tell.

17. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I'm a home based FFL. As C3 said as long as you meet all the requirements locally the feds don't care. You are more likely to be stopped by your local zonning board than anything.

18. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

FYI - Most of the FA colts and even the conversion weapons that were selling for $12k-$15k are now up to $18k-$21k. This has just happened in the last few months. I blame the price increase due to the SHRIKE avaliability. Used to be a belt fed AR was hard to come by. But today, there are more of them @ the $20k range (and everybody thought that the MM23E was over priced) - LOL

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

M16 depending on condition and type are from 15,000 to 25,000 for an actual M16-A2. i sold my A1 for 16000

another type is the drop-in-auto-sear which can be installed in some RDIAS lowers like the BCM lower and the new Colt LE901. finding one that someone is willing to part with for a reasonable price... that is a challenge.

if you just want a full auto mac10 types or uzi's are pretty common as literally thousands were made and registered. Full autos do not ever go down in price. its a better investment than gold.

people who buy an actual M16 tend not to shoot them since shooting them makes them less valuable. people who shoot full auto for fun use DIAS devices or uzis or mac10 or ac556 or something along those lines.

expect to spend BIG $$$ for an actual colt. there are some other registered knockoffs of the M16 that got registered way back but most of those are pretty terrible and seldom work right.