How does this even happen?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by savageman97, Mar 28, 2013.

1. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

I just found this casing and I have no idea why this means

Attached Files:

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Was this a really hot load? Over pressure can do some weird things to primers.

3. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Was it in a box of ammo or is that from a range trip

4. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

It was a factory load that I shot at some time or another.

5. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Your bolt didn't fully engage and there fore didn't strike the primer fully. Becareful with those, it can make it seen as if it's an empty mag but can still fire for up to 15 min. After 15 min it's completely harmless and make a cool paper wieght

6. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

That is called primer flow. It happens when you have an over pressure load. Do you still have the box that rounds came in? If so get that box and call the manufacture and let them know what happened. That is a very dangerous malfunction.

If you see this on more ammo or different loads and brands then take your gun to a gunsmith.

7. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I have had this same problem I don't think it's the ammo. I think it's from the bolt not closing all the way

8. customammo72

customammo72 New Member

If your bolt doesn't close all the way then the gun shouldn't fire, it's called headspace, this is a signature sign of an overpressure load or a hot load.....

9. mseric

mseric New Member

More details please.

Brand of ammo.
    Rifle brand and type.

Remington 700 by chance?

10. savageman97

savageman97 New Member

The ammo was Remington and the rifle was either my savage 10 or my browning blr lightning model

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

brass is being driven backwards out of the chamber against the firing pin. Too much pressure and you will get a blown primer and a face full of hot gas...

12. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

This is the second post on bad Remington ammo this week. What the hell is going on when this company? Lives depend on the functionality of the guns and ammo. How do you all feel now about this product (ammo) and your lives? Just keeping it real...

13. customammo72

customammo72 New Member

Right now their ammo has gone straight to crap, bought some Remington Thunderbolt 22 LR and one squibbed and destroyed the barrel in my wife's Walther P22, really screwed the barrel up like I've never seen.... Will never buy it again. I believe if this had been a larger caliber the gun would have blown up in her face...... Then I would have been very very pissed. Called Remington and they told me to send in the info from the box, lot number etc. and they would start a claim for me, I guess they want the rest of the ammo back to test it too but they are gonna pay the shipping and hazmat I sure am not, I want my money refunded and them to buy me a new barrel at the least.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  14. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

How a squib ruin your barrel? Another round fired after the squib?

15. customammo72

customammo72 New Member

Yeah, she didn't realize the round didn't leave the barrel and fired a few more times, then realized she was hitting all over the target instead of center mass like she had been, stopped and asked me what was wrong, I watched her fire a few more rounds and they were going everywhere, I immediately stopped her and tore the gun down and found the destroyed barrel. That's why I said if it was a bigger caliber it would have blown up in her face since she didn't realize that one round never left the barrel.

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

High pressure and an overly large firing pin hole in the bolt face. The primer "flowed" into the available space between the firing pin and the bolt face.

Remington and Federal primers tend to be softer (and more prone to this) than others.

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Man sorry to hear that. But it wasn't the squib that messed the bbl up. It was trying to shove it out with another bullet. I'd still be really pissed but I would take this lesson and never forget it. If it was a bigger caliber the gun would have been the least of your problems. Your wife couldhave been hurt very bad. We always have to pay very close attention to our weapons when shooting. A friend of mine was almost killed when he did that with a Kimber that went into grenade mode.

I'll agree the squib is a very big deal and you should get them to right the wrong and hopefully get the others in that lot returned (good luck in these ammo times). But part of the damaged pistol is the responsibility of the shooter. Even with it being a 22 your wife is extremely lucky that didn't end up much worse.

I don't use anything Remington anymore. It seems over the last few years everything with their name on it has not been near the standard that name used to adhere to.

18. customammo72

customammo72 New Member

Oh yeah I fully agree with you and now my wife has learned a valuable lesson, she said looking back on it that one shot just didn't feel right but she doesn't have the experience with guns like I do and didn't realize she should have stopped. Now she knows tho and I am grateful it was just a .22. Even if they don't replace the barrel I don't care, **** it's 80 bucks for a new one no biggie, lesson learned for the misses, I would mostly just like that lot recalled and my money back for the ammo, if I get just that I will be happy. I am not going to sue or anything, hell it was a simple error, but point being their ammo has gone down hill in terms of quality.

19. customammo72

customammo72 New Member

Another experience with Remington ammo recently, this past hunting season my buddy bought some remington 7 mag ammo I don't remember which type, he shot at a deer at about 400 yards.... the round dropped and hit the dirt at about 80 yards from us and I laughed at him and told him he sucked at shooting until he shot the next round and we watched it pop out of the barrel and land about 10 feet from us.... no more shooting that ammo, I tore it all down and made reloads instead using the same primers and bullets, just new powder and they shot fine after that.

20. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

I shot 200 rounds of reloaded 9mm today. I had one do this to in my 92fs. It had a Remington primer in it to.