How does everyone feel about the Walther P-22?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Lmyoung, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Lmyoung

Lmyoung New Member

Im thinking about getting a walther P-22, and good or bad things?

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I was about to get P22 but after reading lots of reviews, decided to get the Ruger SR22. They look the same and the Ruger costs $290 shipped. And now i'm very happy with it.
    I'm sure other P22 users here will give you their personal experiences.

3. DavidB

DavidB New Member

I wanted a Walther p22, until I found the Smith and Wesson m&p 22. you should check them out if you haven't already. Got mine for $350 out the door

4. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

I havent heard much good and have heard a bunch of bad. At best it is picky and needs high end ammo

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

ruger sr22! it looks exactly like the walther, but thats where they stop being alike. the ruger is of way better quality. its shoots well, is not nearly as picky on ammo. out of 7 brands ive only had problems with one and that was after the gun was super dirty. ruger is also made in USA. be sure to handle it before settling on the walther p22. the walther tends to be 50/50 with good or bad pistols.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have only shot the P22 a couple of times and had trouble both times. I have seen others having problems with them on the range as well. I have not shot the Ruger SR22 or the M&P so I can not comment 1st hand.

7. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I've owned a p22 for around 4 years.

Long breakin time
    Can be picky about ammo
    Needs cleaning often
    Recoil spring is a pain to reinstall

Like the d/s action
    Like the accuracy
    Like the mag drop release
    Like mag design
    Like the sights
    Like a hammer on my handguns

All in all I will keep it but recommend you check other types.

8. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

its an older design and was innovative whan it came out althow it has gained alot of haters but with all guns a certen about of maintenance is needed. dont know about the other but with sky rocketing ammo prices they are becomeing very poupler

9. Lmyoung

Lmyoung New Member

I talked to one of my gun buddy's and he said he has had his for 5 years with no problems. So that got me started on them, but im so unsure.

10. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Search "P22 vs SR22" in google or youtube. Go to your LGS and hold each of them. Follow your heart :). Price is about the more or less is about the same.

11. msup752

msup752 New Member

I'm still looking at both of these pistols as well. I like the Ruger but it will be a lot more expensive for what I need.
    I have a Sparrow suppressor in "jail" for another 2-3 months so I need a threaded barrel. Walther comes with a threaded barrel that only requires a $30 adapter. Ruger does not yet make a threaded model and only one company makes replacements at a $150+ cost.
    Having said that, since both pistols cost the same, is the extra cost to get a threaded barrel worth it to get better reliability?

12. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Thats what i thought at the beginning. I got the threaded barrel kit too.. from twin tech tactical.
    I'd rather spend $150 extra for peace of mind.
    My Gemtech Outback 2D is in jail for another 5 months. Lol

13. clearsights

clearsights New Member

My wife has one and that alone is a big deterrent for me shooting it. It has been pretty good for us...no problems in shooting. I have been wanting to get the Ruger as well.

14. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I can't really offer up anything negative about the P22. But I also can't think of any reason not to buy the similar Ruger SR22 (costs less, comes with two mags, etc) instead.

I've shot the Ruger a bunch. Zero failures with any ammo. Great little gun.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

ruger Mk3 22/45 no question

either one of these are simply fabulous suppressed

http://www.ruger.com/products/2245Lite/models.html
    http://www.ruger.com/products/2245ThreadedBarrel/models.html

the lite model is super lite but ive got the heavier model with fixed sights i run supressed.

[​IMG]

go 22/45 and you can use this tool for TONS of fun

http://www.mcfaden.com/cliploader.html

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZdLK4Wjyz8[/ame]

if your going to get a 22 for fun the 22/45 is a total no brainer.

16. msup752

msup752 New Member

Nice Jon. Good to hear from someone who has a can. I did see the 22/45 for $250 which is cheaper than the sr22 or the p22. I was concerned that the barrel length would be too long on the 22/45. I do have a buck mark but aftermarket barrels are $275 so might as well get a new gun!

17. phildenton

phildenton New Member

Too long? What purpose you have in mind?

18. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

HATE it I used to have one. Jammed up all the time! Got rid of it and got the ruger sr22

19. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

Wife has one that chews through any brand of 40 gr. and sputters with any brand of 36 gr.

I don't like the complexity of it, but it is fun for her to shoot...once we figured out the diet requirements!

20. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

The P22 is about a like a Kel Tec it has core of loyal fans the rest of the world wouldn't own one. From my experience it takes a year or two of cursing it, abandoning it in your safe, finally you figure it out and have a pretty nice gun.

I have shot several P22's that were accurate and a pleasure to shoot but from the owner reports I wouldn't buy one.

I would take a look at 22/45 they are extremely accurate and I haven't heard anyone that owns one say a bad word about it. My neighbors 14 yr old son has a 22/45. He takes care of it about like you would expect a 14 yr old to care for a gun and it just keeps firing. His idea of cleaning it is washing the mud off it when he comes in off a 4 wheeler. The 22/45 is about $50 cheaper too.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012