How do you store your ammo?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by jeffm, Nov 29, 2016.

1. jeffm

jeffm New Member

Out of curiosity I am wondering how you all store your ammo? I have heard don't leave it in a gun safe and store it somewhere else, currently I have my ammo in an ammo box in my gun safe in the garage, however I got a little safe to put next to my bed and I figured I'll leave a box or two of ammo in it for home defense.

2. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

in ammo boxes modified with Master gun locks, which will be the subject of a future post. distributed all over the house, so if someone gets one he does not get all. some are used to stabilize power tools, because that is necessary and you have this dramatically heavy steel box full of lead and brass laying around, so two birds, one stone...

3. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

My ammo is stored on shelves in the gun room.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Ammo should be stored in a cool, dry area.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

But some ammo is stored in the original plastic bag that the peas came in.

6. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I vacuum seal mine, and write the pertinent info and the date ammo was purchased.
    Then store it in ammo cans labeled with the caliber via label maker. I also treat the O rings with molykote (Vaseline can work as well).
    I throw dessicant packs in the can and keep in a stable temperature area.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Ammo-Cans~~element29.jpg

Yeah, but I caught a hell of a sale.......:p

Seriously, military ammo cans are really good. Be careful about using any petroleum based grease on the rubber seals. But cool and dry is good.

Myself- I actually found a surplus shop that had some old style HEAVY 4 drawer filing cabinets- the kind with roller bearings for the drawers- for $20 each. Works well because you can store ammo by caliber or type.

But I do have 6 of those filing cabinets now......

8. jeffm

jeffm New Member

Heat was actually my main concern, i keep my house between 67-70 but also need some ammo with the gun for home defense next to the ole bed.

9. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Store ammo?? :confused:

I shoot mine up quicker than I can make it.... :p

10. junglejim

junglejim New Member

If it isn't in the magazine it isn't where I might need it. Keeping track of the magazines is my challenge, because I like to use them a lot.

For my "play" ammo I mostly just shoot it up and reload it. I try not to hold any over a long time.

11. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I just stack mine on the floor and shelves!! :D
    15433336839_752a3daaed_b.jpg

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Jeff- at 65-70 degrees, ordinary humidity levels, it will last longer than you will. Heat at 90 (my attic gets to 120 in the summer) or humidity levels like Baton Rouge in the summer- not so good.

13. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

In a closed closet filled with clothes, linens, or towels, humidity will be absorbed by the fabric.

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

On the cool, (~60 degrees) dry concrete floor of my basement workshop, in sealed MilSurp ammo cans, with a packet of dessicant in each can, and a blue indicator tab.

The tabs and dessicant packs are dried in the oven at 180 degrees of the tab starts turning lighter blue. (Hasn't happened yet.)

I open the cans and check the indicator tabs every six months.

15. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

An old military foot locker at around 68 degrees

16. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hmmm...! Reminds me of that old Franck Zappa tune , (Stink Foot) . :(. :D

MisterMcCool drinks , I know things ...! Hey old buddy , take care of you and yourn , the very bestest to U-awl-s , throw in a batch a "Live Long and Prosper" !

Ho ... Ho ... , ... ? ... Oh yeah ... Hoe .......! Shhhhhhhhhhsh , We know things !
    :D

17. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Ammo that is not in mags is in ammo cans, separated by caliber (some calibers require several ammo cans). Mostly mil surplus ammo cans, but also some Plano ones available at WalMart. I don't bother with desiccant since where they are stored seldom exceeds 40% RH, and in a climate-controlled environment.

My 30-year-old M193 ammo stored that way is as good as new (what's left of it).

The only corrosion I experienced was with some crappy Portuguese 9mm given to me about ten years ago. Some boxes were okay, some were badly corroded. They had been stored (before given to me) in a cardboard box in a garage in northern Virginia for over ten years. Not really sure what I'm going to do with them. The few I shot (about 30 of the best ones) had about a 10-15% failure rate (failure to fire). They are segregated from my operational loads and may find their way into my 3' tall, 7' diameter burn pit.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Another excellent option is the heavy duty plastic ammo cans from Midway for $10.

Not cheap, but certainly competitive with MilSurp cans and much lighter. They seal airtight and they don't rust.

19. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

G I cans.
    it it is good enough for the US Army, USMC, etc.
    it is good enough for me!!
    I have mine in the house, in cans, in the man cave room's closet.

20. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine is in either the military ammo cans or the gun safe. Now that Trump has been elected, and I have less fear of shortages, I may just reduce the inventory levels a tad.

The safe and cans are all in the same closet, inside the house. The house climate control lowers the problem of humidity.