How Do You Store Ammo?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by PanBaccha, Sep 8, 2012.

1. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Do you store ammo in boxes, plastic ziploc bags, or loose in ammo cans?
    How about shotgun shells ... loose or in boxes... in ammo cans?

2. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

I store ammo in my guns magazines :p.

Usually i keep everything in the appropriate box.

3. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Original boxes, in either those plastic cabelas dry boxes or ammo cans.

4. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I don't store my ammunition, I shoot the snot out of it then reload the spent brass then shoot the snot out of it again. I usually have less then 100 loaded rounds per claiber of ammunition at any given time.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  5. Coyotenator

Coyotenator New Member

I do the same with a dessicant pack thrown in.

6. MrShotty

MrShotty New Member

For 22 ammo (and 20ga), I put in a ziplock bag and throw them into an ammo can. Which I then make my own desiccant and put that into the ammo can. For 12ga ammo, I just neatly organize them into the ammo cans. Either the US military cans or MTM ammo cans. Both work good.

7. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

YES! I have one HUGE one in each dry box as well. One of them is about the size of a cream cheese sandwich. I think it came with our flat screen TV, LOL. :eek:

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I store it in the boxes it came in, on shelves in a climate controlled space. Much of the ammo I buy in bulk comes in sealed cans that will be fresh fifty years after I am dead. The calibers I shoot a lot of gets rotated, except for shotgun shells. I have cases of shotgun shells left from the Y2K scare. I made the mistake of storing some of it in my barn that was not climate controlled, and it ruined a bunch of it. (I live in an area where 100% humidity and high temps are common)

I have .45 ACP that was produced during WWII that has been stored in the paper containers since 1941 and is still about 99% effective.

If you keep the ammo in a dry and reasonably cool place, and away from solvents, it is very forgiving.

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I store in boxes, or loose in ammo cans, with dessicant packs and blue indicator tablets, in a dry basement.

Every 6 months, the cans are opened and the indicator tablets are examined. If they show any moisture, the dessicant packs are heated to 200 degrees and held for two hours, then re-inserted into the cans, and sealed. The rubber seals in the can lids are also examined. If the rubber seals show deterioration, the cans are sealed with a double wrap of duct tape.

A stick on label is placed on top of the can with the date after each examination.

10. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I store in the original boxes in military ammo cans, I prefer .50 cal ammo cans because they are managable, stackable and fit perfect on an old bookshelf next to my safe where I store my firearms stuff. I've got one for shotgun ammo, got a wide range of shells in it ranging from #8 shot to sabot slugs. Got another thats full of loose 7.62x54R for my M44. The last .50 cal can contains .45 cal for my 1911 and 5.56mm for my AR. Also recently got a .30 cal can and use it to store .22lr and a few boxes of .380 acp.

11. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I store my reloads in Rubber Maid containers.

12. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I keep mine in ammo cans. If it came in boxes, I just pack the boxes in the can, if it's in bulk, it goes into the can loose. I put a bunch of dessicant packs in each can as well. I keep it in the house so that it stays in a fairly dry atmosphere at a relatively constant temperature.

13. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

Yes.
    Plastic MTM boxes, zip lock bags, canvas bandoleers (what else would you put 8 round en bock clips in?), magazines..... Part going into GI ammo cans, part not. Oh, yea, 5 round stripper clips and those 10 round M16 strippers too.
    I haven't bough commercial ammunition in 30 years, so I don't have many 'Boxes' of ammunition. I did pick up several white box with plastic holders for .38 wad cutters, flip them over and they hold .45ACPs quite well, 50 to the box.

14. Seven

Seven New Member

:) Probably should be in the SHTF threads, but...

[​IMG]

I use one of those "safety" can openers, load my ammo (in a ziploc bag with a silica packet and load data) in the empty and cleaned can, and use a toothpick to put just a dab of epoxy around the lid...

[​IMG]

...then I hide the can.

tinfoil hat ftw !!

15. knightlife

knightlife New Member

We have a decent sized roll box that we can push off the porch into the truck if need be.

We vacuum seal our ammo with a dessicant pack in them.

Don't fret, we do keep 3 mags or clips ready for each gun on the rack.

16. niteglock

niteglock New Member

I just leave it in the boxes it comes in and put in my safe. Is that bad?

17. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

In a bucket filled with oil. Helps clean the gun as Im shooting it.

Seriously though, next to our safe I have a cedar chest that is pretty much air tight. Anything I load goes into labeled boxes and then into the chest.

18. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I use marine grade plastic ''ammo" boxes that I find at Bass Pro. On sale they are $5.00. They are bright orange, which really does not bother too much. They hold around 800-1000 rounds (handgun) per box depending on caliber. I do store them rounds loose, but through in a descant pack or two for good measure. Speaking of descant packs, I get a ton of them at work this time of year and would be happy to send any extras to anyone that need them. PM for details.

19. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I store all of mine in ziplock bags with desiccant packs in ammo cans..............

20. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

I just store most of mine in Military ammo cans and the rest either in mags or a box in my 5.11 range bag (the big one).