how do you remove a stuck case from a die?...........

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Anna_Purna, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

With no bottom anymore?

30.06 casing, into an RCBS die, and the bottom end of the casing is gone. Any tips or ideas?

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Only thing I can think of is melting it out. What do the guys suggest?

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I always use a brass punch if the case head isn't there. Just take the die apart,and secure it in a vice,then tap out the shell body with the brass punch.

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

The bottom end (where the primer once was held) is now 'gone' :eek:

5. Txhillbilly

Yes,You need to disassemble the top end of the die,remove the sizing pin,and knock the rest of the case back out the bottom of the die with a brass punch.

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

What brand die? If its a Dillon send it in and they will warrantee it. If you try to melt it out you will undoubtedly ruin it completely. Brass melts at around 1700 degrees. That's pretty hot.

7. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

What does the tip of the die touch as I am smacking the other end? (there is a huge hole on the bottom end of the brass)

And thanks for the help :)

8. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

it is an RCBS 2 stage type rifle die, It was the resizing die with the decapper pin. The decapper part is removed now, so bow I am stuck with just the die shell/housing part, and a piece of brass that doesnt budge.

9. Txhillbilly

You can't hit the top/neck of the case with a punch? It will bend if you hit it,and you should be able to knock it back out.
    If not,you can always send the die to RCBS,and they will remove the case.

I've always been able to get 223 brass knocked back out with a brass punch,a 30/06 shouldn't be much harder to do.

10. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Does the tapered part of the punch point rest on the throat of the brass? (guessing)

11. Txhillbilly

I use a small round brass punch that is flat on the end. Set it on the top edge of the case,and hit it,then do it again 180* from the first strike,and repeat.
    If you use a brass punch,it won't damage the die at all,so you don't have to worry about that.

12. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Thank you for the suggestion TX, tomorrow I shall go look for a brass punch in the store and give it a try. So far everything I have done doesn't do a thing for it. :(

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

If can get a brass punch that is .308" in diameter I imagine it would work?

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It is usually impossible to knock these out. The RCBS stuck case remover will remove the case without damage to the die. :)

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I interpret this to mean the entire base is separated from the body. It will need to go in to RCBS. They will either fix it or replace it

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

If the head of the case is missing a standard broken shell remover for a rifle will remove the brass. It sounds however that the flash hole is reamed out. A stuck case remover uses a 1/4" tap and screw to remove the case. :)

17. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

Is the rim damaged, or is it missing?

A simple way that works well is to put the die in the freezer for a bit, then place back into press and simply punch it back out.

You can purchase a stuck die remover, or simply make one with a socket a nut and bolt. You tube for an instruction, a visual on how to make one is easier than for me to try and explain how to make it.

Morale of story learn to properly lube your brass before sizing I recommend a tin of Imperial Die Wax

18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

You need a RCBS "stuck case" removal tool.

19. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Stuck case removal tool will not help if the entire case head is gone

20. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If the entire case head is missing, I would send the die back to the manufacturer and let them do it rather than take a chance on damaging the die.