How do you plan for firearms purchase

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by windjammer69, Jul 9, 2020.

1. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Palmetto State Armory finally had some ammo in stock, so I just placed an order and got some .223 and some 9mm, before they're out of stock again soon. I've been checking my LGS, Local Pawn Store and Hardware this past week or so. And they were out of ammo every single day! So as soon as I saw PSA having at least some ammo in stock (finally after weeks of checking) I placed an order in a heart beat.

Now some shotgun shells and .22 when I go to my local walmart next time. And my ammo list is done.

I'm a very happy man! :D

dango and Lonewolf Mcquade like this.
  2. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

I've never experienced scrambling around the net, gunshops etc... for ammo then paying high prices for it when I did find someplace that has it. learned that lesson from the very first panic buy back in 2002.

anytime thereafter when I needed to stock up, I looked who had the best price and bought it. even when I didn't need it, if I found ammo at a phenomenal price, I bought it anyways. now I just sit back and laugh during every "panic" since then
    :D

my mantra has been to "buy it cheap, stack it deep";)

dango likes this.

3. PANDEMIC

Yeah, I'm done scrambling around trying to find ammo. I wasn't a gun owner before this panic buy and so this is the first panic buy I've expirenced and now I see why people follow that mantra "Buy it cheap, Stack it deep" which I will be doing as well later little by little once this panic buy passes. But for now I found some ammo a little cheaper and a few dollars more then what my LGS usually has them for, and so might as well buy some now otherwise, if this panic buy worsens, I may not see ammo on selves or online for months.

Rifling82, dango and Lonewolf Mcquade like this.
  4. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

I get it.

Back in the day when the M24 was my daily driver I did not consider buying more weapons.
    But after graduating to civilian I developed an itch. I do not know if its caused by watching the news or by my low opinion of people in general.

But I like buying tools too. I have 2-3 battery impact wrenches and a whole drawer of 3/8" ratchets. Its pathological.

dango and boatme98 like this.
  5. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

I don't buy many guns anymore but I do buy reloading supplies. I don't go scrambling around trying to find ammo, I learned my lesson back when Obama got elected. I ended up paying 60 cents a round for cheap .223s. I learned to reload after that & have stayed stocked up ever since. I save my money back & ready to buy when the price gets low enough if I need it or not.

dango and PANDEMIC like this.
  6. PANDEMIC

I've been thinking of reloading myself, but haven't given it that much thought.

Is it hard to reload, risky if you make a mistake?
    What's the budget to start out? And what would be an easy caliber to start out reloading?

I've got guns in .22LR, 9mm, 12G and .223/5.56

I normally stick to just buying factory ammo regardless if its alot or a little. Because I've seen youtube videos of people's guns exploding because they were using reloaded ammo and they weren't reloaded correctly. That's why I'm afraid to get into it and I make some short of mistake and may not realize it you know.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    dango and schnuffleupagus like this.
  7. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

Right now everything related to guns or reloading is going to be hard to find or expensive. But in normal times it is reasonably cheap to start reloading. You can't reliably reload .22LRs, I hear with shot shells it's cheaper to buy them bulk than to reload, the 9mm is a break even but you can reload & get better accuracy, the .223 or just rifle rounds is the deal breaker. After finding good deals on primers, powder, bullets/projectiles I can reload .223s for about $0.13 cents per round. Most rifle & some less common pistol rounds can be loaded cheaper. But that is offset by the amount of reloading gear that you will just have to have so in the long run it's not any cheaper to reload it's just another hobby/addiction waiting to be funded.
    It's safe if you take your time READ THE RELOADERS MANUAL!
    Most people starting out want to get the job done as fast as they can to get out & shoot them & all they are making are little bombs. Or they try to make a hotter round than they can buy from the gun shop & end up blowing up their guns. The better round is not always the hotter round.
    Go slow start off with the lightest loads possible & SLOWLY work your way up. The biggest thing is to double check everything & keep a log book. If you do make a mistake without the log book you won't know what went wrong.
    Rifle rounds are the safest to start with IMHO. Like the .223 it is almost impossible to get a double load, the case won't hold that much. The biggest problem starting reloaders run into with the .223 round is case lube. They have too little & get a case stuck in the die, or too much & crinkle the neck of their brass.
    If you want to learn reloading I would suggest getting with someone that has been doing it "successfully" for a few years & let them show you how.

dango and PANDEMIC like this.
  8. PANDEMIC

Gotcha, that explains alot. Thank you I really appreciate it! Yeah for now I'll stay with factory ammo since everything gun related is pretty much already hard enough to find as it is. Guns, ammo, mags, reloading supplies, cleaning supplies etc. But I'll definately look into reloading more once things go back to normal and see if its something I wanna get into.

Again thanks for the advice!

dango likes this.
  9. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Lie to my wife ......? o_O

W.T. Sherman likes this.
  10. SK2344

SK2344 Active Member

I have purchased many firearms in my past but several years ago I decided to taper down my collection and remove all my guns that I do not carry or shoot, so now I have only 3 handguns, a shotgun and a carbine. I go to my LGR every Thursday and I rotate and practice with all my guns every month. I never had a plan when I use to buy guns and It ws more of a Impulse buying which can be quite Addictive and I found that I was getting into that Impulse much too often. Now I have only the firearms I need and shoot all the time!