How do you plan for firearms purchase

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by windjammer69, Jul 9, 2020.

1. windjammer69

windjammer69 Well-Known Member

A few years back I made plans for long term firearms purchases.
    After receiving an unexpected back payment, I decided to invest the rather large amount into a 12 month money market certificate of deposit.
    Then each year as it matures I have funds available for firearms and ammo purchases that do not affect my everyday budget.

Lonewolf Mcquade and Oldoutlaw like this.
  2. aarondhgraham

aarondhgraham Well-Known Member

I follow a budget plan similar to the one Dave Ramsey touts.

This system works by allotting a certain monthly amount of money,,,
    For "every" expenditure you have.

The money I earn each month is all put into in one bank account,,,
    But separated in columns of a spreadsheet.

I allocate $125.00 a month in my "new gun/ammo fund",,,
    If I don't use it up in any given month,,,
    It rolls over to the next month.

It's amazing how quickly that can add up to a tidy sum.

This budget system has helped me manage my finances very nicely,,,
    So there is always a bit of money I can use if I see something I want to buy.

I never use credit!
    Credit cards are the Devil!

Well, I do use a credit card for just about every purchase I make,,,
    I just go on-line and pay it off each and every week.

I haven't paid one penny of interest to my Cabela's Card in over 20 years now,,,
    And those Cabela Bucks add up to a tidy little nest egg as well.

Aarond

Lonewolf Mcquade likes this.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

I did without new "toys" from age 22 until age 50, now I get it if I want it for the most part.

4. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

I look, I see, I want, I buy.

5. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Same here . If i want it i buy it, Only bills i have are my utilities and insurances. And property taxes. Im about done buying guns. Bought a lot the last few years. Now im upgrading reloading equipment and stocking up on loading supplies.

6. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Yup, I'm also just about done buying guns. Just bought my AR a while ago. And now just keeping my eye out for some more ammo to stock up on and I'm done.

I've also stopped shooting and it will probably stay that way for a while since ammo is getting harder to find.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If I want it I buy it. to a point.

But I have one other little thing I do.

I go through my safe and look at currently owned guns and ask 3 quesrtions.

1. does it have sentimental value?
    2. Have I fired it in the last 2 years?
    3. Is it likely to increase in value or "collectability?"

If the answers are all no, I sell it and use the money to buy the new one that i want.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I wish I could do that. Mine is getting full. My wife looked in my safe and said you have too many guns. I remarked 6 of them are yours and the subject was dropped.

9. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I look at a gun and go, OOOOOOOOH I want that!!!!! Next thing you know, like magic, I own it... It's MUCH less nowadays just because I have a lot less "wants" and really no "needs" as I age...

10. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Interesting question. If I feel like I'd like to own it and I have the money, I'll buy it. I'm done buying junk as junk 10 years later is still junk. "Commemoritives" hold no appeal for me but classic firearms are always welcome. Always wanted to try a drilling, so morphing unused stuff is my "plan". At my age, I'm building an "estate", not a "collection".

11. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

For a long time,I bought every single firearm that I wanted when the funds were available. Once I filled up 3 great big safe's,I did a reality check and sold off a bunch of them that I never shot,or just had several in the same cartridge size.
    Hell,I bought a new S&W M&P 40 S&W yesterday. I traded in a Ruger LCR 22 magnum that I inherited from my best friend and didn't like one bit (The pistol). So I got a $540 pistol for $200,kinda hard to pass that deal up.

I'll probably go up to Ft.Worth this weekend to the gun show,and if I see something I want,I'll buy it. That's about as far a I plan when I buy something!

Lonewolf Mcquade and Rifling82 like this.
  12. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

I don't have a "plan" for firearms purchase, if a firearm appeals to me, I bought it, that simple. when you're debt free own your own home have no wife, no kids all the money is yours to spend any way you want. :D

since I bought all the firearms that appealed to me, all milsurplus firearms, there is nothing on the market that even "tickles my fancy" to get. I don't bother going to gun shows, gun stores, "shop on line" any longer, simply because there is nothing else for me to buy

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  13. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

14. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

I am applying to be Locutus' lawyer friends next Granddaughter. Screenshot_20200710-110229_Chrome.jpg

15. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I get a hankering. I call it new gun fever. Sometimes I'll have to wait for my tax refund...but I always seem to manage to get what I want and still have enough to pay the mortgage.

As long as I can pay my share of the bills, the wife is okay with my gun purchases.

16. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Pretty much just buy ammo now each month to stock up.

I have all the handguns and long guns I need to do anything I will need to do.

Rifling82 and schnuffleupagus like this.
  17. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I really do not have a set plan.
    But usually depends on what I call my scale method in.
    Desire vs. Need? Then mentally plant the seed in my mind.
    • But usually it starts with seeing something I might like or need. Then do some research on it including reading what others think of it. Good or Bad! Then I plant the seed in my mind and see if the desire grows or need. When it comes to precision rifles I usually get an opportunity to shoot the particular rifle. (Like the Ruger Precision Rifle who even today the seed has been planted in my mind! But still weighing out the need which is Zero!)
    • Since I have 4 precision rifles at the present! But still dealing with the desire to have one!:rolleyes: With hand guns it mostly depends on the use I would have for it. Or being addicted as I am I must admit when it comes to firearms, simply because I do not have one!:p Including various guns or various calibers.:)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  18. schnuffleupagus

I think i will have buy a BCM AND a Daniel Defense Carbine for comparison testing. See how they compare to the original Colt HBar and the Tavor, totally different POU than the Verminator

Lonewolf Mcquade and Ghost1958 like this.
  19. schnuffleupagus

Need? Whats need got to do with it?

Lonewolf Mcquade and JTJ like this.
  20. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Lol.

Honestly I'm not what alot here would consider a " gun enthusiast ".

I was raised with guns, carried one most of my life, . I can work on em, I'm trained with em. I shoot some about every other day.

But that said, I have reliable guns , each one with a purpose in the model brand and platform I rely on.
    I dont collect guns. They are kind of like chainsaws to me. I know which ones i need, and the caliber brand and platform i want to cover all my needs or possible needs in the future.

I have all those bases covered except I continually shoot and stock ammo.