How do you like your AK?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Millitard777, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Millitard777

Millitard777 New Member

Ask style guns come in two different looks. The original look with a wooden stock and wooden grip or the newer tactical versions with m4 stocks, rails, brakes, and lots of other things thrown onto it to make it a better weapon. I think we can all agree that the tactical versions are better if you want results. But the question is which one looks better. Obviously there is no right or wrong it is just opinion but I Want to see what others like more. Personally I like a combination. I like all black AK's but no rails other than the standard top one. I know that most people like the look of the wood ones more but would choose the tactical one for its results on targets. Lots of people think that I would be getting the worse of both but I like how the black looks and like the feel of the smooth hand guards. Anyways I've been rambling. I find that the older of the people you are taking to the more they would choose the wooden ones. I am a young shooter so it fits that I would lean towards the more tactical look. Of course not every person in the same age group like the same things but this is just what I've noticed. So tell me which look you prefer and if you've noticed the differences between the ages too.

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

For AKs I like them simple. They weren't really intended to be all tac'd out. The ergos are pretty poor and accuracy is somewhat lacking.for prescision optics though a good red dot on a quick detach rail is a ok addition to speed up handling a bit.

What I really like about the AK is the simplicity so that is how I prefer to keep mine.

[​IMG]

3. DP03

DP03 New Member

Have a pistol model. Lots of fun at the range.

4. indy36

indy36 New Member

I had my pistol turned into a rifle. Why? Why not! If I ever get around to it, once fees are paid and papers sent, I can remove the pinned and silver soldered extended flash hider to make it an SBR, which was the intent, but I'm lazy. Honestly, I like them somewhat traditional, except this one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Dobbie

Dobbie New Member

Just jumped into the AK game on Veterans Day this year. Wife wanted an AK style because the daughter in law has one and she really liked shooting it. Bought a Century Arms C39V2 for $650 at the LGS and I have to say I am pretty impressed after dealing briefly with some ChiCom products. This one is USA made and the parts seem to fit quite closely. Its a milled receiver which is heavier, but is 4140 steel with a nitrided finish. Came with 2 30 round Mag Puls. The first thing I would change is the grip because its a bit too square, but she likes it okay. She wants a muzzle brake instead of the angle cut muzzle currently on it. Haven't looked hard enough at it to see if that is a threaded part and/or if it is, what the thread pitch and direction might be. Took it to the range yesterday and it shoots pretty well, sights seem fairly well regulated, but might fit it with a red dot for her. I like it pretty much the way it is.

6. Mark_Van_Goth

Mark_Van_Goth New Member

I guess that the appearance of the rifle is something important to many, but it is not my case. I would take the tactical(polymer & tactical accessories).Performance & functionality first.

7. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

How do I like my AK?

Warm.

8. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

I like mine just fine, bought a Zastava (former Yugoslavia) NPAP a couple year's back and really like it, very sturdy and exceptionally well-built compared to many others that were handled and fired. A 100% reliable lead spitter that is that perfect rifle for attacking oncoming traffic lol

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

9. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

I am seeing the WASR variety around here as low as $450 right now. Looks like you spent some time on the stock on yours, looks nice

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I like AKs simple, too. Picked up a WASR in 2007, a better sling and lots of surplus mags over the years. It doesn't get much more simple than that.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

i own two ak's ive fired numerous other models including actual full auto real ones. i find them poorly designed with crappy ergonomics. when they break its never an easy fix. i own 2 because the ammo is plentiful the gun itself is cheap and i can hand them off to friends if needed in a crisis.

an ak47 is definately not a rifle i would consider as a rifle i would want to rely on.

12. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Well I only own one and I agree with your comments on the ergonomics so I replaced the stock and grips but have found it to be completely reliable. If it were to fail in a crisis as any mechanical device is prone to do, fixing it would be the last thing on my mind.

13. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Jon, have you had many AK pattern rifles break on you? If so, which models did you use or buy so the rest of us can benefit from your experience and not buy them?

I've seen plenty of eff'd up rifles that were assembled incorrectly and it's usually not something that's simple or easy to fix without a machine shop, but most of that would never be a problem with proper QC at the factory.

I agree that the ergonomics of the AK's are nothing to write home about, but it's not like it's a totally unusable rifle.

My first choice in rifles is still the AR, but I'd never turn my nose up at a properly made AK.

14. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

I understand their limitations and like them old school and somewhat unusual.

A Bulgarian Arsenal 107 and a Chinese 84S:

[​IMG]

And the last one I picked up, one of the WASRs acquired by the contractor SOC USA to arm their Ugandan employees in Iraq. That is was built from a 1964 Ishvesk, is a bit worn and rusty and still crammed full of dust and mud only added to its appeal for me:

[​IMG]

15. Mark_Van_Goth

Mark_Van_Goth New Member

IMO wood is far outdated(including the laminated one, since it adds additional weight).Wood shouldn't be used for a "heavy-duty" weapon(assault rifle, defence weapons, etc).Wood is the prefect material for the furniture of a classy weapon,something its owner should be proud of.A hunting rifle, for example...with decorations and a nice Montecarlo stock.

16. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

and yet, that's exactly what they are renown for, and why any peasant army anywhere in the world can (and does) use them with great effect: they are HIGHLY reliable, can function forever without cleaning, and can endure much abuse before they actually do break. If we are talking torture test, the AK will outlive the AR in many, many scenarios

17. Dobbie

Dobbie New Member

To me, the AK is like a tractor. Reliable, not very comfortable and pretty unexciting to operate.

The AR is more like a sports car. Comfortable, racy, but ya gotta fiddle with it from time to time in order to keep it running properly.

18. Mark_Van_Goth

Mark_Van_Goth New Member

Interesting point of view.But I don't know if I would completely agree with you.The AK is just like an old buddy to me.I was just 17 when I shot it for the first time.It served me well during the war and I had a great time shooting it as civilian.It cannot compete in terms of rate of fire and accuracy with an AR...but...put it in the right hands and it will be as effective as an AR till 220-265 yds(While in the Yugo Army, I personally qualified with 28/30 center mass confirmed hits...and I wasn't the best shooter out there).I hate people when they say the AKs are obsolete or obsolescent.Keep 'em clean & upgrade them.They can still serve you.

19. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

cool to hear your perspective Mark. I'm guessing you were firing Zastava M70's then? A bit more accurate than the other AK variants out there I am told. I have a Yugo NPAP and really like the quality difference versus other imports

the newer AKs, the Zhukov configurations in particular, these have rail systems which allow for optics choices etc. The biggest bad rap AKs get in my opinion from an accuracy standpoint is that you have someone comparing their Aimpoint on an AR to iron sights on an AK. And when an optic IS mounted, oftentimes it is done in such a manner to detract from accuracy

20. Werminator

Werminator Member

I too have an NPap and with a Zhukov stock and Hogue overmold foreend it is extremely comfortable to handle. I love the thing. I have debated buying an AR too but I am having too much fun spending my AR fund on 7.62x39 ammo and paper targets!